It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 am

History & Moral Philosophy... not the quiz. 
Chibi-Czar

Post History & Moral Philosophy... not the quiz.
In respect for Mouse's post, I'm going elsewhere. Do not read this unless you're bored. I have a non-standard answer.

. keep going if you want to read.

The answer to all seven situations is do nothing, but pick up the phone, dial 911, and alert emergency crews. The idiots standing on the tracks are bound to notice the extremely large and loud express train bearing down on them if they aren't unconcious or brain dead, and jump their asses out of the way. And you have no idea how many hundred people may be on said runnaway express train. Flipping the switch to an alternate track may result in premature derail before someone onboard finally manages to bring it under control.

Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:08 pm
Chibi-Czar

Yeah, there's any number of solutions that include rules-breaking, all of which would and did run through my mind first. I suspect the questions are to point out or discover each person's moral limits, etc., so cheating doesn't count.

Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:47 pm
Chibi-Czar

I like to think outside the box at times. Trouble is, people keep trying to pack me in a shipping crate. Damn bastages.

Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:09 pm
Chibi-Czar

Post Re: History & Moral Philosophy... not the quiz.
admiraltigerclaw wrote:
The answer to all seven situations is do nothing, but pick up the phone, dial 911, and alert emergency crews.

BZZT!

The correct answer is "whip out your cell phone cam and record the inevitable tragedy, then sell the juicy footage to whichever news channel wants it most." :twisted:

Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:05 pm
Chibi-Czar

2. No
3. No
4. No
5. No
6. No
7. No, No

I don't make choices between lives. In any event, stoping the train may cost lives, despite what is used. I'd rather try to get the dipshits off the track. If that fails, oh well. Natural selection.

(Yes, I'm a cold hearted bastard.)

Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:26 pm
WAR SysOp

This is why I needed clarification, because on several of them, there was no mention that it would be impossible to warn the people on the track.

If I could see them, and a train was coming, I could probably start shouting: "YOU MORONS! THERE'S A TRAIN COMING!"

That solves at least half. :P

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:19 pm
Ni - Master

Ok, I'm assuming that all things are equal, these people are deaf and can't hear me telling them to get out of the way, and so forth, so I'll play by the rules.

1. No. I systematically refuse to take another person's life, simply because the alternative is other people dies. If I flip the switch, person dies because I chose them to die, and thus it is murder. If I do nothing, then the other people die because they were strolling on train tracks.

2.Yes. Who knows what might happen if I give them that extra time.

3. Yes. The price of the object is of no relevance next to human life.

4. Assuming that his is an actual walrus, then yes

5. No. See #1. Even if I think that this person contributes nothing to society, that still does not give me permission to take another human life to save another.

6. No.

7. I'll pull the lever and warn Fred.

"No, a vigilante is just a man lost in the scramble for his own gratification. He can be destroyed, or locked up. But if you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal, and if they can't stop you, you become something else entirely.
"Which is?"
"A legend."

Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:35 pm