It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 am

Oops. 
Chibi-Czar

Post Oops.
Damn it all, my creativity is starting to creep up on me again, and just as I'm getting back to "expert" level in programming. So I was reading some Python guides, and thinking I should really learn graphics and sound programming, and I started thinking a classic RPG would be a pretty cool way to do it, and then I started writing mob objects, and...

Anyway, seems I'll be writing the PSDF sprite-based RPG now. Got an artist and a musician on board, have some particular ideas about interaction and view, based on, of all things, the Google maps implementation and the use-of-space from Minish Cap... yeah. A little fiddling with database programming (my current job, mind you) and I may be able to write a fairly interesting sprite-based ORPG.

Since I've got the essential resources I need already, this isn't a call for volunteers or anything, but I thought some folks would be interested. And of course I expect a few people would be interested in playtesting and bugreporting, once it reaches 0.1 alpha.

Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:28 pm
Chibi-Czar

Kickass - and check these guys out, they're making money from making old school RPG's in the modern age; they might have some ideas you could use, or implement differently than they do http://spiderwebsoftware.com/

Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:40 pm
Chibi-Czar

Ugh, sucky 90's isometric 3/4 view? 2d sprites were perfected in FF6, and isometric 3/4 by RO; Spiderweb seems to have taken the ugliest possible stage of development and used it constantly. XP

I'm planning to use something more like this.

Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:05 pm
Chibi-Czar

Location: The Frozen North of the Upper Peninnsula of Michigan
I am SO in for beta testing once you finish! This sounds like a great idea, and who knows, you might even be able to publish it and make some extra cash.

Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:25 pm
Chibi-Czar

So, I've been pondering the multiplayerness and onlineness of it, and I'm puzzled. FF, for example, changed completely to become MMO; real-time combat, etc. I'm wondering how I could possibly keep the classic 16-bit look and feel when bowing to that particular necessity.

In fact, combat is the big issue. I know how to develop the game whether I go on or off, but combat is going to be night or day depending on how the program gets its data. What I'm thinking very strongly of doing is not making it MO, but rather a straight-through game. On the other hand there's a bunch of cool mission stuff I then couldn't do... *sigh*

Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:27 pm
Chibi-Czar

you could do an mo and use it like FF6. each player controls their character. Random battles would take place but rather tracking a dot and randomizing, it would track the area over the group of them, or just pull the nearest 4 people into the fight. people would control their guys own actions within the battle screen.

Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:05 am
Chibi-Czar

Hmmm. World/mission map, "hot spots," some evident, some not, and entering them puts you into the combat screen, which can run turn-based or real-time. That just might work... I could run turn-based combat (with a max-time timer)... yeah... yeah, that'll work.

Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:10 am
Chibi-Czar

I'm going to do this in parts.
First part is NOT doing an MO. Ugh. I'll make the basic game first, and once I know how it all works, I'll port to O, then MO.

version 0.1 goal: graphics, file i/o, and combat engine.
.01 is getting the sprite system to copy either FF6 or maybe Chrono Trigger movement.
.02 is getting mobs worked out.
.03 is getting the basic combat engine running
.04 is getting the combat graphics working.

at 0.04 I'll pause for breath and ask for input.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:21 pm
Chibi-Czar

Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:38 am
Chibi-Czar

http://www.squidi.net/portfolio/index.php

I suggest checking out some of that guys ideas - while maybe not perfectly relevant to what you have in mind, he's got some good stuff.

Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:11 am
Chibi-Czar

He does, though nothing directly applicable. For the first project, the straight sprite rpg, my goal is to simply write a sprite rpg. The next stage, the mo implementation, that I'll experiment vigorously with.

Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:04 am