It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:41 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 The Demon's Ring - RPG In-Character Posts 
Author Message
WAR SysOp
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:56 pm
Posts: 3479
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Post The Demon's Ring - RPG In-Character Posts
The Demon's Ring
Part 1: Misguided Star

GM's Notes:
Island Info: "Vill" - The large, Farming Island
Major Cities:
-The Royal Circle, large city of 20K people
-Threeroads, major farm/produce trading city. 10K
-Eastdock, most of the smiting/industry in this town. 15k
-Westdock, mostly intellectual and magic, fineries. 10k

This is information your characters would have grown up with. As needed, I will supply info about the other islands, but for those who have not ventured off of Vill, they are fairly vauge places. Jateus, the Harbour City, is about a quarter-day travel by Sea, and is the closest island.


Introduction
Waking up in the Orphanage, you are all greated by a sunny day outside the windows. Everyone immediately notices the increased tension in the air, caused by the Yearly Sacrifice coming up soon, as well as the added uneasiness of the mist clearing.

While you cannot see the Demon's Ring clearly from your bedroom windows, yesterday, you could nearly make out the black, jagged shape of the mountain itself, hovering in the remaining mists.

As you all come to the breakfast table, you are greated by nearly two dozen other orphans who are younger than yourselves by years. Also, your 'nurse' Madam Karch, who looks after the children is there. She seems to have something on her mind as she serves you all breakfast, but makes no attempts to share it with you.

After breakfast, the four of you are hardly surprised when she asks you to stay as the rest of the children go to play.

"M'Dears, I've got to have a word with you." she whispers, taping you each on the shoulder in turn. The younger children giggle, as this usually means you are to help out with the dishes after the meal.

With the other children now running to play outside, it is just the five of you.

"First of all, m'Dears, I have to ask you a very important question." she says, looking flustered "Where any of you...outside the walls of the orphanage last night?"

While she glances at Uther a bit longer than the rest, she seems equally concerned with all of you. (Of course, each of you had managed to get in before curfew, and had slept all night.)

_________________

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp


Last edited by Christopher Fiss on Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:18 pm
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:14 pm
Posts: 2769
Location: Location, Location!
Post 
"No, ma'am. I slept the night away, dreaming of song," says Stabby, a bit whimsically.

_________________
Image


"Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step to true panic."
--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski


Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:23 pm
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:21 pm
Posts: 205
Location: Canberra, AU
Post 
"No m'lady, I, and my masters, can assure you that I have been in all night to tired to even relaxbefore bed." Is Larkspurs responce, in his typical forthright, bussiness tone.

_________________
And God said "Let there be light!" and the tech crew asked, "On what cues?"

Information and knowledge: two currencies that have never gone out of style
-- Neil Gaiman, American Gods


Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:28 pm
Profile
WAR SysOp
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:56 pm
Posts: 3479
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Post 
Even before the rest of you respond, she seems much more relaxed now. She waits with epecting eyes towards the sneaky Dwarf.

"And I do mean All-Night, Uther..." she prods. "It's important you answer me truthfully."

_________________

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp


Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:43 pm
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:50 pm
Posts: 3467
Post 
Uther looks momentarily disgruntled at the special attention, but manages to grate out a negative.

"Jings, mistress, ye're daft if ye think a roight straight lad loike me would be awa on the ran-dan last noit, especially as I'm sa chipper this marnin, eh?"

He glances at the others, and seeing their evident agreement with his assesment (as much as they could translate of it), he continues.

"Why? Has someone been a gone corbie, then? Or was there a knock? Nae, not wi' this crew- wha's th' matter, then, mistress?"

_________________
Why carry a gun? Because a whole cop would be too heavy.


Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:50 pm
Profile
Cheerful Groupie

Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:03 am
Posts: 1499
Location: not here
Post 
Kanus shrugs, stating, "I was not out later than the curfew. I see no purpose in breaking it."

_________________
Don't forget.


Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:52 pm
Profile
WAR SysOp
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:56 pm
Posts: 3479
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Post 
This seems to calm her further, and she takes a deep breath to re-compose her smile into a stern look of authority.

