It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:17 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 The Demon's Ring - RPG In-Character Posts 
Author Message
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:50 pm
Posts: 3467
Post 
"No," says Uther, "because I know where the inn is, and you don't. I'm also less likely to kill her if she becomes inconvenient. I'll take the girl to the inn and warn the orphanage. You go to the prison. We'll meet here again tomorrow at dawn?"

_________________
Why carry a gun? Because a whole cop would be too heavy.


Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:35 pm
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:14 pm
Posts: 2769
Location: Location, Location!
Post 
"Seriously, Uther, I only try to kill people who actively try to kill me. Besides, your absence would be noted more than mine because of your history."

_________________
Image


"Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step to true panic."
--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski


Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:42 pm
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:50 pm
Posts: 3467
Post 
Uther gives Stabby a flat look. "Ye're going tae look at a prison, in secret, ye daft bugger. What part o'me history, exactly, are ye claiming would make me absence noticed?"

He shakes his head. "Nae, it's plain an' clear. I know where the inn is and ye do not. Ye know where the prison is and I do not. Best keep it tha' way. I'll keep the lass safe and out of that peacock's claws, ye go off and take a look at that emmot-pile they kept her in. That way, I'll be able tae take care of the lass in an enviroonment I'm well familiar with, and you are less like tae start bar-fights, or kill someone who asks ye for change, or insult well-armed dwarves." Uther leans forward at this last bit with a glare. "Unless- since we're talking aboot me history- ye feel ye've got some particular reason why ye're a better person tae keep someone out of the guard's hands?"

_________________
Why carry a gun? Because a whole cop would be too heavy.


Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:07 pm
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:14 pm
Posts: 2769
Location: Location, Location!
Post 
Stabby seems to ignore Uther's comments and instead shifts into a position of exagerated thought. "Hmm... who should we send to break into a place? The musician or the thief? Now that's a quandry.

"And whom do we send with the girl? The dwarf who can barely speak one language, or the bard who can magically understand all languages and so far has shown excellent intuition? Oh, well, maybe Madam should decide, her being the wisest of us all."

'And my being the wise ass of us all,'
Stabby thinks to himself.

_________________
Image


"Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step to true panic."
--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski


Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:20 pm
Profile
Cheerful Groupie

Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:03 am
Posts: 1499
Location: not here
Post 
"Give it up, Stabby. Your name alone won't sit well with anyone. Let Uther do his thing. He didn't have our horses, so it would be easy to guess he was still walking."

_________________
Don't forget.


Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:32 pm
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:50 pm
Posts: 3467
Post 
Uther glares at Stabby for about two seconds.

"Fine," he grates. "Let's have Mistress Karch decide."

After half a second he continues.

"Oh yes, and ye're not jest daft, ye're stupid, if ye think I'm gang tae break intae a lockup. And just for the record, I speak Dwarvish, Gnome and Orc, without needing magic."

_________________
Why carry a gun? Because a whole cop would be too heavy.


Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:37 pm
Profile
Cheerful Groupie

Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:03 am
Posts: 1499
Location: not here
Post 
Kanus eyes the girl for an instant, and iterates words in a language which isn't common.

<OOC: If you understand Gnome, PM me. Uther, if you are telling the truth, PM me. DM, check your PM.>

_________________
Don't forget.


Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:28 pm
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:21 pm
Posts: 205
Location: Canberra, AU
Post 
Riding along with the unit of guards, Larkspur pushes his dog up towards the captain, when level with this man of authority, he opens his mouth to talk, before remembering the note. Holding his tongue, The young gnome allows instead his dog to fall to the tail of the formation, then fishes the note out of his pocket, unfolds it, and reads over the first few lines quickly.

_________________
And God said "Let there be light!" and the tech crew asked, "On what cues?"

Information and knowledge: two currencies that have never gone out of style
-- Neil Gaiman, American Gods


Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:32 am
Profile
WAR SysOp
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:56 pm
Posts: 3479
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Post 
Kanus: re:pm: The girl seems to notice what you are saying, but doesn't respond, or assumes you aren't talking to her.




Madam K looks very antsy at the whole thing, but she is tending to the girl in standard nurse/motherly fashion.

