It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:56 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 The Demon's Ring - RPG In-Character Posts 
Chibi-Czar

[I'm correct in my assumption that Stabby did, in fact, hand over one of those daggers, yes?

*edit: right then. DM, PM me with the dagger stats- presuming I get it back, later?*]

Last edited by Tozetre on Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:26 pm
Chibi-Czar

Stabby smiles at the gaurds. "Can't have any pointies around the royalty, now can we?"

Stabby hands the gaurds the knife he got off the prisoners and tucks Stabbity Death into his clothes.

[Slight-of-Hand: 15+5=20]

"Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step to true panic."
--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski

Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:24 pm
Cheerful Groupie

(Fine fine. Stabby has a ring. Larkspur has a ring. Kanus just gave up his ring.)

Kanus follows Uther inside, looking forward to seeing "Father."

Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:53 pm
WAR SysOp

OOC: Not too shabby. Of course, there will be armed guards around the king, so don't be trying any "I want to End Fiss' campaign early" attacks. :P

The guards take and register all your weapons, and swear upon their duty that they will be taken care of kindly and securely. While doing so, they do not notice your weapon still on you.

After finishing up with the guards, and the ambushers carted off down the hall, a squire runs up to your group and bows.

"Welcome to the Royal Palace! The King will see you now. Please, follow me."

and takes you to the Royal Court.

SCENE: The Royal Court -
The theme of hard-working farmers is prelivent even in the riches halls here on Vill, and this stays true even at the palace. Instead of stoic marble and gold, the palace is built sturdy and with plenty of room for long-ago-abandoned cart-ways and storage. The floor is polished stone, the high walls are carved stone blocks with fine-crafted wooden archways and doors, and nothing in the place seems overly fancy or decerative.

As you get to the Court, you see a distinct change to fancier wooden tiles and decorative elements on the doors. Obviously, while the Country of Vill is not known for it's excessive lawyers, the ones present do pull some weight and wealth.

There are at least 1 guard stationed at each hall intersection, unarmed except with Saps, who help give information and directions. You do see a random patrol of 1 or 2 sword-berring guards who patrol the main hallways every few minutes.

As you enter the main halls, you feel the guards eyes on you occationally. Something again seems out of place.

Roll SENSE MOTIVE if you will. DC 20 (based on looks and glances alone)

The Page brings you to the doors and shows you inside. You see your King sitting down at a large, oval table, with three other men. The king smiles as he sees you all enter, and stands to walk over to you and meets you with a large, familiar handshake.

"My my! It's been too long, I'd say! Fine lads...no...young men you've all become!" he says with honest enderement. "Well, I won't keep you from your pre-birthday celebrations longer than necessary. We just need to clear up a few things with the guards and you can be off."

He shows you to the table, and has a private word with Madam K.

Listen Checks if you'd like to hear what they talk about. DC 18. Additional
Bluff DC12 if you don't want to be obvious about it.

As you get to the table, you see that the other three men are royal guards. They are the modern-day equivalent of a Police Inspecter, as opposed to a Beat-Cop. As you get closer, a Palace guard comes up to them and whispers something in the middle-guard's ear.

If you'd like to hear anything, Listen DC 22, Bluff DC 16 not to be noticed. Post your rolls if you'd like. DC 18+ gets some of the conversation.

The centre guard looks pleased for a moment, then gives you all a subtle glare that's obviously meant to be seen only by you.

About this time, the King and Madam K come back to the table.

OOC: Post your rolls/actions during this period, and I can refine the next bit.

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:57 pm
Chibi-Czar

[Sense Motive: 5+13=18]
[Listen: 3+8=11]
[Bluff: 4+18=22]
[Listen: 3+10=13]
[Bluff: 4+17=21]

Stabby leaned close to his brothers and whispered, "I think I know what this is about."

