It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 am

Best/Worst Job? 
Chibi-Czar

Post Best/Worst Job?
I've been thinking about my short life as a corporate drone and was wondering, what was everyones best and worst jobs.

Mine are:

Best: Projectionist, because you never have to do anything at all, besides toleate loud projectors.

Worst: Stockman for walmart, hah, throwing an entire truck by yourself on the first day, umm... no. Especially when you were initially hired to be a cashier.

Tue May 29, 2007 6:37 pm
Chibi-Czar

Best: Latent Print Analyst - IOW, what I'm doing now. Kinda like the Forensics Instructor put it: "I was CSI before CSI was cool..." :wink:

Worst: floor officer on a guardwalk at the county jail. Underpaid baby-sitter for overaged juvenile delinquents.

"Tough times don't last. Tough people do."

"You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it."

Token Reactionary S.O.B.

Tue May 29, 2007 6:58 pm
Chibi-Czar

Best: Forestry Firefighting in the 2003 fires up in British Colombia. Exhausting, demanding, but the time flied - time and a half after 8 hours, double-time after 12, only allowed to work 30 hours in a single 'day' - camaraderie, phenominal pay, and a feeling of doing something *useful* - sadly, entirely seasonal, and entirely unreliable.

Worst: Killing chickens out of the back of a pickup. Lotta small farmsteads/hobby farms/etc that can't/don't want to do their own slaughtering, we would only do around 300 at a time. Sounds like a lot, but the three of us had a decent setup. One of us would fetch, the other would chop, and the third would de-feather - rotating stations every hour or so. After we had a decent pile, we'd gut 'em all, then start over till it was quiet. God-awful stink, noise, etc., guy was a bit of an asshole, and the pay wasn't that great anyway.

Tue May 29, 2007 8:23 pm
Chibi-Czar

Best: Network Admin and Web 2.0 researcher, my current job. Short hours, decent pay, work from home, and usually goof off while working.

Worst: Door to door novelty item salesman. Commission only job (and the little money I made went directly into my gas tank), had to wear a suit, tie, and dress shoes while walking 8 hours in the summer. Sometimes rude potential customers, sometimes violent. Had to deal with police that didn't think it was a legit company (which we were, even if it WAS crooked). And nothing is more embarrassing than trying to sell giant coloring books on the smuttiest street in Denver.

Thu May 31, 2007 2:10 am
Chibi-Czar

Worst: Wal-mart dairy manager, they enjoyed fucking me raw, and then bitched at me for not being able to work 12 hour shifts (umm hello, single parent anyone) It sucks, cause I worked my ass off, and all I caught was bitching because I wanted to work evenings and not days...

Thu May 31, 2007 2:36 am
WAR SysOp

Best: Teaching at my current job (Telco technician Dispatch/Safety planner)
Good company to work for, awesome pay, good benefits, and above else, a really good, supportive group of people, including managment, which is rare enough to be a major bonus. While I'm not actually training right now, my brief tastes of it were enough to know I want to do it full time. Did I mention they'll pay for my training?

Worst: Wal-Mart night-cleaner.
-Low pay, night-shit, retarded bosses that barely spoke english, and a team of assholes who either didn't give a shit, or figured they were your Lord and Master because they knew how to dislodge gum from the floor. I mean...seriously...the superiority complex of some of these...well...janitors was hillarious in afterthought. At least they didn't MAKE us do the fucking Wal-Mart-Team song/dance at the beginning of the shift. I'd list my worst as a night-stalker at Super Store (for you Americans, they're basically a Wal-Mart wannabe focusing on groceries) for physical exertion...but hell, at least there I actually gained some muscle.

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Thu May 31, 2007 7:23 pm
Ni - Master

Best: Tech support, where I'm working now. Great people, some of the friendliest most laid back people I've ever met, relaxing atmosphere, plenty of downtime for homework and messing around, wireless network for surfing the net and gaming, just all in all uberness. Plus I get the satisfaction of helping people get online whose livelihood depends on their network being operational.

