It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:23 am

Take a risk, make a friend. 
Chibi-Czar

Post Take a risk, make a friend.
I'd like to know what people think of this. It started as a one shot, but I left it nice and open. I still haven't got'en around to writing the next part.

Take a risk, make a friend.

Shinji stared at Rei. Not too openly but almost to the exclusion to all else. The class room was filled with the chatter of the students and the constant drown of the teacher. Glazing down at his computer, he noted that her eye's had glassed over at the exact moment that they did every day, seventeen past two. He always wondered what she thought about when she zoned out like that.

Rei was trying to workout why she was here. Not her reason for existence, she had worked that one out last week, but why she was in school. She already knew everything that was 'taught' here, so why did she have to waste so much time with it. There was a whole world to explore and here she was with no time to see it. There had to be a reason why HE wanted her here... but it was so boring... Her mind wound into tighter and tighter circles, excluding the outside world.

He didn't believe the popular theory the she was a robot, void of humanity. He just thought that she ether didn't know how, or chose not, to display her emotions to the rest of the world. There was more to Rei Ayanami that others saw in her.

He believed this for three reasons; one, the fact she apparently has a meaningful relationship with his father; two, her eye's hold a spark of real intelligence and humanity, not just empty void; and three, he had seen otherwise. He knew that she was there, just under the surface, he just had no idea how to get to the real her.

His mind drew another blank, just like it always did when trying to answer that question. Slowly he revisited everything he knew about her, which was depressingly little. Idea after idea was discarded and he finally started to view her as unsolvable after a particular plan involving three basketballs, half a ton of wiped cream and a lasso. He was saved by the bell. The room cleared in under a minute.

Shinji reached the door just after the teacher, glancing back he saw that Rei hadn't moved. She was a million miles away and hadn't moved a muscle. Shinji glanced around the room, noting that it was as empty as it should be. 'Well Shinji,' Shinji thought to himself, 'you asked for a way, no time like the present to find it.' The rest of him protested strongly, making some fine arguments but by the time it knew what was happening, Shinji had gently shut the door and walked over to her. She was still dead to the world.

Rei was completely lost within herself. Why is the sky blue? I know it's because of refracting gasses, but why blue. Why not purple, like Ikari's Eva? That would be much nicer. Why is Ikari so interested in me? Why do I ask myself all these questions I can't answer? Why... (You get the picture.)

'Weeellll? What now Mr. know it all.' the rest of him mind sooooo helpfully asked his dwindling supply of courage.
His courage failed to answer, owing to a lack of available energy. Burning up all that was left of his pitiful reserve he sat backward on the chair in front of her, looking her right in the face. There he froze. When nothing happened his heart began to beat again. While his mind was occupied, his subconscious slowly moved him to mirror Rei. Left arm(Rei's right) lying on the desk, hand curled behind the other arms elbow. Head perched atop the right arm(Rei's left). Eye's ahead, staring at the middle distance. Abstractly Shinji noted that she really was beautiful, perfect almost albino skin, smooth and unmarred. Small supple lips, a little button of a nose hung between two huge pools of red. Eyes you could get lost in....

Shinji's mind chose that moment to go off line.

There they stayed little more that a handspun apart, each one completely lost within themselves. An Hour passed then two, the sun slowly moved toward the horizon. A small flock of birds flew though the school grounds. A certain redhead walked down the hall, looking for her incredibly late house mate.

They both surfaced at the same time. Slowly their eyes came back into focus. Neither quite back to reality. Rei's mind was still off, so instinct got control for once. Abstract Shinji was holding the rest of his mind at bay while his subconscious started hitting buttons. Slowly the two leaned in, their lips brushing, hesitant for a moment, before they met, gently, tenderly, and longingly.

Auska stood in horror at the scene unfolding before her. Shinji and Rei where silhouetted on the late afternoon sun. The beauty of the moment touched something buried deep within. Her eye's widened slightly before a single tear trailed down her cheek. She spun on her heel and proceeded to plant her fist into a near by locker, before running down the hall.

The sound of rending metal snapped them back to reality. Both their eyes widened slightly as their respective brains caught up with resent events. Slowly they broke contact, a single line of spittle holding the moment. Disbelief held them both. The moment stretched. Shinji's mind bound and gagged Abstract Shinji and jumped back into control. The spittle broke. Shinji was in motion before he could stop himself. His screwed up instincts told him to panic, so he responded by running away. Abstract Shinji, loyal to the last, executed an amazing feat of acrobatics to knock the face controller out. Pushing buttons frantically with his nose he realigned the face, then hit the emergency stop.

