It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:24 am

home-pwner 
Chibi-Czar

Post home-pwner
so I've been in my new home about a month now, and got the first batch of bills. its interesting to see firsthand how much power and water I use- turns out the guy I was renting my last room from was full of shit about how much I owed for utilities. isnt moral superiority fun? :P

Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:22 pm
Chibi-Czar

Location: The Frozen North of the Upper Peninnsula of Michigan
were it not for the fact that the guy I'm renting from runs a twenty-five unit beowolf cluster in the basement (and thus utilities are a flat rate, 'cause he's the biggest user), I'd have all my stuff running through those things that track how much power you use, to prove how much of the bill I owe.

But yeah, you'd be surprised how little power some of your stuff actually drains when you rig it right.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:43 pm
WAR SysOp

Biggest average power draw in a household is still the fridge. Overclock to your hearts content. ^_^

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:42 pm
Chibi-Czar

Unless it's a Texas Summer... then it's the AC.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:46 pm
Chibi-Czar

My room has 4 computers in it. If I ran all of them at 100%, and had the monitors on, I would match something like two fridges.

Since I only run the one, and that only 4 or 5 hours a day, and that not at full power, I don't think I top the microwave or stove.

Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:27 am
Chibi-Czar

the funny thing is he kept trying to tell me it was costing him more in power than I was paying in rent! and the combined utilities of my new house cost less by half than what I was paying there in rent.

I will say this in his defense- that house of his was VERY poorly wired

Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:45 pm
Chibi-Czar

Location: The Frozen North of the Upper Peninnsula of Michigan
Don't get me started on crappily built houses. The one I'm living in was built in the thirties, and is almost 100% original. That means the insulation is four inches of empty air between plaster on the inside and cedar shingles on the outside. The windows are single sheets, and the only reason we have electircity in all the rooms is because the owner is a computer/anime geek and ran wires along the baseboards to put three outlets into each room along with upgrading the circuit breaker box.

The house is never more than 50 degrees (fahrenheit) because even with the furnace on full blast, the house leaks heat too fast to get warmer. So we all wear our coats indoors and drink a lot of tea.

And yet, he's so desperate for tenants he only charges $290 a month for rent, utilities (including digital cable), and DSL internet. Considering the next cheapest room in six miles is $350 plus utilities, I'd say I'm getting a good deal. That, and the four-hundred-plus volumes of various manga in the upstairs library :) Nothing beats free anime and manga.

Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:32 pm
Chibi-Czar

another thought- my ex roomate had to have the house at 50 degrees at all damn times (he and our other roomate hate heat with a firery vengence) he had a monster widescreen plasma TV that probably ate more power than a handfull of computers and you add all this in to the bad wiring you might see why he was a little freaked on the power bill.

as for myself I rarely have more than one light on in the house at a time. when its hot I strip down when its cold i wrap up. I also spend more time reading than I do at the TV ( I've beaten most of my games at this point and am too poor to buy new ones... or even used ones come to that)

the guy I'm talking about and I rarely saw one another. at one point four prople were living in that house (we had a 'guy on the couch') the damn widescreen was onso much that the bulb was going out about a half year ahead of when it was suposed to (which put it under warenty, fortunatly- but still an expensive fix) anyway, he was never there wehen I was. our scheduals were at cross-ends. he never believed me when I told him I wasnt using all that damn power, because the guy on the couch used me as a scapegoat apparently.

"no no I didnt play soul caliber for nine hours straight. Lee was playing for a lot of that!"

anyway. I started this thread for the purposes of sharing notes whe nit comes to shrinking bills. what do y'all do to keep the bill-man at bay?

Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:19 pm
Chibi-Czar

B and Sparky and me get the landlord to pay. Guhuhuhu.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:15 pm