It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 am

Second Thoughts in the UK on Gun Bans 
Chibi-Czar

Post Second Thoughts in the UK on Gun Bans
Doubtless, this Op-Ed will provoke outrage amongst the sheeple:

"Could it be that we have taken the weapons bans a bit too far?
"Meh, could be..."

"Tough times don't last. Tough people do."

"You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it."

Token Reactionary S.O.B.

Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:32 pm
Chibi-Czar

Try banning guns in Texas :lol: And you'll have every redneck with a Deer Hunting liscense looking down a scope or ironsight at you.

"Dissarm us, I dare you..."

Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:47 pm
WAR SysOp

Well come ON...they take away guns from COPS half the time...

Very much agree. "A bit too far" :roll:

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:50 pm
Chibi-Czar

Location: Liverpool, England, HCCCP, Milky Way, Microsoft Universe XP ver 1.3.6
I can't find the story right now but it's very relavent to this.

A few years ago a farmer caught a burglar in his house. He told him to drop the stuff and get out. He raised his shotgun and repeated the warning, he then said clearly that if the burglar did not leave he would open fire. The burglar attempted to attack and neutralise the farmer, who shot him in the thighs and rear. Farmer went to jail for a year for GBH and was fined the medical costs of the burglar and the trial. The burglar was fined a relatively small amount for trespass. Welcome to UK law. :roll:

I have come around to the idea of concealed carry licensed firearms, after as it turns out listening to MJD and looking at the murder stats presented. Gun crime over here is starting to get out of hand in a MAJOR way. Last week there were three shootings in Liverpool alone that made the news. God knows how many don't with all the gangland council estate violence and drug running that goes on. One of the shootings involved a teenager thought to be under 18 shooting and killing an 11 year old boy who was on his way back from football practice. He drove by the kid on his BMX...I mean Jesus Christ. The kid wouldn't've had a gun but...it just shows how bad it's getting.

I personally would be in favour of a law change but...thing is there'd need to be a change in murder law too. At the moment as I know, there is no case of 'justifiable self-defense' as there is in the US. There's murder, then manslaughter, then accidental death in self-defense, which you still get put away for by the way. Same years as manslaughter I believe...

Oh brave new world that has such people in it...

Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:41 pm
Chibi-Czar

I've heard variations of that particular horror story, plus others, in various places (http://www.thehighroad.org is one such place, if you can tolerate the occasional tinfoil-hattiness). [rhetorical question] How did we get so far upside-down and bass-ackwards to hammer the defender instead of the aggressor? [/rhetorical question]

Yeah, you'd need more than a few changes. There's a whole chapter of my state's penal code entitled "General Principles of Justification" outlining in mind-numbing detail self-defense, defense of another, defense of property (sorry, the BG has to actually be burgling your house while you're in it, or doing a robbery or aggravated assault against you before you can pop him - not quite a "Make my day" law. :P ) Unfortunately, the last several years have erased a lot of the internalized knowledge of firearms in the UK, so you'd probably have to tack on an extended training requirement to your licensing (I'd suggest maybe a Saturday afternoon class each week for about ten to twelve weeks, with sat completion of tests and qualifications might be a good notional figure)

But the real key is a change of mindset. As long as the people in charge continue to think that you can't be trusted to protect yourself, they'll continue to deny you the right to do so (vide your farmer). Something I firmly believe is that, at bottom, if the BGs are willing to ignore the laws against murder and mayhem, why would they stick at mere weapons bans? Weapons bans simply make easier victims for the BGs. Granted, the EU would have a conniption fit, but, frankly, I've never been so sure the EU was such a great idea anyway...

(And, at the risk of sounding like I should be trying on a tinfoil hat myself, I'd also point out to the people who fear a McBushitlerburton-type takeover that enough armed and mistrustful citizens can cause a would-be oligarch to give up the whole idea as a bad job - but, as stated, that's a bit tinfoil-hattish for my taste)

"Tough times don't last. Tough people do."

"You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it."

Token Reactionary S.O.B.

Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:30 am