It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:16 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 The Demon's Ring - RPG In-Character Posts 
WAR SysOp

Alright, unless the axe was secured in any notable fashion, I'd say you grabbed it from Kanus, who has both a bow and his bardic stuff to rely on. Kanus, you can contest this if you want, or suggest a better weapon. Just do so on your action.

The driver knew that he had been spotted by Kanus, but is quite surprised by the Dwarf's instant charge. He looks startled, but doesn't drop his weapon nor the reigns, and is now clearly focused on the bundle of golden/jewled Dwarf zooming towards him!

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:46 pm
Chibi-Czar

"Ach," Uther thinks as he runs, "charging bandits in my altogether wearing a small fortune in gold and carrying a tiny axe. I've nae been this stupid in years."

Sorry, just wanted to add a little colour. ^_^

Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:13 pm
Cheerful Groupie

5+3=8

(OOC: Uther asked Kanus in a whisper for his Axe, so presumably, Kanus was able to give his approval.)

On his turn, Kanus will say bluntly, but not overly loud, "Be prepared to defend yourselves, guys. The men back there don't look very nice."

Kanus will draw his bow and ready an arrow.

Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:06 pm
WAR SysOp

It looks at first that the Driver of the other cart was about to fire at either at Madam Karch or the driver, Stabby. However, when faced with a howling Dwarf with an axe, fear takes over and he fires at the Dwarf instead.

[Attack roll, 9+5 = 14.] Damage: d6 = 2

He looses an arrow, just barely hitting the dwarf, and only because his shirt's many frills and jems caught the weak shot and directed it into his arm-flesh. Barely a drop of blood occurs, however, and the man's frightened face does not lessen.

"HYEAH! HYEAH! Brace yourselves, men! The wretches saw us!"

He commands the mules to speed up, and tries to run over the Dwarf with the power of hooves.

Uther, you may make a Reflex save DC 11 to avoid the mules. If you succeed, you can score an Attack of Oportunity on either the Mules to stop the cart, or on the Driver with another Acrobatics Check of DC13 as you swing yourself up onto the cart. This can be resolved independant of the next round.

Top of Round. Those who did not get an oportunity to act, please roll Initiative. Stabby, anything you do with the cart (speed up/down, maneuver) will require a Ride/Handle Animal check. Let me know if you want to do anything to that effect.

Madam Karch sees the cart behind you and gasps. "My word! HOOLIGANS!" she shouts. "Uther! Be careful!"

She can also drive the cart, but is unable to do anything fancy. Two or three other merchant carts on the road swing wide of the commotion, trying not to get in the way as they see crossbow bolts fly.

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:22 pm
Chibi-Czar

[I'm assuming this action will take place on my turn. I don't plan on engaging in combat right now.]

Stabby begins to sing.

[Perform: 19+8=27]
Buddy you're a boy make a big noise
Playin' in the street gonna be a big man some day
You got mud on yo' face
You big disgrace
Kickin' your can all over the place

We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you

[Inspire Courage: +1 to fear and charm, +1 to attack and damage rolls to all my compatriots that can hear me.]

"Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step to true panic."
--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski

Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:37 pm
Cheerful Groupie

Kanus will let two arrows fly at their pursuers, trying to knock out the driver with the crossbow. Between his two shots, he will comment to the driver and Mrs. Karch, "Get down."

Game: (Not counting Inspire Courage from Stabby. I seem to recall it takes effect at the beginning of his next turn. If I'm wrong, my one roll is unaffected (natural 1) and the other becomes 14 total with damage of 8.)
[Edit: Uther being in Melee with the guy I'm firing at will cause me to take a mandatory -4 penalty to attack rolls. Included.]
[Edit: If the driver of the enemy cart is within 30 feet of Kanus, Kanus get's a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls. His second attack would be 14 with damage possible of 8.]

Rapid Shot: 2 arrows
Attack1: 1d20+9-2-4: 1. Crit fail. "Retard Agility" roll if applicable: 6.
Attack2: 1d20+9-2-4: 10+9-2-4 = 13. Damage: 1d8: 7
18 arrows left.

(OOC: What, exactly, does that natural 1 do for me? Does it prevent me from making the second shot?)

Last edited by Daemon on Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:52 pm
Chibi-Czar

Larkspur, finally noticing what is going on, ducks down low, mumbling in gnome, then pops up and points to one of the men as he snaps his fingers, causing 4 small balls of bright light that rush towards one of the two men in the cart chasing them. Once they arrive, (I assume there are less than 140ft between carts) the orbs rapidly orbit about the mans head at eye level. "Ah, wonderful, that ought to slow him down... a bit."

cast gnome spell, dancing lights
OOC: Yeah, the heirloom is a small rapier, sorry, should have cleared tha up earlier

Information and knowledge: two currencies that have never gone out of style
-- Neil Gaiman, American Gods

Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:02 pm
Chibi-Czar

(I've got no idea what "Acrobatics" involves, but I've got +11 on Climb, +10 on Balance, +3 on Jump, and +4 on Tumble... I'll make the assumption that "Balance" suffices, as that's the closest?)