"We have a serious issue, m'Dears. Seems that, last night, there was a bit of a rukkas on the isle. The King is asking for you four to come up to the palace so he can straighten this all out. One of the guards is swearing hell and high-water that he saw signals coming from the outer wall here around the back gate."


OOC: The orphanage is surrounded by a high, but generally unguarded wall for safety. There are 5 gates and all but the main gate are locked during curfew, with the main gate manned by a pair of watchmen. It is old and crumbling, allowing a great many places to hide and to climb, and several stones are missing where one can peer out into the fields beyond. The back gate is known for it's secluded location near many bushes/trees. Anyone who is fond of sneaking out knows how to there.


Karch continues. "He's asked I bring you up to the palace for lunch so we can talk to the guard. I just need to finish up with the youngins, and we can start out straight away."

A loud crash signals something has happened, and she rushes off to see what kind of a mess the smaller kids are making outside.

"Oy...it never ends..." she pauses, turning to you four. "I'll be back in a bit. If you need to get anything from your rooms, hurry back."

A large metal pan goes flying past her head. She growls and starts yelling at the young gnome who threw it via his new makeshift catapult.


While weapons are not allowed in the palace, you are all welcome to 'equip up' and get ready, as they will check them at the gates. Anything else you want to do, expore, or check out, you can - but time is limited.

_________________

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp


Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:09 am
Profile
Cheerful Groupie

Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:03 am
Posts: 1499
Location: not here
Post 
Given the possibility of a chance to "perfect" his craftings, Kanus rushes back to grab his backpack and grabbing his armor and weapons. He returns with a small axe in his belt, a rapier about his waste, and a bow on his back. Not having wanted to take chances, the boy merely brought his buckler and chain shirt back, and takes a minute or two to put them on properly there.

_________________
Don't forget.


Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:20 am
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:14 pm
Posts: 2769
Location: Location, Location!
Post 
Stabby returns to his room and packs his gear. He dons his travelling clothes for the trip. He hides his knife away where he thinks it won't be found . [Sleight-of-Hand: 5+2 for dagger+2 for cloak=9, Roll: 18]

He carries his equipment out to the small stable out back and loads it onto his cart. Greeting his horses, Stabby strokes them kindly before hitching them to the cart. He sighed, yearning for the day he could journey about to the other islands. A bard was not meant to be stuck in one place.

_________________
Image


"Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step to true panic."
--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski


Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:23 am
Profile
WAR SysOp
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:56 pm
Posts: 3479
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Post 
Stabby, please roll SPOT CHECK

_________________

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp


Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:26 am
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:50 pm
Posts: 3467
Post 
Frowning, Uther returns to his room. After ten minutes, he comes back out, dressed in astonishing finery and positively dripping with gems and gold. His usual tough appearance, clad in leathers and hefting a variety of useful street-fighting weapons, often obscures an ability to mix with lords and ladies.

His frame is less dense than most dwarves, though still stocky. The three things that most distinguish him from others are the shortness of his beard (kept trimmed in human rather than dwarven style), a thick white scar running down his right cheek (the source of which he has never seen fit to divulge), and the shock of white discolouration in the hair above his left temple. This last you know because of the recent accident he had- a terrible fall which kept him bedridden for days.

Since then he's been pensive, staying much closer to home and often staring into space. The opportunity has presented itself to re-aquaint himself with his "brothers," though he doesn't seem to know where to begin.

He leaves the others to investigate the wall and gate, knowing the area like the back of his hand, for obvious reasons; his constant "ventures" over the last five years, while it drew him away from his adopted brothers, gave him a familiarity with less well known areas. Instead, he decides to head to the castle early.


[I'll use white text for OOC notes]
Carrying nothing of use, though his clothes and jewelry do make a fine sight.

_________________
Why carry a gun? Because a whole cop would be too heavy.


Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:28 am
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:21 pm
Posts: 205
Location: Canberra, AU
Post 
Fighting to keep his bussiness face on, and not cheer on his more creative little 'cousin'. Larkspur simply bows to his retreating mistress, heading quickly back to his room, he suits up in his 'sunday bests' (courtiers outfit over chain shirt) and sets his family heirloom on his hip, mainly for show. Slinging his drums over his shoulder as he leaves his other, less neccisary, things in, or on, his bag.