--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski

Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:12 pm
Cheerful Groupie

Sense Motive: 4+1=5

Kanus isn't concerned with what the people are saying, giving them to their privacy. However, when the one guard sends a glare at the Four, Kanus returns a questioning look, but Kanus mostly brushes it off. When the King and Mrs. Karch return, Kanus stands up to greet the King properly. "It is good to see you, again. Have you been planning this a long time?"

Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:23 pm
WAR SysOp

OOC: While Stabby is unable to hear anything that is whispered, it makes it seem like he hasn't tried listening in and looks as innocent as a baby.

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:52 pm
Chibi-Czar

Larkspur isn't exactly sure what is going on, but has learnt over the years that it is best not to eavesdrop on such people.

[edit, woah forgot about the guard]
The young McShrub turns away from the guard, and starts to rub his temples 'coincidentally' giving the guard an improptu lesson on sign language.

Information and knowledge: two currencies that have never gone out of style
-- Neil Gaiman, American Gods

Last edited by Decebalus on Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:15 pm
Chibi-Czar

listen 15 FAIL
Bluff 16+2 SUCCESS
listen 1 RETARD AGILITY 13
bluff 15+2 SUCCESS]

Uther, knowing full well that information can keep his skin intact, maintains a perfectly calm face and doesn't so much as twich, while straining his ears to hear the muttered conversations going on around him. Alas, he hears nothing distinct- but at least nobody suspects him of anything but the purest actions. He waits patiently for his father to finish.

At the glare from the centre guard, however, Uther's street instincts kick in; stare down every dog no matter how big they are. He fixes that guard with a flat, unrelenting, emotionless stare. He makes no threatening moves whatsoever, but simply makes sure the guard knows Uther saw, and did not appreciate, the glare. He maintains eye contact until the king addresses the group.

Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:34 pm
Chibi-Czar

Uther looks around, finally getting impatient.
"So... does anyone hae a pack o'cards?"

Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:17 pm
WAR SysOp

OOC: Sorry for the delay. Busy weekend recovering from a busy week. :P

King Gukert sits down at the head of the table and clears his throat.

"Perhaps tea will be later, Uther." He turns to the guards. "Captain Cisco, you have uttered some very serious charges against my young friends here. Please be clear and precise on what it is you are implying."

Captain Cisco, the guard who gave you the secret dirty looks earlier, stands up and reaches into his coat pockets to produce a small roll of parchment. He has a commanding, but somewhat nasal voice.

"Yes, your Highness. At approximately 9:45pm last night, there was an escape from the Westdock Ivory Prison. A female prisoner who suffered from serious criminal derangements was not found in her cell during an hourly check by the guards, and found evidence that linked her escape out the window to outside help with tools and equipment."

Cisco pauses, looking at each of your faces (angry that you all seem so innocent).

"Guards began to scour the countryside, and we found a set of tracks leading away from the prison towards the Royal Circle. Riding with haste, we had hoped to catch up to the escapee before she reached civilization, but when we reached the outskirts of the city and the fields around the Orphanage, we saw someone from within signalling a lamp, and a returned signal from the fields. Before we could get to the source, the prisoner had already reached the gates and disappeared within.

We believe that this has something to do with the Sacrifice-Birthed, as this crazy woman often spoke of the event as part of her dementia."

The king frowns at this and sighs. "Captain Cisco, I'm afraid there is no direct evidence implicating my young charges here. I have already discussed with their head-nurse and confirmed they were in bed the entire night. Further more, there has been no evidence of this escapee you speak of staying inside the walls."

"I'd have known if there was an extra child within the gates, Good Captain." Madam Karch says curtly. "Why did you call on my children here when you have no proof?"

The Captain looks nervous all of a sudden, then turns to the King. "I may have been understating the prisoner's involvement with the upcoming Sacrifice, my Lord."

"Oh?? How so?" King Gukert asks.

"I?Cannot say in front of civilians, my Lord."

The king glares at the Captain, then turns to you all. "Is there anything you'd like to say to the Captain before I let you run off? Obviously, this has all been just a misunderstanding of circumstance."

