It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:17 am

Zuney goodness 
Ni - Master

Post Zuney goodness
So the other day I decided to go out and purchase a zune. I love the thing, have my entire song collection on it with gigs to spare, a few movies, everything. I've heard a few people say, however, that zune's suck. I've spent a lot of time tinkering with it, and other then a wireless feature I never use it seems indistinguishable from an Ipod video. Can anyone enlighten me as to if there's anything wrong with the Zune?

"No, a vigilante is just a man lost in the scramble for his own gratification. He can be destroyed, or locked up. But if you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal, and if they can't stop you, you become something else entirely.
"Which is?"
"A legend."

Mon May 21, 2007 4:41 pm
Chibi-Czar

http://playlistmag.com/news/2006/11/24/ ... lsrc=mwrss

* Hardware issues. Users and reviewers are discovering that the Zune is a little too bulky and heavy. As Palm discovered long ago, a large device can feel smaller if the designers round off the edges. Microsoft ignores this lesson of gadget history, with its boxy, blocky design.
* Wi-Fi is nice, but you can?t connect to anything but another Zune.
* Compatibility issues. Zune will not work even with the vast majority of Microsoft?s own operating systems?forget about Mac, Linux, Unix or any other operating system. At the moment, Zune works only with Windows XP. Microsoft promises full support of Vista by January.
* Zune doesn?t support PlaysForSure, Microsoft?s own certification standard for music files, and it is incompatible with common media formats such as DivX, OGG, protected WMV and WMA-DRM9. It plays movies, but you can?t buy them from the Zune Marketplace yet. And Zune isn?t ready for podcasting. You can?t, for example, use Marketplace to subscribe to podcasts via RSS and have them automatically show up and sync. Marketplace at deadline had no podcasting section.
* Usability issues. The Zune software installation process needs a lot of work. Like Xbox Live and many other Microsoft consumer media products, the out-of-box experience is ruined by endless screens demanding personal information and Windows Live ID membership. And the whole Microsoft Points thing represents more needless harassment. Why can?t I buy a music player without being dragged into a Windows Live membership and forced to use Microsoft?s weird Monopoly money?
* Zune stops playing current music during Wi-Fi, peer-to-peer music transfer, so you sit there in silence while waiting for the download.

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,100 ... 77b,00.htm

http://www.consumerist.com/consumer/zun ... 217175.php

"These devices are just repositories for stolen music, and they all know it," said Doug Morris, CEO of Universal Music Group. "So it's time to get paid for it."

Well, Morris is just a big, clueless idiot, of course. Do you honestly want morons like him to have power over your music player? Then go ahead and buy a Zune. You'll find that the Zune Planet orbits the music industry's Bizarro World, where users aren't allowed to do anything that isn't in the industry's direct interests."

On Moral Issues:

"Throw in the Zune's tail-wagging relationship with music publishers, and it almost becomes important that you encourage people not to buy one."

More inside.

On Compatibility:

"Zune is incompatible with Windows Media Player, the familiar hub of the Windows desktop media experience.
The Zune app doesn't even have as many features as WMP. And why (for the love of God) doesn't it support podcasts? That's pure insanity."

Sun-Times Prediction:

"Result: The Zune will be dead and gone within six months. Good riddance"

Ok, so the Zune is probably not a good buy. Beware, yadda, yadda. First generation devices are a bad buy, regardless. So why are we writing about it? Obviously, we just wanted to run this picture again. Zune, so frustrating, you'll put your eye out. ?MEGHANN MARCO

http://www.christianmontoya.com/2007/01 ... -the-zune/

http://www.cliczune.com/2006/09/top_6_things_th.html

etc etc etc.

Basically, the Zune is a crippled gimp of an iPod. Had potential before the lawyers and the RIAA got control of the device.

Mon May 21, 2007 5:12 pm
Chibi-Czar

If you have any problems with it.. let me know.. i work for MS, i have a few friends who are in the ZUNE support center.. which is only in Ottawa,Canada ^_^

Tue May 22, 2007 6:43 am
Chibi-Czar

I actually own a zune, and only 2 things irritate me.

1. The software installation sucks, hard, like hopefully it installs the first time without problems. Afterwards it tries to sync everything on your computer to itself, which if you have any sizable video collection, guess what it tries first and the auto sync is a pain in the ass to turn off.

2. You can't ever, ever format and reinstall windows, because it forces you to format the device when you put it into a "new" computer.

Other than those two points having a zune has been pretty nice, the video screen looks great while playing videos, the xbox 360 support is nice and it does play movies not formatted to its exact screen and frame rate specs.

Wed May 23, 2007 6:42 pm