It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 5:56 pm

Brokeback Mountian 

What did you think of Brokeback Mountain?
............WOW. 66%  66%  [ 2 ]
"Save a horse, ride a cowboy" Ha ha! But seriously, it was pretty good. 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Um, I didn't really get anything out of it other than being weirded out. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
It's only encouraged my hate crime activity. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Jake and Heath making out was HAWT! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Brokeback Mountian 
Doom Lobster

Post Brokeback Mountian
Yes, I've been making smarmy jokes about this movie since I first read about it like, three or four months ago in Entertainment Magazine.

So, like, I FINALLY saw the fucking movie, and it was amazing!!! I swear, there's about, oh....five seconds of shock when the, er..."wilderness" finally gets to them...and then it wasn't this controversial movie about gay cowboys.....

.....this movie is purely about love. And the message is strong and true. If you find love, hold on to it. Embrace it. It was apparent that the people behind me in the theatre giggling at the most intimate and moving moments couldn't get past the bum-dart aspect. Their loss for missing the whole point. :roll:

Oh. And Heath and Jake making out made me tingle. :D

~Darren Bolz

Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:57 am
Chibi-Czar

http://www.snafu-comics.com/?strip_id=207

But seriously, I haven't seen it yet - is it rentable yet?

Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:13 am
Chibi-Czar

For SOME reason, I find I have zero interest in a movie about gay cowboys.

Sure, sure, it's about true, pure love- expressed with anal sex. No thanks. I guess my blind moral arrogance and bigotry are blinding me to the real message of the movie about how two cowboys have the right to be sexy and in (greek) love together.

Just to be clear: I don't care. I don't hate it, I'm not going to picket it. I simply have this vast, undending apathy towards Yet Another Movie About How Nice Gays Are. I want a movie to break the mold. Something with maybe a theme like Kill The Fucking Terrorists, or Not All Christians Are Bigots, And Disagreeing With Rights Groups Does Not Make You A Bad Person.

Sorry. Nothing against you, I'm just sick and tired of very artistic movies about gays. And I'm kinda pissed off that people think this is anything but a gay-fantasy movie. (HINT: COWBOYS AREN'T GAY)

Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:25 am
Chibi-Czar

Kill The Fucking Terrorists, or Not All Christians Are Bigots, And Disagreeing With Rights Groups Does Not Make You A Bad Person.

Team America: World Police, Saved!.

I'll get back to you on the last one. I can't remember the title.

"Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step to true panic."
--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski

Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:58 am
Doom Lobster

Tozey, if you actually WATCH the movie, you will see that this is NOT a fantasy story, and in fact it's very sad and confusing for our Rhinestone Cowboys. In fact, it's not a "oh, look how awsome gay people are!" movie. They fuck a lot of people over trying to conceal/hide their love (ie, their wives). It's not a pro-gay or anti-gay movie. It's just a love story, where the main characters happen to be gay.

If you don't want to see it, fine. But in that case, I'm not sure why you even posted an opinion on something you know nothing about.

~Darren Bolz

Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:31 am
Chibi-Czar

It's just a love story, where the main characters happen to be gay.

And yet, when they had "Just a kiss, where the main characters happened to be of different races," there was huge debate over the Kirk-Uhura kiss. Why would that be? Goodness, I wonder if it had anything to do with the affirmation of the characters, rather than emphasis on the specific act.

I find the comparison pretty strong, since in the 60's black women weren't well known for running naval ships, and it was pretty clearly a social/political statement. Since gay cowboys are still as rare as black female naval officers were, it's also fairly obvious that this movie is making a social/political statement. The writers made the characters gay on purpose. They didn't roll dice to decide the gender of the characters. "Just happened to be" is a phrase that can be applied to history, not fiction.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:08 am
Chibi-Czar

Team America was pretty kickass.
But Saved! was a satire of Christianity, not pro-Christian.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:09 am
Chibi-Czar

I think I'm with Toze on this one... I'm not going to go watch it. Though I'm not going to declare it Spawn O Da Debil and fire a cluster missile barrage at it either.

:twisted:

SysOp edit: Please reserve all mecha-combat for reviews about movies with mecha-combat in them. :)

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:06 pm
Doom Lobster

In fact, on that note, this poll is to ask what people who have ACTUALLY seen this movie what they thought, not what your preconcieved notions on it are. I don't care if you don't want to see this movie, but I also don't agree that you can establish an educated opinion without having seen the film.

~Darren Bolz

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:51 pm
Doom Lobster

Gay people fall in love too, believe it or not. Here's a story about it. Here's some of the struggles that occured during said love story because of lack of education/understanding/tolerence.

Disclaimer: careful...you may actually like this movie

Second disclaimer: if you do, it doesn't mean you're gay. :)

~Darren Bolz

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:56 pm
Chibi-Czar

In fact, on that note, this poll is to ask what people who have ACTUALLY seen this movie what they thought, not what your preconcieved notions on it are. I don't care if you don't want to see this movie, but I also don't agree that you can establish an educated opinion without having seen the film.
Meh, I waited for Team America to reach video, I can wait for this one. I'll let ya know :wink:

"Tough times don't last. Tough people do."

"You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it."

Token Reactionary S.O.B.

Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:31 am
Chibi-Czar

I also don't agree that you can establish an educated opinion without having seen the film.

Oh, really?
*ahem*
So, if experience is the only valid basis for judgement- if reason and report are not enough to form educated opinion- then I MIGHT ask, I think, what your "educated opinion" is on, say, murder.