Worst: Working at the McDonalds call center
First of all, near the end the Managers were total jerks, and wanted me to work ridiculous hours. The worst part was that for some reason, when people are in front of a drive through speaker, they forget they're talking to an actual person so they act like total and complete jerks and assume you must have an IQ of 7. I went home every day after that job feeling like absolute crap.

"No, a vigilante is just a man lost in the scramble for his own gratification. He can be destroyed, or locked up. But if you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal, and if they can't stop you, you become something else entirely.
"Which is?"
"A legend."

Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:46 am
Chibi-Czar

Observation: funny how so many of us are currently doing the "best" job, isn't it? Almost by definition: if it weren't the "best" in our minds, we'd be doing something else...

"Tough times don't last. Tough people do."

"You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it."

Token Reactionary S.O.B.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:22 pm
Chibi-Czar

Worst Job: Price Chopper. Working as underpaid menial labour on a team where everyone else (except for Produce and Deli) were stealing everything they could. Got fired after the theives screwed me over for trying to do honest work. Never went back to that type of job.

Best: McDonalds, Kitchen. Covering the lunch rush, working on a good team of people I could count on. Nice managers, and stupid part timers. Experience from past jobs had me doing all sorts of easy janitorial duties (mopping floor, cleaning vomit off the drive through, cleaning bathrooms, fixing the Garabage Corral, whatnot) while the part timers slaved away in the kitchens. Don't get me wrong, with a good, organized team, Kitchens are fun and easy, but a lot of the part timers are dumb.

Only real regret was having to leave that job because college got in the way. that and dumb part timers NOT wanting to do their jobs and leaving extra work for me. Though those times were fun. Spending an hour or two of my shift cleaning the Garbage corral because the cardboard is overflowing and there're bags of garbage everywhere. I recall the first time I did it, a manager came to find me because they thought I had skipped out. And said manager had been bitching about the condition of the corral preshift too. Twas great to get that cleaned out, even if I had to get out the ladder and climb into the cardboard dumpster.

Nevertheless, it was a fun, easy job. Got paid more then the supervisors, and did Shift Manager work (without being a shift manager/supervisor) Even though I lacked seniority over the part timers (many of which had been working there for years) I was a full timer, and actually dedicated to doing honest, proper work, and not slacking off all the fucking time. While I CAN lead, and am fairly good at it, I never applied for promotion, as I don't like the added risk that comes with it.

And let me tell you, after a year and a half of cleaning cinemas, McDonalds was the easy life. I still visit them, now and again. They were My People, and We were all good friends. For anyone needing a part time job of some sort, I reccoment McDonalds (well, assuming you can't find anything but grudge work)

Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:53 pm
Chibi

Worst: Seismic crew (oh the pain!)

Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:04 pm
Chibi-Czar

Best: Sno-Cone stand worker. I played FF3 all day and got paid in vodka (and money). Plus, free sno-cones!

Worst: Gymnastics coach. I hate children... teaching four-year-olds to do cartwheels is not a good plan. Also, the little ones don't quite understand the whole "bathroom" thing yet and go in their leotards. Guh.

Right now, I'm somewhere in the middle. Working at a tanning salon is quite easy but as we all learned from "Clerks": This job would be great if it weren't for the fucking customers. Also, cleaning up old-guy butt sweat ain't pretty.

Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:30 am
Chibi-Czar

Post Re: Best/Worst Job?
one of the best jobs I had was working at a lazer tag arena. I got pulled most days to run the breifing where you told all the players the rules and the regs. I got sort of theatrical about it- it was fun to ham up. also- free games! I miss having a half dozen of thos places artound, but somewhere around 1998 they all went away. damnit

Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:04 am
WAR SysOp

The one in Calgary here is EPIC.

Had a huge work-peeps bash. 25 peeps from work/former work all running round a maze with lazors.

