It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 am

All's Fair in Love & War 
Chibi-Czar

Post All's Fair in Love & War
Students lose hands in tug-of-war

This is why you shouldn't bitch when schools ban certain games. You can get seriously hurt doing some of them, and the school doesn't want to be liable for millions.

"Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step to true panic."
--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski

Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:22 pm
Chibi-Czar

Liable for millions? Then we did it to ourselves, when we started opening up law schools...
William Shakespeare wrote:
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

"Tough times don't last. Tough people do."

"You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it."

Token Reactionary S.O.B.

Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:44 pm
Cherub

This seems to have been a freak accident born out of a little bit of stupidity and negligence. Kids have been playing tug-of-war for how many generations now? Throughout all that time, how often have people had their hands torn off?

Unfortunately, this isolated incident is going to give the alarmists the ammo they need to ban tug-of-war from all schools.

Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:35 pm
Chibi-Czar

The biggest problem with modern western society is that isolated incidents are used as the basis for general laws.

This is a perfect example of that.

Another is snowball fights - a kid gets injured once? Ban the game throughout the country.

Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:53 pm
WAR SysOp

Funny how it was just the kids who caused the multi-human tension to focus on their hands who lost them...

Maybe if the damn gym teacher was paying attention...but nooooo! Ropes couldn't be used to hurt people! Never! :?

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:18 pm
Chibi-Czar

How much do you think the kids medical bills, including rehabilitation will come to? How much do you think their court costs will come to to get that? After all, you still need a lawyer even for an out of court settlement. There's a reason the awards are high, the damages are costly.

And I'd like to point out that childhood mortality and morbidity have been dropping, beyond the mere lowering of infectious diseases. There are reasons for this.

"Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step to true panic."
--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski

Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:11 pm
WAR SysOp

True, but adult obesity rates are skyrocketing, and children are, on a general average, becoming dumber. I'm cool with safety. just don't coddle the poor kids.

THIS was an example of bad instruction on part of the teacher, however. So yeah, sue the moron. Hands and wrists are safe? Coming from a childhood where I broke both of my wrists, I know better. Would a teacher say: "Hey kids, why don't you brace the rope around your necks a few times? That way you have your hands and legs free to pull and balance yourselves!"

Even the morons who "anchor" a tug of war around their waists are asking for trouble if the rope snaps one way or another. That's a lot of tension hitting the back muscles and spine all at once.

Am I the only one who remembers the days of tying knots in a rope for hand-holds, but otherwise not literally TYING yourself in the knot? :P

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:52 pm
Chibi-Czar

Mmmf, I've had the sudden horrifying realization it may have been a slipknot - or in other words, a noose. Around the wrists. With the equivalent power of x kids pulling as hard as they possibly can.

Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:22 pm
Chibi-Czar

Location: Liverpool, England, HCCCP, Milky Way, Microsoft Universe XP ver 1.3.6
The biggest problem with modern western society is that isolated incidents are used as the basis for general laws.

This is a perfect example of that.

Another is snowball fights - a kid gets injured once? Ban the game throughout the country.

This has been true since the advent of utter worldwide communication within seconds. Since the first 24hr news channels and since incidents like this made it onto the internet to be viewed by the world (and it's media) instead of being stuck in the local paper.

Shit happens, shit has happened. The lesson is don't tie the rope to yourself. Can we get on with life now please? NOOOOOO! Trauma! Lawyers! Think of the Children!...dear God the world is disappearing up its own arse.

Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:38 pm