The spittle broke. Shinji was moving before she could react. In her shock stunned mind, instinct got one last command in before her shields came crashing down. Emotion, lain dormant since her creation, sealed by a man obsessed by perfection, was awakened. Emotions flooded her mind. Shinji running away made her... cold, no...sad, she realized. Really sad. She followed his run across the room. Him flinging the door open. Then he paused, turned and slimed at her, a genuine slime, the type she dreamed about and he waved a small wave before sprinting down the corridor.

Rei felt herself melt inside, she tried to put a name to what she felt and failed. She was all warm inside, but she couldn't work out why. The she realized what she was doing, she was smiling, she was happy. For the second time in her life, she really was happy.

Shinji sprinted as fast as he could, loosing himself in the act of running. He planted a foot on the wall at the end of the hall, running along the wall for three steeps and loosing none of his speed. He hit the school doors and burst out into the light of a Tokyo 3 sunset. His mind pushed everything away, instead concentrating on putting one foot in front of the other and the simple act of breathing. For the first time in years his heart soared.

Rei sat still at her seat, a gentle smile playing on her lips. Finally she sighed heavily and the wheels of her mind began to turn once more. He liked her. She liked him. She started at the thought, realizing the she DID in fact like him. She picked up her bag and saw that Shinji had left his behind. No mater, she would give it to him tomorrow. She picked the bag up and left, walking slowly as she reviewed the resent events. The one question that kept coming back was why he had run? She felt something about that reaction. Not the sadness that she had felt before, but something all together most unidentifiable. This would require thought. The blue haired girl left school with a small frown creasing her smooth skin and headed for Nerv. She had a dummy session.

Auska ripped open the freezer with enough force to dint the wall. She rummaged around inside before pulling out an ice pack and slamming the door. Auska's face was stained with tear streaks that she convinced herself come from the pain of her hand. It had swelled rapidly after she had buried it in the locker and she had a sneaking suspicion that at least one of the bones was cracked. Instead of ringing Misato to have it checked out, she sat at the table holding the icepack on her purple and blue right hand.

Inside her head rage, pain and black sadness swirled uncontrollably. Memories, dredged from deep within her, came rushing up to join the mix. Her mother kissing her father. Her father kissing 'that woman'. The day her father walked away. The day of the funeral. She scrubbed at the tears as she remembered the pledge she had made on that day.

Slowly she brought herself back under control. Her wall slowly rebuilding itself around her fragile, battered heart. She took one more step down the road of depression and one more step away from the world she lived in.

Julzz.

dark_eva_5@hotmail.com

End file

If enogh people respond, with good or bad comments, I'll get off my ass and put the rest of my stuff up on a page.

Last edited by Julzz on Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:21 am
Moderator of Pain!

I like it, Julzz. There's just enough intermal to keep it interesting without it becoming uncomfortable. But why DID Shinji run?

Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:33 am
Chibi-Czar

Hmm, not bad. It's interesting how almost the entire story is internalized. Breaking down complicated emotioins and observations with short, succinct sentences works rather well.

And I like how Shinji turned into a ninja for a minute there. Ryu Hayabusa would be proud.

But what exactly is a "manful relationship"? :lol:

Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:25 am
where does it say that? I tryed to pick up all the mistakes. I can't spell, so if word dosn't pick it up, it will usally stay there untill someone points it out.

Shinji is one skrewd up kid, understadibly. His conditioned responce to most situations is to either, 1. run or, 2. hide. At the moment anyway. :? That may change.

Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:38 pm
Chibi-Czar

where does it say that? I tryed to pick up all the mistakes. I can't spell, so if word dosn't pick it up, it will usally stay there untill someone points it out.

Fourth paragraph, first sentence. I can only assume you meant "meaningful."

Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:42 pm
Doom Lobster

Is this a one shot or a multi part story? I would like to see the rest if possible (even if it's a Shinji/Rei story).

Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:04 pm
Chibi-Czar

At the moment it's a stand alone, if only because I havn't writen any more.

And who said it was a Rei/Shinji fic. It may change, ya' never quite know.

Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:30 pm
WAR SysOp

VERY nice work, Julzz! You got an excellent little fic-lett here. First of all, I think that if you do need to create more out of it, leave it in it's oneshot-state, as it seems to fill that style out perfectly. The style is interesting and open enough that you could create sequels easy, but I think it's perfect without needing a "To be continued" or anything that obviously relates it to more.

Love the style, love your style of writing. I will read more... OR ELSE! WHAHAHAAAAA! ^_^

Yes, and I love Shinji's reaction. Probably the closest in-character reaction to a WAFF situation. ^_^

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:45 pm
Cherub

Grea work, I really like your style. The idea of both shinji and rei losing themselves together is very unique. Give me your brain please.

Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:52 pm
Chibi-Czar

I would, but I kinda like it were it is. That and I cant really write anything without it. That could be a problem in uni...

then again. :)

Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:45 am