It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 pm

Grad School, anyone? 
Chibi-Czar

Post Grad School, anyone?
Damn I haven't posted here in a long time. I missed this place! AHH!

So, I'm (finally) graduating in May... but now I've got to head to grad school. I'm putting off the real world as long as possible.

I was just hoping some of you peoples out there might be able to give a girl some suggestions on choosing one.

I'm a writing/german double major... so somewhere with a liberal arts leaning would be nice. Any tips/tricks/demands you could throw my way would be great!

Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:34 am
Chibi-Czar

Hmm... Where are you planning study? something outta state or in state?

Cause I can recommend University of Texas in Austin... but I'm from TX... so I'm a bit biased...

Though they DO have a badass liberal arts program...

Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:34 pm
Chibi-Czar

I'm definitely going out of state because... well, Arkansas blows. I gotta get out of here.

I know some people at UTA, they really like it. It is on the list. Do they have a pretty good literature/writing program, do you know?

Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:35 pm
Chibi-Czar

Hmm... Where are you planning study? something outta state or in state?

Cause I can recommend University of Texas in Austin... but I'm from TX... so I'm a bit biased...

Though they DO have a badass liberal arts program...

Added bonus, I'm in Leander, thirty minutes from downtown Austin. (In good traffic.)

Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:43 pm
Chibi-Czar

Their Lit/English program is one of the best in the country, last I heard...

On that note, the competition to get accepted is harder... so if you have good grades and stuff, you shouldnt have a hard time getting in.

Best of luck.. ^-^

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:21 pm
Chibi-Czar

Definitely moving up the list. I do wish to get out of the South, but TX generally denies belonging to anything but itself... so I guess it counts.

Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:28 pm
Chibi-Czar

Location: Liverpool, England, HCCCP, Milky Way, Microsoft Universe XP ver 1.3.6
....You could come do a Masters degree in Europe....Our Universities love people from abroad, and they are some of the best in the world.

P.S. We like your money! University of Sheffield is where I study and it has a great Modern Languages and English department. University of Liverpool is also really good.

Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:41 pm
WAR SysOp

DM is correct, Europe has some damn nice schools, and I have a friend from Highschool who really enjoyed teaching over there as a teacher's aid as part of her education/practicum, so she highly recommended it.

Canada has a number of excellent technical and artistic schools, but really, it depends on what you want to focus on. The Universities in Alberta here, (U of A and U of C) are world-renown for its practical advancements in medicine and technology, but they sometimes lack in the more humanitarian aspects.

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:59 am
Chibi-Czar

I wish I was in a more technical field... but alas, I shall one day become a crazy old comparative lit professor (preferably on a beach somewhere). It was forseen by my 11th grade history teacher.

I've very much considered Europe, as I spent last semester at King's College London and had a WONDERFUL experience. If the funds hold up (or I turn out to be an amazazing grant writer), that is probably where I will end up.

Yay. You guys are so helpful. I knew asking you was a good plan.

Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:00 am