It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:16 am

Tuesdays With Neil... 
Chibi-Czar

Post Tuesdays With Neil...
So... on Tuesday (November 14, now officially documented and signed as the best day of my life) Neil Gaiman spoke at my little shithole of a school in podunk central Arkansas. He did a workshop for the writing majors and honors students. And then, he did a few autographs and handshakes (both of which I received with prepubescent- girl-at-a-whatever-band-girls-squeal-over-nowadays-like glee) and was gone. Whisked away. But I had to be in class four minutes ago anyhow, so I trudged across campus, told some people their essays sucked in my nonfiction class and sighed.
BUT WAIT!
My wonderful professor, Gary, pulled me aside after class and says to me "You'd like to go eat dinner with Neil, right?" To which I think I replied "Uhhhhh, yeah?!" Or something gurgley that was supposed to be that. So Gary, henceforth the best teacher alive, drove me up to the place of eating where I wined and dined with the entire faculty of the writing department and Neil Gaiman (who, by the way, I am madly in love with, if you couldn't tell). We talked about how large my salad was, how weird Germans are, and how he made the day of some girl with a lip ring that almost fainted when she walked out of the bathroom to find him standing there. :)
He asked me if I had any requests for the reading. I asked him to read something we'd never heard/ that wasn't published yet. And he did.
It is called "Orange" and it is brilliant.

I really just wanted to gloat about eating dinner with my idol... because really, how often does that happen?

Toze has planned out the rest of my life for me, since every other day will suck compared to Tuesday. I am apparently going to marry Legolas AND Frodo.
Good job. My life better rock from now on, or you're so totally fire.

I lie, I suck at firing people.

<33333

Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:17 am
WAR SysOp

NEIL GAIMAN WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!

<clears throat> I mean...uhm...

How wonderful to spend time chatting and dining with such an accomplished writer!

Pictures? 8)

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:44 am
Chibi-Czar

Woah etc.

That's total win. I can't even top it, that rocks.

And now you've got me intensely curious about 'Orange.' :)

Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:54 am
Chibi-Czar

:(
I was too jittery and nervous to ask him for a photo. I almost passed out when I was seated next to him at the table. But I can tell you that he smells like leather and, for some reason, coffee. Also, I have no camera aside from good old telephone... and that one sucks balls.

Damn, I should have gotten a photo!

Also again: "Orange" is a short story (coming out maybe next year... maybe later) written as if it were answers to a questionnaire but we don't know the questions. It weaves a very strange story about a girl whose sister drinks something and turns into a glowing orange thing who demands to be called Her Imminence. Other than that, I'll just say it also involves aliens, chocolate, and pole dancing.

:)

Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:55 am
Chibi-Czar

this might be the first clelebrety meeting in the WAR, and i DARE anyone to top it :D

Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:39 am
Chibi-Czar

this might be the first clelebrety meeting in the WAR, and i DARE anyone to top it :D

I once met Captain Lou Albano at the local mall. I caught him leaving, so I must have just missed some kind of event.

He looked kind of sad and that made me sad. :(

Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:11 am
Chibi-Czar

And it's frawsome that the man is giving back by hitting the schools like that.

I'm envious...

"Tough times don't last. Tough people do."

"You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it."

Token Reactionary S.O.B.

Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:33 am
WAR SysOp

Well, Neil Gaiman would be at LEAST on par...but I did get to meet and chill out with Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins during their farewell tour. SO...COOOL!

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:27 pm
Doom Lobster

YES!!! We sure did. We just stepped out of the car on Whyte Ave after a five hour drive and there he fucking was!! He smelled good. When I was the assistant manager at Crabtree and Evelyn (some international fragrance and nicknakc store) I found out that he bought his cologne from there. I would spend moments alone in the store smelling it and remembering. hehehe. Yes, I am creepy.

If you need to marry Frodo, the apprentice at the tattoo shop might suffice, as that's what I've nicknamed him. He's little.

~Darren Bolz

Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:33 am