Uther ignores the minimal damage to his person as the bolt slices him, but grins with the knowledge that the others will now have time to adequately prepare themselves. His eye widen slightly as he realizes the mules are on their way, then narrow as he gauges distances.
Reflex: 7+7=14
Uther carefully sidesteps the rushing mules, then reaches out a hand and grips the side of the cart, trying to swing hiself up.
"Acrobatics": 8+10=18
Grinning savagely, Uther uses the momentum to carry him next to the one who just tried to kill him, and lets Kanus's axe finish the revolution.
Attack: 9+(3 base, +2 STR, +1 masterwork according to Kanus, and alas no bonus from the bard since he hasn't started yet)=15
Damage = 3 if I hit him.
"For Brotherhood!" Uther snarls. "Fear nae, Mistress! This dwarf has tae much tae do tae die just yet!"

Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:43 pm
WAR SysOp

-Uther
-Kanus
-Stabby
-Larkspur
-Attackers

Sorry about that, Uther, it's Tumble (still thinking in GURPS terms), My bad, though, and I'll say that you made the jump and hit him.

Since it's a bit harder to do movement Attacks of Oportunity, basically to decide when you get a "free" attack on the message board, let me know if you think you're able to get an Attack due to someone moving past you, doing something that provokes an attack (like casting a spell, etc) and I'll rule it yay or ney. Anyone not too familiar with AoO, you can look at the general list of stuffs Here

Kanus - your first arrow indeed causes your 2nd shot to fail.

Larkspur, I'll assume your lights attach themselves to the head of the Driver, since it makes the most sense. There are 2 other men in the cart besides the driver, but they have been unable to take any action yet, as they don't have ranged weapons. You're about 40 feet apart.

Kanus' bow backfires and the arrow splinters as they hit a bump in the road. It will take the rest of the round to remove the jagged wooden shaft from the bow string, but the bow itself is not damaged.

Uther manages to swing himself up onto the driver's platform on the cart, using his momentum to slip his axe through the shoulder-bands of the driver's light armour. He is somewhat shocked as, when a bright red spurt of blood flys free from his shoulder, his vision is suddenly clouded by bright, swirlying lights.

"AAAAHHH! GET IT OFF ME! GET IT OFF!"

He screams and falls backwards into the cart, losing control of his crossbow.

OOC: Irony Games Dice-server REALLY likes you guys. I haven't rolled more than 9 for any of the attackers. :P

The other two men scramble to help. One dives for the reins, trying to keep control of the cart as the the mules begin to sense something is wrong. He EASILY jumps over his comrade with the glowing lights on his head and grabs the reins.

"HEYAH! HEYAH!"

The mules calm quickly and the cart speeds up, bridging the gap to about 20 feet. He absentmindedly looks for the crossbow, but then realizes it would be foolish to try for with the axe-armed dwarf right besides him.

Before Uther can attack the new driver, the 3rd man tries to punch the dwarf square in the stomach, hoping that the glittering suit will not provide much protection.

[Attack: 20+3, natural 20, no crit effect] Damage = (1d3+St) = 5

The man flexes his mighty arms and then drives one deep into Uther's stomach with an equally mighty and well-placed punch

I do believe that's top of Round.

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:22 am
Chibi-Czar

Post 27/29 HP, 5 sub
Uther grunts as the fist slams into him, and grits his teeth against the pain. However, his attention is still rivited to the new driver and the threat he presents to his brothers. He hefts the axe again and chops down.
NATURAL 20 BABY.
Confirmation's a 4 + (3base+2STR+1Mwork+1Bard)=11, which I doubt hits.
Damage is 4+(2STR+1Bard)=7.
"Lads!" Uther bellows over his shoulder. "I'm happy to grind these bauchle bandits tae sausage, but I could use a wee spot o' help!"

Last edited by Tozetre on Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:56 am
WAR SysOp

Once you get the feats, you can perform multiple AoO per round, but for now, I'm going to rule that you used your AoO for that round against the other driver. (also, he rolled 20 to take the seat and reigns)

Now that the driver is settled, you CAN attack him, but you'd be provoking an attack from your pall who punched you. This is kinda where it gets messy. The driver is currently NOT attacking and isn't really 'wrestling' the animals control, so he can dodge/avoid you. No AoO there.

Regardless, that was a masterful attack, and I am remembering the extra ST damage. Thanks for pointing it out!

