It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 am

Success! A recipe of my own invention... 
Chibi-Czar

Post Success! A recipe of my own invention...
Bay Shore-Style Fried Tilapia

Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
Serves 4-6

1 ? cup all-purpose flour
? cup bread crumbs (or corn meal)
1 teaspoon kosher salt (any coarse salt will suffice; no table salt)
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Dash of Old Bay Seasoning
1 cup milk
1 whole egg
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 ? to 2 pounds tilapia fillets (or any other white fish)
Cooking oil of your choice

Preparation: Whisk to combine dry ingredients (flour, bread crumbs, seasonings). In a separate dish, wide and shallow, whisk to combine wet ingredients (milk, egg, lemon juice). Slowly add one cup of the dry mix to the wet mix, constantly whisking until the batter is smooth. Refridgerate for at least fifteen minutes, no more than one hour.

Cooking: Pour the cooking oil of your choice (I recommend peanut or vegetable oil), into a large skillet, just enough cover the bottom. Heat on medium flame until the surface starts to ripple. (At this point, a splatter screen of suitable size is recommended.) Pour the remaining one cup of dry mix into a shallow dish or pie pan. Dredge a fillet in the dry mix, then dip in the batter; be sure to coat thoroughly. Slide into the now hot oil; do not drop, as this may cause dangerous splattering. Cook for three minutes on each side, medium flame. (Depending upon the size of your pan and the fillets, you should be able to fry two-to-three fillets at once.) After the first batch is finished, set aside on a plater and cover with aluminum foil.

Serving Recommendations: Season with more lemon juice to taste. Best served with snow pea pods, fresh or cooked, and your favorite store-bought packaged side of wild rice. Also excellent on a bread/roll of your choice with lettuce, tomato, and tartar sauce.

Last edited by Son Goharotto on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:04 pm
Chibi-Czar

Ooo.... that sounds *very* nice. Would you consider adding unsalted butter at any point?

I gotta try this.

Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:52 pm
Chibi-Czar

[shrug] I suppose you could make all sorts of variations. This came about by looking up different recipes and seeing what I could put together based on what was in my cupboard at the time.

For example, replace the liquid ingredients with a good brown beer and deep fry with sliced potatoes to make fish'n'chips.

Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:15 am
Head Pollster

I agree with MS; that sounds damn tasty. One question, though; how popular is Old Bay seasoning? I can't say that I've come across it before.

INCLUDING THE ABOVE SENTENCE.

HAVE FUN! :D

Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:13 pm
Chibi-Czar

Old Bay seasoning? I can't say that I've come across it before.

Ground-up baby seal and coral, with some whales for texture. Pain is the greatest spice of all.

Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:12 pm
WAR SysOp

Actually...MURDER is the greatest spice of all. Or is that just taste? :P

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:04 pm
Chibi-Czar

I agree with MS; that sounds damn tasty. One question, though; how popular is Old Bay seasoning? I can't say that I've come across it before.

Honestly, I saw it in several recipes for Fish'n'Chips. I happened to have it on hand, so I figured "why not?" If you don't want to go out of your way to find it, you can try picking out a few of the more common ingredients.

I also like putting it in my tuna fish sammiches. :)

Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:58 am
WAR SysOp

And, thanks to the wonderful world of Internets, if you can't find Old Bay on the shelf, you can Make Your Own Old Bay Seasoning

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:17 pm
Chibi-Czar

Braised Sausages in Chunky Vegetable Sauce

Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Serves 4-6

1? pounds sweet Italian sausages
? pound egg noodles
8 cups water
15 ounce can tomato sauce
2-3 chopped plum tomatos (depending upon size)
2 cups sliced button mushrooms
1? cup diced green bell pepper
? cup diced red onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 tablespoons mild olive oil
? teaspoon kosher salt
? teaspoon dried oregano
? teaspoon dried basil
⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper
Dash of table salt and black pepper

Preparation: Slice mushrooms, chop tomatos, dice peppers and onion, and mince garlic.

Cooking: Grease a large saut? pan with a stick of butter, then warm over medium-high heat. Sear sausages about two minutes per side. In the same pan, melt one full tablespoon of butter. Saut? mushrooms, peppers, and onion until brown. Season with a dash of kosher salt and black pepper, optional. Add garlic and cook briefly, then return sausages to pan along with the chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, olive oil, and remaining seasonings. Set heat to low and stir to combine; allow this to simmer for the time it takes to prepare the egg noodles (roughly twenty minutes). Bring the water to a rapid boil in a three-quart-or-larger pot; dash of table salt optional. Add egg noodles and return to rapid boil. Stirring frequently, cook for ten minutes.

Serving Recommendations: Serve sausages and sauce over noodles with salad. For a spicier dish, use hot Italian sausages and double crushed red pepper to ? teaspoon.

Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:50 am
WAR SysOp

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:05 pm
Chibi-Czar

Oriental-ish Chicken Tenderloins

Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves 4-6

2 pounds chicken tenderloins
2 green bell peppers
8 ounces mushrooms
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1? cups toasted sesame seeds
Black pepper

Preparation: Slice the mushrooms and bell peppers into strips. In a shallow dish or pie pan, beat the eggs, sesame oil, and soy sauce. Pour the sesame seeds in another dish. (The 1? cups is a rough estimate; use as much as you need.)

Cooking: Heat 2 tablespoons of peanut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the peppers and saut? for 4 minutes, then add the mushrooms and continue saut?ing for another 4 minutes. Season with black pepper. Cover and set aside. Then coat the bottom of the skillet in more peanut oil and lower heat to medium. Dip the chicken in the egg mix, then dredge in sesame seeds. Cook for 3-3? minutes per side, turning once. (Chicken tenderloins are basically just breasts sliced in half length-wise. You can use whole breasts, but you'll need to adjust the cooking time, about 5 minutes a side.)

Serving Recommendations: Top chicken with the peppers and mushrooms, add more soy sauce to taste. Best served with noodles (plain instant ramen works well enough).

Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:45 am