It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:25 pm

Is writing a pain? 
Cherub

Post Is writing a pain?
Painters find they have the talent to convey messages with pictures. It is a way of expressing inner thoughts, and they enjoy the process. It's the same with musicians, actors, film makers etc. They all have found a way to express themselves through the arts...and they enjoy the process.
But what about writers. I know for a fact that I dont have the skills to act, create good music, or draw...so I write. Perhaps writers are just those of us who are left over- the ones who couldn't convey ideas any other way. Writers certainly seem to enjoy the process much less. One famous author tied himself to his chair in order to write a book. Another locked himself in a shack with a typewriter and a bottle of scotch. He always came back out with a novel...and an empty bottle.
The process of creating a story in your mind is the most pleasing. Images of an epic tale flood one's dreams during the day and night. But forcing yourself to write it down so that it can be shown to others...thats really a pain.

At least thats how I think of it...thoughts?

(Yeah...i'm procrastinating instead of studying for finals...excuse my philosophical ramblings)

Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:41 pm
Moderator of Pain!

Post I'm Sorry, But I disagree...
I don't believe that writing is simply a 'leftover art' for 'people that can't do anything else'. It seems very... strange to make such an association between artists, especially as you claim to be a writer yourself. And yes, I believe that writers are artists - the same as painters, sculptors, musicians, or anyone else with a creative nature. The true difference is in the tools we use. Rather than a musical instrument or wacom tablet, authors use words to paint the pictures we wish to convey to others. We are the dreamers that use language to show others our innermost thoughts.

As to your statement that writers have no other talents, that is simply untrue. I have been told many times that I could easily pursue a professional career as a singer if I so chose. But I prefer to write. I have no doubt that there are many others - on and off this board - that have similar tales to tell. I would venture to say that for the majority of us, it is not a lack of creative options that drives the need to use this mode of expression.

Admittedly writing can be frustrating at times, writer's block and the like being frequent dangers. But no more than similar maladies in other such professions. I've heard of plenty of artists thet go through periods of difficulties in their art. It's a fact of life shared, not only by artists, but anyone that cares so much about their work.

Understanding that writers tend to have a bit of a bad rep, it would be a tragedy to let a few bad examples ruin your perception of writing in general. There's more to being a writer than what anyone outside of the process will ever know. ^_^

Lady Senie

Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:00 pm
Doom Lobster

Well...let's see...as both a writer and someone interested in psychology, I've picked the brain of many a contemporary about inspiration and the like.

Writing isn't "a pain" though with many writers I know, it is tied intimately with pain. Moreover, the art of the word works very differently from the arts of music, stage, or canvass/sketchpad/whatever. It's more personal...I don't know why.

For me, writing works kind of like I'm a projector. I don't plan my stories out, I don't know what's going on with them until they finish, but when they do...I'm always satisfied with the results. I've got talents elsewhere, I'm a competent actor, and a vocalist, but writing is always going to be my favorite mode of expression.

Writing is a way of expressing your feelings, it's not the same because it's over such a long period, not because it's the dregs. The thing is, with most people I know, only pain and love really lasts that long.

'least that's my oppinion...mind you, I've spent more than a quarter of my life "spontaneously" creating a novel, so I think I know a bit.

--Cam

Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:59 pm
Chibi-Czar

It takes me awhile to get going on an idea. Then the real world intrudes and I get sidetracked. Ether by work I should be doing, or inspiration for another story.

Because of this it often feels to me like I have to drag the words, kicking and screaming, out of my head. But then I hit a point and it just flows and before you know it its 4-5am and I have to go to bed 'cause I have uni the next day and I'll fall asleep at the wheel.

Writers aren?t the dregs who couldn't do anything else. What ever the art form the whole point is the same. You are trying to convey something to another, whether it be a feeling, an idea, of a whole story. Go listen to a symphony some time.

Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:20 pm
Cheerful Groupie

All art is painful. Trying to make a good product takes months of work, even for paintings. The image in the mind is nearly impossible to translate to any medium properly, so we do the best we can.

It's not the image, really, so much as the emotion of the image that we want to communicate. However, regardless of whether the medium is acting, painting, writing, whatever, we cannot communicate emotion, and that is the hardest part. All we can communicate is images, scenes, or words that hold emotional meaning to ourself and hope the person percieving our work holds the same or similar meanings.

Many actors can't write nor can many painters. We don't do what we can't do - only what we can. If writing is what we can do, that is what we do.

Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:59 pm
Chibi-Czar

For me, I've found that writing tends to be affected by my state of mind....

I dunno about anyone out there, but when I've written fanfics, I;ve done so to escape from something in life, to get away fom it all........ entering my created worlds allows me to retreat from life, ignore all the shit that happens, and try and find solace. Then once it's done, I venture out into the world, metally refreshed, ready to set forth valiantly....

Gomen, carried away. >_< Exam stress. Anyway, writing is an exercise for me, something I do to unwind, and also, hopefully, as a medium of self expression...

Meh, I gotta get back to studying. But think about it Rosenberg - everything in life involse some pain or effrot. Even breathing requires an effort.

Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:53 am
Chibi-Czar

Location: The Frozen North of the Upper Peninnsula of Michigan
Writing certainly isn't a pain for me, I genuinely enjoy writing. It give me time to relax and let my brain get its excercise for the day.

My biggest problem is that there are far more ideas than I have time and skill to write about. At last count, I had 20 or more 'story ideas' sitting on my hard drive, gathering dust, and all those have been generated within the last year. All have the potential to become good stories, but I can only write so much, and there simply isn't time.

I do have the ultimate solution to writer's block at my fingertips though: lots of projects. When I can't think of anything for one book, I move on to another, and just keep going. Only once have I ever sat down to write, and not been able to find anything for any of my books. Of course, I still haven't finished an entire series of anything yet, just a couple short one-shots and a few very brief stories from way back, when I had to do all my writing by hand and a month of work was half a typed page. None of those will ever see the light of day again, let me tell you!

Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:40 pm