"Boys, she's exausted. The inn is a good idea, but unless you are ALL back at the Orphanage, that bugger of a Captain is going to continue to hold this notion that you're the ones who broke her out of prison. I'll take her to the inn. It will draw much less attention if I go than a bunch of young fellows dragging a lass into a secluded room on their birthday. You get back and make sure this Captain doesn't do anything rash. You will be defending the other..." she pauses, smiling. "I mean, you will be defending the young children. I trust you to do what is necessary and right to ensure their safety." she pauses. "This prison sounds dangerous. I don't like how it's fitting in with this whole plot. If you do need to check it out, please be careful..."


The girl seems very much more relaxed as she listens to the plans unfold, though she starts motioning for something.

EVERYONE PRESENT: Int roll please, DC 14 to determine what she wants.

Oh, and there is a friendly snuffling in the woods nearby. Everyone present knows of Kanus' abilities with the Wildlife, and see his eyes grin in apreciation of his animal-companion's presence.

(Daemon, you can control the wolf as you see fit, unless there's something specific I need him for. :P)


Larkspur:

The Captain casts you an occational glance, but you easily hide the parchment as something to read while traveling. He eventually choses to ignore you, but if you want to talk to him further you can.

The message says (and remember, in character, you will need to tell the others what you wish for them to know what is written)


My dear boys, please forgive this strange circumstance, but time is short and you are caught in the middle of something I fear may not be entirely safe.

First of all: I cannot tell you everything in case this message is captured. But I will give you the starts of the answers. I can only hope, once the truth becomes known, you forgive me and my sins in this matter.

At the old Farmhouse, look for records dating of your births. The date is significant, even if your birthdays are coincidence...or maybe something else. You will find information on the last group of cattle. Cattle. That was the last cow to be slaughtered. Know this, and the rest will come to you when you see the stables.

Cattle is very valuable these days. Bandits will kill you if you uncover too much. Be as silent as you can.

The Captain of the Guard holds me captive with this information. Please be careful, and I will try to send you more help soon. Happy birthdays, and I pray you have time to celebrate.


Attached is a small, flat gem that you know is common among pirate traders. APPRAISE if you wish to determine how much it is worth or any special properties.

_________________

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp


Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:23 am
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:50 pm
Posts: 3467
Post 
[INT 3+ not enough FAIL.]

Uther nods. "Fair enow. Er... I'll nae bother telling you the inn I had in mind, then." He looks at his brothers. "Ri', so..."

An idea occurs to Uther, and a slow, unpleasant smile spreads across his face.

"Well, lads. We know there's bandits aboot, eh? Nothing's really safe, now is it? And the captain will be hunting doon a great dangerous crocking cutty-sark, won't he? And he'll be on unfamiliar ground, now won't he?" Uther rubs his hands together. "I say we assign him a guard. One who can show him the groonds, and protect him frae the dangerous terror. And, of course, since too many people would upset the children, we should restrict the number of people in the orphanage at any time to... say, two?"

Uther grins widely. "I volunteer maeself. I'll let the captain wander where he likes, keep him frae batherin' the bairns, and evidence oor goodwill all at the same time- leaving you lads to keep a sharp eye on his guards, eh?" Uther points a sharp glance at Stabby. "And I'm less likely to stab him and stuff him in th' coal-chute."

He concludes with a muttered imprecation to Kanus, in the same language he used.

_________________
Why carry a gun? Because a whole cop would be too heavy.


Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:10 am
Profile
Cheerful Groupie

Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:03 am
Posts: 1499
Location: not here
Post 
INT: 1d20+3=15+3=18

Kanus instructs his wolf, Rufus, to his side. Rufus is a typical red wolf, though more obedient than one might expect them to be. Turning to Uther, Kanus says, "I'm not sure we get to choose how many guards enter the orphanage at a time. If they have a warrant for a search, they all can enter and look wherever they please with or without our supervision. That is what you were getting at, wasn't it, Uther?"

_________________
Don't forget.


Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:32 pm
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:50 pm
Posts: 3467
Post 
"Oh, I doubt the warrant mentions specifically how many men are allowed inside. I doubt 'place guards brawl with orphans' would be a great benefit to them, either, so I suspect they'll take their lumps."

_________________
Why carry a gun? Because a whole cop would be too heavy.


Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:07 pm
Profile
Cheerful Groupie

Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:03 am
Posts: 1499
Location: not here
Post 
"Doubtful. If a warrant doesn't specifically limit how many can enter the orphanage, they can assume that all of them are allowed. Who is the Law, here: us or them?"

