It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:08 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Wedding Tradition Origins 
Chibi-Czar

Are there any other traditions you guys plan to be doing? First dance, I suppose, but anything else?

Ooh, here's another question; were bridesmids typically maidens? I mean, that'd work for the first marriage in a group of friends, but for the third you'd be running out of maids. Obviously even THAT's a bit of a stretch these days with average loss-of-virginity being 14 or so. But does anyone know what the tradition was?

Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:12 pm
Doom Lobster

Breaking plates is Greek and Gypsy and I think they do it in some parts of Mexico too if I'm not way mistaken.

I don't think virginity was much of an issue in the old days. I'm pretty sure a bridesmaid was just the bride's friend. Correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

And Binky, nice! I love katanas. Okay, that's all the sword talk out of me on this thread. I'll save the rest for War and Peace. ^_^

Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:42 pm
Cheerful Groupie

"Maiden" used to refer to a young, unwed, and therefor assumedly virgin, woman.

Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:22 pm
Chibi-Czar

(no, there will be no ceramics-throwing at Senie's and my wedding.)

Will there be kegs of beer, beceause it is not a wedding around here without kegs of beer at the reception that is.

Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:24 pm
Moderator of Pain!

Sorry Donz, but alcohol is frickin EXPENSIVE! ::giggles:: So I think keggers are off the list.

Oh, and Tenryu? I remember seeing a movie where a bunch of italian soldiers landed on a remote Greek island around the time Mussolini lost power and one of them ended up marrying the local prostitute. And no, I-talian wasn't my language of choice in high school AND college... The glass-breaking sticks in my mind because the husband was supposed to break the glass and and he couldn't do it, so one of his buddies had to do it for him. I don't remember the name of the film as 'college senior' is a bit hazy in the old memory.

Now I have a question and I would like as many opinions as I can get (stay out of this one, Chris). Wedding invitations: how soon is too soon for an out of town wedding? Chris and I have been getting some feedback on when to send, what to send, and why. I'm interested in outside input, but we've already come to a conclusion on this one.

Consider this one signed: 'Just Curious', eh? NO BLOODSHED!!!

Lady Senie

Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:29 am
Moderator of Pain!

Out of town invitations should be at least 4 months in advance, especially if people have a long ways to travel. Earlier if you can.

Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:37 am
Moderator of Pain!

Post Some Traditions we're keepin. (help me out Chris)
Oh, and we've already picked the song for our first dance Tozetre. One thing I'd love to do is get all the in-law in a circle and do the chicken dance instead of the whole father-daughter/mother-son thing. ::giggles:: I think it's boring to watch other people dance, though since we're shelling out the duckets for this shin-dig, anyone that doesn't like US dancing can go home. :+P We'd have the traditional dance eventually, but the chicken dance thing was a joke from my brother's wedding. I told him that Chris and I were gonna do it at his wedding and he said he'd have security throw us out if we did. ::giggles:: This is my chance for REVENGE!!!! MUAHWHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAWWW!!

*ahem* okay, I'm better now.

Lady Senie

Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:33 am
Chibi-Czar

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:58 pm
Chibi-Czar

i think 3 months in advance would be enough... 5 if anyone needs to fly over from far far away

Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:57 pm
Doom Lobster

I think two and half to three months in advance. Coolness on the Chicken Dance! :)

Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:09 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5