Pack in hand Larkspur reapears, well dressed as usual, in the dinning hall to await his escort.

_________________
And God said "Let there be light!" and the tech crew asked, "On what cues?"

Information and knowledge: two currencies that have never gone out of style
-- Neil Gaiman, American Gods


Last edited by Decebalus on Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:38 am
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:14 pm
Posts: 2769
Location: Location, Location!
Post 
[Spot: 1, Roll: 4 -_-;]

_________________
Image


"Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step to true panic."
--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski


Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:40 am
Profile
WAR SysOp
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:56 pm
Posts: 3479
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Post 
OOC, Stabby, not to worry. Best use your bad rolls now instead of when it's really important. :P Also, did you want me to use your horses for non-dangerous travel? IE, we can take them into town.


Stabby sees nothing. His horses are happy to see him and look as ready for action/adventure as he is, though.

_________________

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp


Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:43 am
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:14 pm
Posts: 2769
Location: Location, Location!
Post 
I planned to use them for travel. Any travel, really. Unless it's like to the haunted castle on top of a mountain. Then they stay back in the town. ^_^

I mean, what's the point of paying for horses if we don't use them?

Stabby walks back into orphanage and gesture to his "brothers." "If you want, you can load some of your stuff into my cart."

_________________
Image


"Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step to true panic."
--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski


Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:48 am
Profile
WAR SysOp
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:56 pm
Posts: 3479
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Post 
Madam Karch comes back, flustered but wearing her traveling cloak.

"Ahh, good. Stabby, I trust your cart is ready? We should get there with plenty of time to spare. Uther, you look quite dashing! Larkspur, sharp as always, and Kanus...you look ready for anything. I'm sure the King will love to have a quick spar with you if we have time."

With that, you are off.


As you travel, you learn a bit more about what happened last night, and why they suspect someone at the orphanage. Apparently, a criminal escaped with the aid of unknown persons from a small prison in Westdock. Guards picked up the trail leading to the Royal Circle, and the orphanage. While they could not catch the escapee and whoever was aiding them, they did see a series of light signals between the feild and the Back Wall. In old shipping code, it stated that this was a 'safe harbour'. Someone was obviously waiting for the escape from inside the walls.

Worst yet, however, is the nature of the crimes of the criminal. Apparently, your nurse says, the criminal was known for victimizing young children. Hense the urgency of this meeting with the king.

The guard you will meet is Leutenant Dellah, who has a long career with the guard, but has been known to fly off the handle once or twice before. It is only due to the possible safety of the children that they are listening to him with such severity.

The Party may make 3 SPOT CHECKS as you travel down the road. It is a busy day for commerce on the roads, but something doesn't feel quite right...as if eyes are lingering on yourselves too long, or perhapse, someone is trailing you.

_________________

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp


Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:13 am
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:50 pm
Posts: 3467
Post 
Uther glances behind himself a few times on the way to the castle, finely-tuned senses giving him a prickle down his spine.

3+7 = 10
1 + 7 = 8
5 + 7 = 12
Man, that sucked. At least I've got max ranks...

_________________
Why carry a gun? Because a whole cop would be too heavy.


Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:07 pm
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:21 pm
Posts: 205
Location: Canberra, AU
Post 
Looking around, occasionally returning a stare with a glare, Larkspur just can't put his finger on the odd sensation.

3+1=4
3+1=4
13+1=14

[edit, me spell much goodly]

_________________
And God said "Let there be light!" and the tech crew asked, "On what cues?"

Information and knowledge: two currencies that have never gone out of style
-- Neil Gaiman, American Gods


Last edited by Decebalus on Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:58 pm
Profile
Cheerful Groupie

Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:03 am
Posts: 1499
Location: not here
Post 
Kanus looks about idly, wondering if he'd remembered to leave some meat out...

