It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:15 am

Wii - The Murder Appliance part 2 
WAR SysOp

Post Wii - The Murder Appliance part 2
"Manhunt 2" being banned/rated as adults only

Here's the kicker:

"Given what is already known about the impact of violent games played on standard game controllers, it is irresponsible to make this game available to children and teens on a potentially more dangerous platform."

Considering these 'groups' of people know jack shit about the impact of violent video games on 'standard' controllers, I see a whole new era of "motion sensitive controlers = just like stabbing people in real life ZOMG!" bullshit.

So, my question is about what age will parents be the ones who PLAYED video games and not freak out so much? Surely the people trying to ban video games without actually SEEING THEM OR PLAYING THEM will die. Hopefully soon. They're mostly over 40 anyway. :P

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:11 pm
Chibi-Czar

I give it 20 years. I predict the future of politicians bitching is not about what games are played, but how they are played.

Hypothetical example

Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:24 pm
Chibi-Czar

Location: Liverpool, England, HCCCP, Milky Way, Microsoft Universe XP ver 1.3.6
What pisses me off is the utter shite that the parents of a murdered boy came out with after that terrible happening.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leic ... 767623.stm - BBC Article on Banning.

Quote:
The original Manhunt game caused huge controversy and was blamed for the murder of Stefan Pakeerah.

The boy was stabbed and beaten to death in Leicester in February 2004.

His parents believe the killer, Warren LeBlanc, 17, was inspired by the game.

Stefan's mother, Giselle Pakeerah, had condemned the sequel, branding the gaming industry "morally irresponsible".

"We have been campaigning against these games for a long time and the BBFC made the right decision," she said.

Police said robbery was the motive behind the attack on Stefan in Stokes Wood Park on 26 February 2004 - and not the video game blamed by Stefan's parents.

More cheap shots from a generation that doesn't understand that senseless killing is not just a part of war anymore, that there are nutters out there who will kill because they just have something wrong with them and are determined to blame something they have neither played nor understand. I think it persoanally cheapens the life of their son to think this way, but I'm biased. Anyone who does not recognise the boudary between reality and fiction obviously has something wrong with them. Plenty of people play these games and don't go out the next day and kill someone. More overhyping and exaggeration of a virtually non-existent problem by blind parents trying desperately to find some meaning in their sons pointless and horrific killing. I know that they cannot accept that he died for nothing but a few quid and some psycho's sick fantasy. But that doesn't mean what they are now doing is right.

End of rant.[/b]

Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:56 am
Chibi-Czar

My reservation is not the 98%+ of the population who play shoot-em-up games with no least desire to do anything untoward. It's the fraction of 1%- who are sufficiently warped that they view FPS games as training simulators, and the disproportionate effect their learned behavior has on the rest of us. I submit, however, that the cost to liberty of banning such games is greater than the cost to life from that fraction.

Yet, the cost to life can indeed be horrific.

What to do instead? Perhaps we can make the game ratings system more than the bad joke it currently is. Why not actually follow the restrictions that are implied by the guidelines that put an "MA" label on a game cartridge? We already legally bar juveniles from buying firearms, and those are only the means that sociopaths use to inflict mayhem. How about barring juveniles from the methodology that sociopaths use to inflict mayhem?

I don't hold out much hope of that. Ran across something this morning that illustrates what happens when a Parliament, Home Office, and Police Service are given to hysteria...

"Tough times don't last. Tough people do."

"You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it."

Token Reactionary S.O.B.

Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:10 pm
Chibi-Czar

Location: Liverpool, England, HCCCP, Milky Way, Microsoft Universe XP ver 1.3.6
Thanks MJD. Though I admit reading back what I wrote that I'm a little biased and unfeeling towards the boys parents and to older people in particular. So sorry about that, and the typos. I was slightly annoyed.

My suggestion would be to try and ID these wannabe Terminators as early as possible and get them some help. However implementing such an initiative on a countrywide scale would be difficult to say the least I'm thinking. Also I'm sure we'd all just go on about more civil liberties being encroached upon and suchlike. Really I'm not sure what can be done about this. Hell, I remember buying GTAIII from a game shop on my own when I was but 14 years old. And that game had a massive '18' label all over it. I don't think the sales guys take the game ratings as seriously as film ratings. Even though they are issued by the same government department in the UK and look exactly the same.

It's a shame really. I guess I'll have to import it somehow from the states for the PC.

Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:33 pm
Chibi-Czar

You're welcome. *chuckles* Well, shit, I'd offer to pick it up for you myself, just on general principles, but I've no idea how to get it past Customs inspectors, and I suspect neither one of us needs that kind of heat coming down on us right now...

The thing I find striking about the "ban the games" crowd is how closely their remarks resemble those of the "ban the guns" crowd. It never has anything to do with the person who actually did the murder and mayhem, oh no - it's always "those evil [guns/games/books/whatever]" that caused this. Wonder what happened to personal responsibility? Probably flushed down the same memory hole with the rest of the Bill of Rights...

"Tough times don't last. Tough people do."

"You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it."

Token Reactionary S.O.B.

Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:56 pm
WAR SysOp

Personal responsibility is all fine and dandy...until something bad happens, then it MUST be the law's fault, or the company's fault, or the _____

No wonder the arguments always sound so alike. :? Admitting they were wrong is hard for a LOT of people.

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:52 pm