Uther makes a perfect swing at the new driver, connecting solid and hard, drawing blood again past the armour. The driver flinches and falls back on top of his other friend who is frantically trying to remove the blinking lights. The mules seem not to notice, but the reins are now free.

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:31 pm
Cheerful Groupie

Kanus finishes picking the broken shaft from his bow string, and knocks a single arrow, this time, letting it fly at the one trying to punch Uther.

"Little buddy, I'm sorry, but you make a better door than a window!" Kanus called with more than a hint of fear in his voice. He'd never been chased before. No one had ever come close to trying to kill him, yet here they were. The boy took careful aim and let his arrow fly.

Game:
Standard Attack(Arrow Shot):
1d20+4(BAB)+3(Dex)+1(WeapFocus)+1(MWork)+1(Bard)-4(Uther in melee with Target)-1(Morale/Fear :P)=1d20+5
-->19+5=24.
Damage: 1d8+1(Bard)
-->6+1=7
Arrows left: 18

Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:11 pm
WAR SysOp

The arrow flies straight and true, nearly hitting Mr. Punchy in the throat. It digs deep into his collarbone and he lets out a howl of pain, grasping for the arrow and snapping off the bulk of the shaft. The arrow-head is still inside him, though, and he suddenly looks to be re-considering this fight.

OOC: With 2 men scrambling on the ground and one getting shot at by arrows, Mr. punchy needs to roll a Morale check. [Will check= 15]

He braces himself for further attacks, hoping to salvage this ill-fated ambush

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:00 am
Chibi-Czar

Stabby pulls on the reins, stopping the cart. "Get down, ma'am."

[Handle Animal: 1]
[Retard Agility: 11+3]

--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski

Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:17 pm
WAR SysOp

Unfortunately, the 1 still counts. Remember, Retard Agility should only be used with caution. If you double-crit-fail, then your horses would have exploded or turned on you or something equally nasty. ^_^

The horses seem happy going forward. In fact, they are excited because they see lots of other people moving out of the way for them, and assume that's because they are doing something important!

They subsequently speed up a notch, and Madam Karch promply falls over into the back.

"STABBY! You could have told me to sit down instead of making me fall down! "

Sorry, Stabby, she rolled a 1 for Reflex. :P In your defense, she wasn't that graceful. Your horses will need another try if you wish them to stop. The other cart behind you is 30 ft away again, due to the sudden speed increase.

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:52 pm
Chibi-Czar

Larkspur begins muttereing and gesturing as he makes a paper megaphone, once again poping up he starts to talk through the mega phone, no louder than usual.

In the cart behind them everyone can hear larkspur's voice from the back of the cart. "You know, you really should watchout for invisable people sneaking up on you."

Ventriloquism, everyone that can hear it can make a will save (dc15) to realise it's not real

Information and knowledge: two currencies that have never gone out of style
-- Neil Gaiman, American Gods

Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:30 pm
Chibi-Czar

ps; if Mister Punchy tries that unarmed crap again, he's taking an AoO in the face. *glee*

Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:45 pm
WAR SysOp

With a strange voice coming out of nowhere interrupting the fight, Mr. Punchy falls for it and spins around, ready to attack.

"What? Who's there!?!"

Yes, Mr' Dwarf...you can beat the living crap out of him now. One AoO, and on your regular turn (keeping same init) you can attack again. :twisted:

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:10 am
Chibi-Czar

AoO:

Uther grins most unpleasantly. "Thankee for the assist, Larkspur!" His axe swings and bites deeply as the last man standing takes his attention away from the underarmed, unarmoured dwarf.
NATURAL 20 AGAIN!
confirmation 6+(3+2+1+1)=13, :P
Damage 5+2=7.
"Dinnae think I'm done wi' ye YET!" Uther hacks at him again with a savagery learned from a hundred streetfights; don't stop hitting until they stop moving.
AAAAH HAH HAH HAH! I found my new favorite die! NACHRAL TWENNY AGIN!
And a 17+(3+2+1+1)=23 to confirm it!
1+2(+2+2)=7. Pathetic- but I _did_ get to critical in my very first battle. ^_^
Uther pauses to observe the ruin around him, then nods to himself and turns to the back of the cart. "Thankee agin, Lark-" he stops, puzzled, at the absence of Larkspur. "Lad?" He peers at the cart ahead and (presumaby) spots Larkspur. He looks puzzled for a moment, then grins and waves before moving to halt the mules.
Assuming the combat is over... Handle Animal 9+1=10.
Once the dust is settled, and the living thugs punched repeatedly into unconsciousness, he drives the cart up beside his brothers, grinning like a maniac.
"Lads, if oi'd kenned ye got in as much trouble as this wi'out me, oi'd naer hae left!"

Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:07 am
WAR SysOp

After hacking into Mr. Punchy's side where his armour is weakest, Uther manages to knock the hooligan down and on to his friends who were scrambling to pick themselves up, but now seem to have accepted their fate.