_________________
Don't forget.


Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:16 pm
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:50 pm
Posts: 3467
Post 
"Depends how many of them there are."

_________________
Why carry a gun? Because a whole cop would be too heavy.


Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:36 pm
Profile
WAR SysOp
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:56 pm
Posts: 3479
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Post 
Roll...uhm...Diplomacy, DC is 12 to have knowledge on what these guards can and cannot do with a standard warrant.

_________________

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp


Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:55 pm
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:21 pm
Posts: 205
Location: Canberra, AU
Post 
Running his eye over the gem, Larkspur delves deep into his memory and searches for the info he knows on the gem.
(Appraise: Total 5)

_________________
And God said "Let there be light!" and the tech crew asked, "On what cues?"

Information and knowledge: two currencies that have never gone out of style
-- Neil Gaiman, American Gods


Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:21 pm
Profile
WAR SysOp
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:56 pm
Posts: 3479
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Post 
Ouch. Larkspur knows one thing: It's shiny. Could just be a chip of glass, you're not sure.

_________________

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp


Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:24 pm
Profile
Cheerful Groupie

Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:03 am
Posts: 1499
Location: not here
Post 
[OOC: I would argue that knowledge of what the guards can do is a knowledge (local law) check which, i'm assuming for us, is an untrained INT check which would give us only basic knowledge. Either way, Kanus won't argue the point further.]

_________________
Don't forget.


Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:30 pm
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:50 pm
Posts: 3467
Post 
Diplomacy roll 18 HAHAHA, plus a lot.

_________________
Why carry a gun? Because a whole cop would be too heavy.


Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:16 am
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:14 pm
Posts: 2769
Location: Location, Location!
Post 
[Int: 13+2=15]
[Diplomacy: 18+4=22]

_________________
Image


"Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step to true panic."
--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski


Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:13 am
Profile
WAR SysOp
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:56 pm
Posts: 3479
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Post 
[OOC: Agreed, Daemon, but I figured this would be kinder than having a group of adventurers need to worry about spending ranks in Law. :P]

The law generally states that they have 6 hours complete freedom to search the place. Anyone interfering, like hiding something or blocking a door, etc, can be arrested without further paperwork. Generally, searches like this are done in teams of 6: 2 guards to watch over the operation, 4 to search, but it's likely they'll split up into groups of 3 each because the orpahnage is so large and they are worried about someone escaping.

It is general practice to have officers from your own unit/company involved to keep the search team quick and efficient. They must provide explainations for any property damage caused, but it is generally not frowned upon if they break down a door or bust some locks.

Children, in this case, will be treated with very little respect, and are usually rounded up in one room for a guard to watch over. THey aren't mistreated, just kind of shoved out of the way.

Over all, unless this Captain is nuts, the kids should be fine.


Oh, and SC, you suddenly realize the girl wants a pen and paper to write something down for you. :P

_________________

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp


Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:01 pm
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:14 pm
Posts: 2769
Location: Location, Location!
Post 
Stabby pulls a pen and a piece of parchment he usually wrote lyrics or musical notation on and handed it to the girl. "Is this what you wanted?" he asks.

_________________
Image


"Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step to true panic."
--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski


Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:54 pm
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:50 pm
Posts: 3467
Post 
[Well, then what does Karch expect us to DO? Hang around and look innocent? Oi.

I still suggest we send someone to accompany the guards, and I suggest it be the two most effective fighters. That's Uther and somebody.]

_________________
Why carry a gun? Because a whole cop would be too heavy.


Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:39 pm
Profile
WAR SysOp
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:56 pm
Posts: 3479
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Post 
The girl takes the pen and paper gladly, then quickly begins scratching out a note.

Right away, you realize she is not practiced in writing. It's not unheard of to be illiterate in this day and age and place, but it's rare. Especially for someone of her age. After many frustrated looks, she finally hands the paper back to you, Stabby.

Friend...in trouble. Hurt bad. He not move. Place with ponies back there. Where you from. Please help him!

_________________

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp


Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:15 pm
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:50 pm
Posts: 3467
Post 
[After a verrrry long pause for thought and STABBY ISN'T DOING ANYTHING]

Uther sighs and heads his horse back to the orphanage. "Well, it's nae good tae sit here and wait. I'll be at th' orphanage, makin' sure the wee ones are safe."

_________________
Why carry a gun? Because a whole cop would be too heavy.


Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:33 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forums/DivisionCore.