It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:54 pm

Sci-fi tech, need info 
Chibi-Czar

Lookit guys, how'zabout we all just get back to the subject?

It's Science FICTION. Fiction means that while it should be plausible, it doesn't have to be 100% accurate. (though admittedly, the higher the accurcay/plausibleness, the greater the suspension of disbelief).

*goes off to study English Legal System*

Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:50 am
Chibi-Czar

Well, I just got off an extended convo with my father... included this subject.

Anywho.

There is no way around newton's third law. As long as the weapon is slinging rounds, you will have recoil.

So I suggest using something that will disperse the recoil energy and redirect it as other energies.

But first.. POWER. The weapon needs power, this is our first Fic Tech object. Some kind of energy cell shaped like a magazine. It can be crystal or something... but we don't exactly have million watt duracells.

As for power.... Recoil is effected directly by power. So, as a hand gun, if you want to give it the wallop of a fifty cal rifle... you're going to HURT yourself. So to disperse it, the upper slide of the rail should coil back like most hand guns. Then, the remaining force should be changed from kinetic to something else. Maybe a 'K force generator' that converts some of the recoil energy into power to recharge the energy cell and make the weapon last longer. Then as will undoubtably occure in human's imperfect technology, a his disperser. However heat is a waste product and an enemy. But again it is used to bleed off more energy. The final kick of the weapon could be worked out to have no more wallop than a moderate hand gun.

This maintains weapon power, gives it the sci-tech feel, and allows for suspension of beleif.

What say you Goose?

Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:34 pm
Moderator of Pain!

if your energy cell is shaped like a magazine, does that mag also hold the projectiles? or is there a second mag? or a mag and a fuel cell?
fuel cells are nice because they just snap into the weapon and you can forget about them except as daily flavortext of regharging until they become plot-relevant (run out at crucial moment)

http://spiketheslayer.livejournal.com/

Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:04 pm
Chibi-Czar

Sounds okay. But considereing that I dropped out of the HS Science stream to go into Commerce/Arts, I'll take your word for it.

And OT, if your Dad went to Nuclear Power School, he's a Navy submariner, right? How'd a submariner's kid end up in the army?

Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:46 pm
Chibi-Czar

My dad's been retired from the navy for just under twenty years. In other words it's been a while. However, the navy wasn't offering fifty thousand to cover college like the army was when I signed The Paper.

Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:59 am