Mr. Punchy is pretty much unconcious, and a farmer stops to help you tie up the attackers. Those who saw the battle come by and offer their regards and prayers for your safety.

The two drivers are still concious, with one finally clear of lights around his head, but are now tied up. Despite urging, threats and glowers from the farmer and others passing by, they refuse to speak about their crime...though they certainly don't look as ready to defend their cause as before.

You may question/loot them as you see fit. Assuming you do actually search these men:

-Poorly made cart and 2 worn-out Mules (might get a few silvers or a favour here and there)
-Hand Crossbow with 15 Bolts (Med size, of course)
-2 Mastercraft +1 jewled daggers on the 2nd driver
-Money-Pouch takings of 35gold
-3 strange platinum rings, one on each of their pinky fingers with a coat-of-arms symbol you have never seen before.

Madam Karch waits patiently for the Holigans to be tied up.

"I hate to seem like a worry-wart, but we do have an appointment to keep."

One of the farmers offers to take them into town to be locked up if you so wish.

If you want, you can take the attackers with you, leave them by the roadside (but help may see them), or accept an offer to take them into down. Whoever has a good Sense Motive can try to determine if there are any hidden agendas behind these good offers. Beyond that, you guys are good to continue.

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:13 am
Chibi-Czar

Stabby picks up the two jeweled daggers and one of the rings. "I say we kill two of them and bring one with us to question later."

--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski

Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:16 am
WAR SysOp

Large, worrying sweat-drops apear on their foreheads. 8)

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:18 am
Chibi-Czar

"Eenie, meenie, meinie, mo. Which fucker keeps his head?" Stabby rubs his chin thoughtfully.

"Let's say whichever one of you starts talking first, and most, lives."
[Intimidate: 10+2=12]
[Diplomacy: 7+4=11]
[Gather Information: 14+4=18]
[Whichever are applicable.]

[It's good to be Chaotic Neutral. As long as I can justify something as self preservation or "'cause I felt like it" I can do it. ^_^]

--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski

Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:26 am
Chibi-Czar

Uther holds his hand out. "I think I'll be takin' jest one oo those wee knives, laddie," he says to Stabby with a wink. "On account of I suspect Kanus will want his bonnie axe back. Oh, and I dinnae think it's quite necess'ry tae kill 'em. I'm sure father has a comfortable cell or two, and attentive chaperoones, eh?"

Tucking the dagger into his belt, Uther peers down at the men and gives them an idle kick. "Seems thae've proven thea're no real threat tae us, nae? I wouldn't want tae risk a poor farmer's life guarding them, thoo. P'raps we can just take'm with us and allow the place guards to have their way wi'em."

He pauses, eyeing the money, the other rings, and the weapons. "Well, I suppose we'd best get a move on. Mooney's nae exactly as vital tae me poorposes as it once was." He gathers the assorted loot and dumps it into the cart with his brothers. "Ye all can divvy tha' up, I s'pose, s'long as summat buys me a bucket next ran-dan."

Provided nobody objects, he heaves the bandits into their cart, takes a grip on the reins, and prepares to follow the other cart. "Stabby, lad, I know yae're itchin tae inshoore these bampot gomerils enjoy their imediate future. Why dinnae ye join me and ensure they dinnae try tae scamper off?"

Last edited by Tozetre on Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:37 am
WAR SysOp

-Diplomacy would be for if you're discussing things with them in a calm situation
-Gather Information is more of a "Word on the Street" style of gathering, or a talking to a group of people to get info.

"Bah, you don't scare us, little man!" the first driver snears at you. "You should thank us for trying to put you out of your missery now! Just you wait until our boss hears about this! Right?" he nudges the second man.

The second man turns white.

"AAAHHH! OKAY OKAY! I'LL TALK! I'LL TALK!!!! He said you had the Girl! That you were taking her to the King! That you were... AARHHHG!"

The first driver swears and tries to bash in the other man's jaw with a head-bunt.

Attack while prone = 3...oh god they suck...

He fails misserably, just barely managing to fall on his comrade in a compromising position with his ass sticking up in the other's face. He is now groaning with a mouthfull of sand.

Even Madam Karch seems to find this more humourous than actually threatening. The 'fucker who wants to keep his head' continues, quite terrified as Stabby managed to get his imagination running with all the possible tortures he could come up with.

"We can't let her go! If someone found out what we did..." he cries. "Oh god no...they're going to torture me to death, aren't they? Can't you just let her go? Maybe then I can tell Cisco...yeah...I can tell him we never found her! Yeah! Come on, have a heart, man! Please, just let her go! I promise I won't tell she was here!"

He looks about ready to break down into sobbing. Any further interrogation should be done quick...or you should save him for later.

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:47 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next