It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:15 am

Question about Evangelion Episode 1. 
Head Pollster

Post Question about Evangelion Episode 1.
As you know, I'm writing a fic that goes over some of the action in Ep. 1, and something struck me as incongruous. When Misato is told that Shinji has to pilot Unit 01, she's shocked. But she already knows certain things; she knows that Shinji is the Third Children (sic) - she identifies him as such when she meets Ritsuko in the base; she also knows that Rei's unfit to pilot, that Asuka's not around, and that Shinji has no experience in piloting. My question is this; why's she shocked? Did she think that Ritsuko would pull something off at the last minute? Did she just not put the pieces together?

- Between_the_Lines

INCLUDING THE ABOVE SENTENCE.

HAVE FUN! :D

Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:06 pm
Doom Lobster

Well, there are two good reasons as to why she hadn't thought that.

A) Shinji had been scheduled to come in already, so it wasn't like he was being pulled in because they needed a pilot.
B) It took MONTHS for the other Children to synchronize with their Evas. Therefore, it was implausible that Shinji would be able to synchronize with an Eva in mere minutes.

With these, she managed to establish a flimsy barrier of half-assed logic to figure that Shinji wouldn't be used as a pilot.

--Cam

Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:07 pm
Chibi-Czar

I'm inclined to agree with B, Cam. Rei hasn't been doing very well with either Unit 00 or Unit 01, and Asuka is still training with Unit 02 at this point (as far as we know). Third Children or not, it is a bit shocking to think Shinji would be sent to the frontline literally minutes after finding out about the existence of Eva.

Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:29 pm
Chibi-Czar

Also in that mix there may very well be some residual shock over just how coldly Gendo treats his son, whom he hasn't seen in, what, 8 years?

That he's sending him out to die with little more than a sniff may have set Misato back a bit, even knowing how cold Gendo usually is.

Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:47 pm
WAR SysOp

Keep in mind that Gendo is an expert at using people. A brief, but relivent example was that, once he was 'done' with Ritsuko's mother...chibi-Rei 'accidentally' got lost and started mentioning she was a hag, etc, leading to her murder and suicide.

He reads people like open books.

Asuka's mother was in Unit 02, and the reports of her performance were (until the series) legendary. It IS a stretch to assume all would go perfect (and it didn't really) but not out of Gendo's nearly suicidal brillance in using people to the situation to say:

Shinji's mother is in Unit-01. When Shinji gets here, Yui will make it work.

I have VERY little doubt he wasn't planning the whole mother-son combo since he realized he couldn't get Yui back out the regular way.

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:01 am
Head Pollster

Guys, this is great. Thanks for the help! I guess a mix of flimsy logic and shock at Gendou's decision goes quite some way to explain why she didn't put the pieces together. Plus, she's Operations Director; she's got to worry about other defensive systems than the Evas, even if they are the most important. Though you'd think, as she's driving Shinji, through the middle of an attack, it might occur to her - but then, her car does get trashed... :lol:

Chris, thanks for the insight into Gendou's mind, even if it doesn't really answer the original question. I mean, we know he's a devious bastard - I guess Misato's just a scatterbrain. ^_^

Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:03 pm
WAR SysOp

Misato came into the project after Gendo and Ritsuko/Mom. Considering she was shocked to find out that the Eva was all organic and the armour actually was keeping it in check, you can assume (pretty logically, too) that she wouldn't know about Yui being absorbed. I can see why she's surprised, but also, her single-minded determination to kill the angels lead to phrases like: "Get in." when she realized it was their only chance.

She's seen enough that she accepts the crazy. She hasn't seen as much as some, though, so things still surprise her. ^_^

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:19 pm
Head Pollster

Ah. Well, there is that. Anyway, my question definitely seems to have been answered - thanks!

Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:11 pm