"Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step to true panic."
--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski

Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:41 am
Chibi-Czar

States blew its wad all over the middle east, and that's not money/equipment/goodwill/people/weapons/resources that's ever going to come back, ever.

China, meanwhile, has spent more time, and far, far more money and resources, stockpiling such money/equipment/weapons/resources/people, if not goodwill, so much.

Most tellingly:

Quote:
Although the Army and Marines are increasing their troop levels by 92,000, the Air Force had announced plans to cut its costs by reducing 40,000 personnel. That plan had to be scaled back, however, because of the need for support for the larger number of ground troops.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:50 am
WAR SysOp

Trying to put ranting aside for other areas of the board, I can only point out that this is an excellent example of picking and choosing your battles badly.

The US military has been stretched out fighting engagemtns that have questionable original and long-term reasons, and now they wonder why things look so bleak when facing the one kid on the block who could actually beat them up?

It's a good thing...thus far...China is peaceful, and seems to be focusing on defense instead of offensive platforms. I have no doubt in my mind that if they did attack the US, America would rise up and fight back with all the fevor and passion that the current White House WISHES they had behind their current campaigns. I just question how many people would be left after a modern-day Pearl Harbor style sneak-attack when you're dealing with modern military hardware VS - basically - the Coast Guard and some reserves stationed at home.

It certainly calls into question the tactical intellegence of the world's previous "super powers".

This is an especially bad blow to the country who's major wins in almost every modern theater has been via Air-Superiority.

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:56 am