I mean, you've never EXPERIENCED it.
You've only heard reports about it!
You've only drawn conclusions about murder from what people have told you.
So you don't agree that you can establish an educated opinion without having seen murder performed.

I'm sure you'll warn me that "movies and murder" aren't the same thing. Quite true. But "educated opinion" is the same as "educated opinion," and if its formation must follow experience, then we're all beggared, aren't we?

PS: Does it not occur to you that some people might want to avoid the movie, because, even though it's a lovey-dovey gay drama, it might be terribly offensive to them? SHOCK! But how could they form an opinion about gay cowboys without having seen the gay cowboy movie? Goodness! Think of all the straight cowboys who are EVER so uneducated in their opinion that gay cowboy movies are a load of horseshit.

Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:17 am
Chibi-Czar

moving on.... i liked it. it was just wonderful. of course this is the guy who goes to girls anime night at the local store instead of the guys (sometimes both)

Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:01 am
Doom Lobster

PS: Does it not occur to you that some people might want to avoid the movie, because, even though it's a lovey-dovey gay drama, it might be terribly offensive to them? SHOCK! But how could they form an opinion about gay cowboys without having seen the gay cowboy movie? Goodness! Think of all the straight cowboys who are EVER so uneducated in their opinion that gay cowboy movies are a load of horseshit.

Tozetre, I form my opions about murder on how real events over a period of my lifetime and thousands of years have basically told or taught that taking another life is not condoned. Not from one movie in the last five years. In fact, comparing love to MURDER? If that's what you need to do to prove a point.......

And, really, the POINT is, go ahead and avoid the movie if you want! I don't remember telling people they have to see this movie or else.
I'm not interested in talking about gay politics. I'm interested in what people who saw this movie think about it.Quit fucking making more about it than there needs to be. You and the media, start a different thread to talk about how terrible and stupid this movie is (without seeing it) and leave this thread alone.

~Darren Bolz

Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:58 pm
Doom Lobster

I'm not even kidding, Tozetre. If you have this many issues with a fucking movie you haven't even seen, maybe start a thread in the Politics section. Because in Omnimedia, all I'm seeing in you is a chance to be high-brow about something.

~Darren Bolz

Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:06 pm
Chibi-Czar

That's like the twentieth time I've been accused of being arrogant because I was trying to make a point about the nature of truth and perception.

So yeah. I'm a fucking horrible, arrogant son of a whore! I don't deserve freedom of speech. I'm a goddam great blustery idiot, and the only reason I ever say anything is to hear myself speak, because I think I sound so goddam great.

So I'll just STOP here, and not make any more posts, because I'm a great fucking jackass.

Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:45 pm
Moderator of Pain!

Okay........ time for cooler heads to prevail (Incidently, I can't believe that I'm considering myself anything but a hothead, but whatever.)

Is this the state the world has come to? Where art, moving pictures and other pictures can cause so much negative energy that the forum now almost has become someplace where flamewars can occur just for posting.

I say no!

This is a place where anyone can make their voice heard, but when the vitriolic and written ejaculate spews forth from the Current Events and Politics forum I gotta make a stand.

.....I had a point somewhere, now where did I leave it, ah there it is.

Hooze, I haven't yet seen the movie, so until I do, there'll be no positive or negative review from me.

Toze, I see nowhere in this thread anyone calling you an arrogant bastard except for yourself. You don't want to see the movie, fine. Personal feelings aside, if you want to voice an opinion about how cowboys aren't gay go ahead. But this is about a work of fiction. *Waves his hands around* with fictional characters. :P

Truly, this is a sad state of affairs when any art can cause such a furor amongst people who were once friends. All of this over a movie? C'mon people.

See it or don't, doesn't really matter, but when written sabre-fights like this happen over a movie it's gotta stop.

Now I'll go back to being a hermit, tra-la-la everyone :)

Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:35 pm
Doom Lobster

See it or don't, doesn't really matter, but when written sabre-fights like this happen over a movie it's gotta stop.

I genuinely thank you for poking your head into this one, because I've seen this happen in other threads, and it takes the fun out of things.

I apologize for getting "all up ons" about this subject. :oops: To Toze, the point I was trying to make is I just wanted to hear feedback from viewing the movie. I will leave it at that. There's no need to make ultimatums about not posting ever again. This has been made into a bigger deal than it needs to be.

Otherwise, I look forward to reading any responses to seeing the film, good or bad.

~Darren Bolz

Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:29 am
Chibi-Czar

Anony-mouse wrote:

Team America was pretty kickass.
But Saved! was a satire of Christianity, not pro-Christian.

Saved! was a satire of those who use their religion as a weapon. The Pat Robertson, "Katrina was caused by gays" types. Remember, everyone in that movie, all the protagonists save the Jewish girl, was Christian.

--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski

Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:04 pm
WAR SysOp

8)

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:50 pm
Chibi-Czar

seriously, this is turning into 4chan.

Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:49 pm
Chibi-Czar

And Disagreeing With Rights Groups Does Not Make You A Bad Person.

I remembered the name of the movie, 28 Days Later. (I really don't see how I forgot that.) An animal rights group caused the plague.

--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski

Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:03 pm
WAR SysOp

A stroke of genius. However, they were retards...if some scientist looks at you like he's just seen a ghost and tells you the animals you're about to free are infected...Shit, I'd be like: "Okay man, uhm...we'll just file a complaint then."

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:52 pm
Chibi-Czar

Ration and fanaticism rarely go together. By the time you get to breaking into places to free animals, you're likely to believe a scientist experimenting on animals is a minion of the devil.

--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski

Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:21 am