It was a night I'll never forget. :P

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:46 am
Chibi-Czar

Location: The Frozen North of the Upper Peninnsula of Michigan
Worst Job: 'Sales Associate' at Rite-Aid (a drugstore, for those who haven't heard of it). By the time I left, I had been trained to do everything in the goddam store, including the pharmacy technician stuff (reading prescriptions was the hardest part of that, actually, the rest was counting pills and running register) the 1-hour photo machine (which often got backed up such that it was more like a 4 or 5 hour wait. After homecoming, we had so much it took three full days to clear it all) and stocking the cooler (the floor of which was so sticky with spilled beer I could hardly move). I never got a raise in two years, and unless it was Truck Day, it was one employee and a manager to do everything in the store. Then I got yelled at for dealing with the customers instead of whatever else had to get done, because I can't instantly teleport from the front of the store to the back. Went back for my first summer after I started college, realized how much it sucked, and never went back into the store again if I could help it.

Best Job: What I do now, which is Build Management for the C130 Avionics Moderization Program at GE Aerospace, out of their Grand Rapids, Michigan offices. I sit at my desk and read fanfics most of the day, do a little writing, and wait for someone to call, email, or walk into my cube and ask me to compile the project. With all the scripts I've written to handle it, I could train a monkey to do the job, but then I'd get fired. I occasionally get other tasks assigned to me, but never anything too complex, and I have to put together reports, but there's a whole lot of dead time where I'm just on call, ready to respond at a moments notice.

2nd place: Janitor work back in college. Evening shift was sweeping/mopping stairs or taking out the trash. Trash was quick work that I only did when I had somewhere else to be. With stairs, I took the mop, and sat on my duff for half an hour reading a book while the guy with the broom got far enough down that I wouldn't run him over doing my bit. Then we went to the next stairwell and repeated it. Morning shift on weekends started at 7am, went until 11am, and was the easiest work in the world. Regular work was minimum wage, but cleaning bathrooms payed 3 buck an hour extra, and I could do my entire floor in an hour and a half. An agreement with the student supervisor let me sit in an out of the way spot once I was done, and goof off until the end of the shift. The pay wasn't much, but it was better than just about anything else with all the free time I had.

Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:35 am
Hamstermaster

Best: I'm still looking for that one.

Worst: Catalog Sales Associate with Eddie Bauer. Not only was I on the shift that last until 3am, I also had people who called up specifically to yell at me because of their order from the catalog was a day late. Now this is a job you need a lot of patience to handle the kind of vocal abuse that the some of the customers can dish out. Now the thing that makes this job the worst out of all the jobs I've had is, not only do I have to try and calm them down so they are not scream at the top of their lungs at me, but I also had to try and up-sell them on some usual piece of garbage that no one ever wanted. Which in turn got them yelling at me again.

Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:17 am
Chibi-Czar

Best: Teacher's Assistant at a bible college. An actual college, mind you, that grants degrees and has an associated seminary that grants Master's (at which I continue to study). 10 hours a week marking papers, which while not a super-thrill at least had some humor, and I got to help people improve themselves. But the real fun was lecture time; it got me so jazzed up I even woke up the Monday 9am "heater's stuck on" class, and got many positive reviews.

Runner-up; LAMP dev/database guru, my current job. When I'm not posting on forums (which actually I don't do much of from here), I'm writing PHP scripts to do interesting and clever things with images or financial data or production reporting or what have you. Or, sometimes I'm building databases of beauty and robustness. Some of my work of brute force and ignorance because it has to get done NAO NAO NAO, but some of it is elegant, and all of it is tricky and clever. And, on average, executes in 2-10% of the time of the old system, with thousands of dollars more accuracy, etc., etc. Very satisfying.

Worst: Oh man. I dunno. First I wanted to say "meat packing plant" because it smelled like death and I worked 10 hours 6 days a week and it was hard to do, but it was also fairly mindless work and I got in better shape because of it. I think I'll settle on "Tim Horton's nightbitch," where I did a little baking/food prep, which was fun, and some customer service, which was not fun, and dealt with a shrieking harridan coworker 8 hours a night, which was the polar opposite of fun. I was also working the job because I'd flunked out of school, I was depressed... man, it really sucked. So yeah, donut slingers can have fun, but I didn't. Plus they made me wear some violently ugly pants.

Runner-up: I worked with Duckman at a theatre. I needed to pay rent NAO and could get a job there in one day- and stuck there for like three, four months. It was ass.

Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:45 am