It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:59 pm

Sword-Challenge registration office 
Chibi-Czar

Post Sword-Challenge registration office
Welcome to the registration office. This is where you can register for a sword challenge of your own. I've been getting some positive feedback from people who enjoyed SCTTA, so I decided to set this up. It's not much, but here are the rules.

Create your own sword challenge; a titanic battle between two (and sometimes more than two) of your own original characters.

Sword Challenge is a form of story tag; one person will write part of a story, and then at the end of the post, their partner picks up from where they left off. The online forum format is a great medium to use in story tag since it's so organised; you have no problem when it comes to following plot, and you are notified when somone else has replied to your message

Why would you want to write a sword challenge? Writing a story together is a great way to learn about people and how they see life. My own sword challenges helped me makes lots of friends. Also, if your a creative person and you like those big budget action flicks, then this is a great way to put your character to the test. All things can be put on an equal plane online, it doesn't matter if one of your mods is a god or a detective; these characters are your heroes, and there's always a way they can level the playing field.

Tips for making the story more entertaining: Collaborate with your fellow writer. Try to work out key events in the plot together and share things about your character. Don't constantly try to outdo each other; in fact, I would suggest that you intentionally put your character in a critical position at some point in the story. That way, it's not you who has to save your character, and you also put trust into your fellow writer's hands to save him or her. In that case, the other writer must create a scenario where his own character is overpowered (or end the match right there, if he wants; but it would be far more entertaining to see these two fighters on an even plane).

But what if other people butt in? Don't feel offended by extra people getting in on the story. Since most of the time, your basically making things up on the spot, I find new people can increase the entertainment value of the story. Collaborating with other writers can double or even triple the length of the story and make it even better. Everyone here has the potential to be a great writer, so try to be flexible with the script an make allowances for new events.

Start by sending a PM or e-mail to whom you want to challenge. If they accept the challenge, post notification of the new match here and where it can be found / read, so that we can all check it out.

Post a new thread featuring the names of your contenders (or yourselves if you want). "Sword Challenge: John Vs. Mike" for instance.

Go nuts.

Hell, why be shy about it? Challenge Fiss, challenge Michael, challenge ATC, challenge me; challenge anybody! It's fun, believe it!

Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:00 am
Chibi-Czar

How about bvein' a medic? Cuz while I have no real interest in challenging people (for now)....

Someone needs to patch up the wounded. ^_^ And I have some First Aid training.

Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:33 pm
Chibi-Czar

Why in the heck not? If you have the courage to share your writing, there's no downside I can see to it. I remember when Michael introduced himself as the ref; he was able to develop a whole sub-plot that actually defines some sort of subtle message.

Other writers can bring something so farfetched like Sword challenge back down to earth, like a comical japanese maid somehow bypassing securuty and stopping in the middle of an arena to clean the floor in the midst of huge explosions. The match stops immediately, people take a breather, and the overall feeling of a somewhat civilised environment resurfaces.

Not like in "Sword Challenge R" where the enviroment gradually became more unstable and less consequential of the contenders. It's easy to forget about the people on the sidelines in that case, and it makes other writers feel like they have no place at all in the story, so they don't bother.

I encourage as many people as possible to get involved in sword challenges. The first had 7 writers and it turned out great.

Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:44 am
Chibi-Czar

Why in the heck not? If you have the courage to share your writing, there's no downside I can see to it. I remember when Michael introduced himself as the ref; he was able to develop a whole sub-plot that actually defines some sort of subtle message.

Why, thank you! <cutesy smile, with ironic bow> You picked up on that.

I was looking at the idea of Everyman as super-hero - with only a very little more control over it than a marionette has over the strings, and that control requiring that he forswear everything he holds dear in order to cut the strings. [Q.v.:the scene where the claymore shatters and Michael O'Bannon is watching himself deflect the shrapnel.] It gripes my ass that I don't have the creative talent to develop that concept without help...

Quote:
Other writers can bring something so farfetched like Sword challenge back down to earth, like a comical japanese maid somehow bypassing securuty and stopping in the middle of an arena to clean the floor in the midst of huge explosions. The match stops immediately, people take a breather, and the overall feeling of a somewhat civilised environment resurfaces.

ATC has an unrealized talent for absurdity - I wish he'd develop it more. (No offense, buddy!)

