It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 pm

Know how I tradtionally bitch about education?... 
Chibi-Czar

Post Know how I tradtionally bitch about education?...
...I may have been incorrect about apportioning blame for how fucked-up the schools are. It's most likely a secondary effect from Mommy and Daddy and their defense ad nauseum of their sweet little angel...

Not my tirade - this one is from Psychology Today: We are producing a nation of punk-ass biatches by pathologically over-protecting our children from real-life learning experiences

IMHO the author nailed it - wish I'd read it earlier. I can kind of understand how we might want to spare our kids the most painful things we carry with us from our own experiences - in my own youth, I've fucked up bad enough that I've been known to publically wish for a brainwipe. But, the harshest lessons are not only the most important ones, they're the lessons we most needed to learn to make us the persons we are today. We shouldn't deprive our own kids of the value of those lessons by protecting them from themselves.

Bottom line? Let's not do that form of child abuse to our kids...

"Tough times don't last. Tough people do."

"You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it."

Token Reactionary S.O.B.

Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:26 am
WAR SysOp

Post Re: Know how I tradtionally bitch about education?...
We need:

-Teachers who give a shit that are willing to prove the knowledge is useful
-Principals who are willing to step in and mediate, not judge based on a lowest common denominator
-Parents who understand that school cannot replace parents, and that it can be worth their hard earned tax dollars
-School Systems that believe that students can and should have a vote
-Schools that foster human contact, protect friendships and treat bullies like any other negative unsocial aspect in society.

Skinned knees are great learning tools...so long as the nurse is there to show the value of first aid, I have no problem with my son coming home with a bloody nose or an F once in a while.

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:25 am