1d20+6:
13+6=19
12+6=18
12+6=18

_________________
Don't forget.


Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:16 pm
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:14 pm
Posts: 2769
Location: Location, Location!
Post 
13+1=14
8+1=9
2+1=3

Stabby, keeping an eye on the road as he drives, keeps a watchful eye on the people he passes.

As they ride along, Stabby begins singing.

o/~"Fool enough to almost be it
Cool enough to not quite see it
Doomed
Pick your pockets full of sorrow
And run away with me tomorrow
June
We'll try and ease the pain
But somehow we'll feel the same
Well, no one knows
Where our secrets go"o/~


Perform: 8+13=21

_________________
Image


"Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step to true panic."
--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski


Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:22 pm
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:50 pm
Posts: 3467
Post 
Uther grunts his approval.

"Ach, Sta, that's a bonnie wee song. Where'd ye ken it from?"

_________________
Why carry a gun? Because a whole cop would be too heavy.


Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:16 pm
Profile
WAR SysOp
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:56 pm
Posts: 3479
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Post 
Kanus, you see down the road a cart that seems to have been following you at an exact pace. While this normally wouldn't be a big deal, you also see that it is hardly carrying grain or farm goods along the road. You see two large men, dressed in poor but solid armour of the same design in the back of the cart. The driver, who seems to have a loaded crossbow on his lap, is more intent on your waggon than his own.

Luckily, with the excellent song being belted out by the bardic fellows, they do not seem to think they have been spotted. Looking ahead, you see a long straightaway coming up, and it seems they are preparing to overtake you if they can. The driver with the loaded crossbow has one hand on the reigns, and one on the trigger.


OOC: You will reach the straight-away in the appoximation of 2 rounds. Informing the others and having any kind of conference risks tipping off the people trailing you that they have been seen, but you can try to be sneaky about it. (A Bluff check would be necessary). Alternatively, if you wish to ready any weapons, it will be more obvious, and require a higher DC Bluff. Simply observing them will not require a check.

_________________

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp


Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:14 am
Profile
Cheerful Groupie

Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:03 am
Posts: 1499
Location: not here
Post 
Trying to not look back at them, Kanus leans over and nudges Uther, whispering silently into his ear. (See PM. DM, you too.)

Bluff: 1d20-1
4-1 =3. Bloody hell.

_________________
Don't forget.


Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:59 am
Profile
WAR SysOp
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:56 pm
Posts: 3479
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Post 
While the Driver isn't the brightest fellow, he sees the curious way you lean over and whisper to Uther, and you see him actually curse under his breath, as he now knows they've been seen.

Uther and Kanus, you may both roll Initiative. Everyone else, this is a surprise round.

While the driver seems aware, he obviously wasn't expecting the keen eyes of his targets. He looks to be readying the reigns to speed up, but is slow and fumbling.

_________________

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp


Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:14 am
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:50 pm
Posts: 3467
Post 
Hoody HOO. 19 + 3 = 22.

Uther sighs.

"Couldna brought just one bloody dagger, now could I?"
Uther glances at those sitting nearest him, reaches for-


OOC: okay, Larkspur has his "family heirloom," which may be a sword. If so, I'll take that. Otherwise I'm lifting Kanus' "small axe." I'm purposefully avoiding taking what I perceive to be their "main" weapons (Larkspur's bardic instrument, Kanus's rapier), but Uther is aware he and Kanus are the only ones that can act immediately.

Pick Pocket 18 + 4 = 22 (well, I don't care if they notice I'm taking it, but I need it fast, right? Basically I'm attempting the Move Action of "Draw a Weapon." GM, let me know which weapon I have, eh? Without armour, my AC is 13, btw.)

"Oi'll take tha', my lad," Uther comments, and leaps out of the back of the carriage, running for the ambushers with a yell to alert his comrades.

Wow, this'll suck. Uther's running about in unarmoured frippery, move 20 (2 move actions in a round, right? draw weapon, move). He's hoping desperately that the crossbowman will waste his shot on himself rather than his unprepared brothers, and that his yell will alert them to the danger.

_________________
Why carry a gun? Because a whole cop would be too heavy.


Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:42 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forums/DivisionCore.