Quote:
Not like in "Sword Challenge R" where the enviroment gradually became more unstable and less consequential of the contenders. It's easy to forget about the people on the sidelines in that case, and it makes other writers feel like they have no place at all in the story, so they don't bother.

And don't get me started on Vessicator's effort. (Sorry, bud, but, being brutally honest about it, that was TEH SUXX0RZ! - andnot justbecause you started by killing out The Ref character. I could've come up with a response, but the thing had degenerated into Conanism, and, frankly, I couldn't be bothered...)

Quote:
I encourage as many people as possible to get involved in sword challenges. The first had 7 writers and it turned out great.

I have to get inspired first. I generally do better with somebody who's truly creative giving me a concept I can run with. (Not always, but usually.) And, FWIW, I like the idea of the poor bastard who has to pick up the pieces after the heroes collide. Goose, I'm going to put this as non-judgemendtally, and as pressure-free as I can: TAKE THE MEDIC CONCEPT AND RUN WITH IT, BOY!!!

P. S.: Vic, weren't you going to edit the boardfic and post it? What's the status on that?

"Tough times don't last. Tough people do."

"You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it."

Token Reactionary S.O.B.

Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:41 am
Chibi-Czar

Collage stuck a fork in it. I'll need to pry my mouse cursor away from Dreamweaver before I finish that project.

Not to mention...

Dun duh DAAAAAA!!!!

Announcing a new sword challenge coming soon. This time, Audrin has bravely taken up the challenge to defeat the worthiest of foes, the ultimate human, Adam. In this new episode, Vicil plans to introduce cameos from the epic in development, "Omega."

Feel obliged to jump in when the fire starts flying. It can be found in Creative Works once we hammer out the minor details.

Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:54 am
Chibi-Czar

"Tough times don't last. Tough people do."

"You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it."

Token Reactionary S.O.B.

Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:37 am
Chibi-Czar

Need a Ref? <sh*t-eating grin>

Need a medic-cum-driver? ^_^

I mean, somebodies gotta drive the ambulance, afterall.... and patch up the wounded.

Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:53 pm
Chibi-Czar

Absolutely, dudes. I'm hoping to get started to tonight. One of my deadlines was pushed back so I have a little free time.

Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:42 pm
Moderator of Pain!

Post Can I help?
Can I help? Edit/Delete this post Reply with quote Delete this post View IP address of poster

::blushes:: Mind if I help out on the medicine front, Goose? I'm in nursing school right now and I've got about a year and a half of CNA/PCA (not sure what they call nursing assistants where you are: they do the dirty work the nurse doesn't have time for)

I don't have any superhero mods to pull out unfortunately. The last time I tried to make one, she was a HORRIBLE Suzy-Q who ended up not liking me much 'cause she intimidated all the guys. ::shrugs:: Sorry, most of my current stuff involves girls who start out all normal and get some powers after being the underdog for awhile.

If you don't mind my blundering style, I'd love to be a part of the MADNESS!!!!!!

Lady Senie

Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:16 pm
Chibi-Czar

Post Re: Can I help?
Lady Senie wrote:
::blushes:: Mind if I help out on the medicine front, Goose? I'm in nursing school right now and I've got about a year and a half of CNA/PCA (not sure what they call nursing assistants where you are: they do the dirty work the nurse doesn't have time for)

Sure, no prob! ^_^ Anyways, my practical knowledge is limited to what I learned as a member of the Malaysian Red Crescent's Youth Wing; basic First aid.... I didn't have much of a chance to learn any of the advanced stuff, so I'm pretty much an orderly.

I have a bit of theory, but nothin' fancy.. sure,no prob! I mean, I can be the guy who does the running around and stabilises patients, you do the heavy stuff back in the med tent, while I go to the front lines.

Besides, the Red Cross/Red Crescent/ medic is supposed to be on the front lines - not doctors/nurses. That's why I'd be wearing my white uniform, with a big red crescent on my left sleeve.

Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:18 pm
Doom Lobster

Location: That's Classified and You don't have the clearance.
I think I'll be the one that sits there and watches, eating popcorn, and occasionally heckling the fighters at random. Some good ones I like one to be adapted from baseball,
"You hit like my dear departed Grandma!"
Or I'll be the 4' nothing asian peanut guy with a baritone voice that sounds like it should be coming from a 10' 6" pro wrestler from Texas.

Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:19 pm