The Captain looks ready to protest, but is shot down by the King's glare.

Anything you'd like to ask/check/laugh/mock do so. :P

Oh, and if you haven't seen any strange connections with the Captains' name, roll INT and tell me what you get.

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:27 am
Chibi-Czar

"Well," says Uther, after a slight pause, "faer be it frae ME to offer advice tae s'glaerious a personage as Captain Cisco, but did ye nae ken thet mebbe- jes' mebbe- criminals who kidnap or escape a loon might not conscience using orphans and children tae cover their tracks? Hmm?"

Uther snorts after this short diatribe. "If it's nae bandits, it's bangies."

"Wai', say tha' last bit agin? Sacrifice-birthed? Wha', like us? I dinae like tha' by half. An' why was she crazy? Why did ye lock her up, 'xactly?"

Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:03 am
Chibi-Czar

"Oh, she wasn't crazy at all," Stabby says rather offhandedly. "She was just being kept there because she was to be the sacrifice. That's why they're so worried and eager to find her."

--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski

Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:48 am
Chibi-Czar

"Crazy's a matter of some opinion, now innit?" he mutters. "Sides, he said she was important, nae that she was th' sacrifice. Could be she just knows summat, eh?"

Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:15 pm
Chibi-Czar

"No, I'm pretty sure she was the sacrifice. Now she might know something too, thus the whole sacrificing her thing."

--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski

Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:27 pm
Cheerful Groupie

"Perhaps you didn't realize this, Stabby," Kanus begins, "but not all women are sacrifices. What evidence do you have that it was the Sacrifice and not something like her sister or some lunatic who felt their desires were worth more than the needs of everyone else?"

Turning to the captain, Kanus questions, "If we were involved, what's with those men that tried to kill us because they thought we had the girl?"

Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:02 pm
Chibi-Czar

"My guess would be they're part of a shadowy group somehow connected with the Demon's Ring, of which I suspect our captain here is a member, and thus were working under his mistaken opinion that we had the girl." says Stabby, continuing to shoot his mouth off.

--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski

Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:53 pm
Cheerful Groupie

Kanus irately retorts Stabby's accusation, "If he were a member of some shadow organization, it would be in his best interest to not invite us directly to the castle while sending assassins to kill us. Had they been successful, the King would only have to ask why we were headed here and given that he knew the Captain ordered it already, the Captain would then have been a dead man. You should think through your idiotic accusations before proving what a lout you are.."

(OOC: Sorry, man. I totally had it in mind that I would be a loving brother to everyone, but a certain aspect of my character prevents it. ;_;)

Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Chibi-Czar

"Well, let's get it straight from the horse's mouth," Stabby says, turning towards the captain. "Are you a member of a shadowy group somehow connected with the Demon's Ring?"

--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski

Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:29 pm
Chibi-Czar

Uther smacks Stabby upside the back of the head and gives him a glower. "Lads, lads. Just let the captain answer the questions, eh?"

Uther gives Cisco a piercing gaze.

"Well, captain? De ye nae see some advantage in letting the men ye just falsely accused of high crimes know wat's goin' on?"

Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:30 pm
Chibi-Czar

"Aye, I would like to know the details, as it seems we are the prime suspects,singled out both by our friends and the fiends we sat alone, watching all sides not trusting anyone, lest of all rest. Sargent Heritous."
Giving himself a moment to catch his breath Larkspur tilts his head and peers at Cisco intently then begins again, "I'd be more than willing to help with the man... or woman hunt, and any information would definatly speed things up.

Information and knowledge: two currencies that have never gone out of style
-- Neil Gaiman, American Gods

Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:27 am
WAR SysOp

Oooh boy...this will be fun. ^_^ Sense Motive for anyone who wants to see the King's reation to the chatter. DC 13.

The Captain looks a bit surprised by the sudden outbursts of accusations, waits for it to all die down, then laughs.

"You've got to be kidding me. Are you not sure that your crime of aiding a criminal is well hidden enough that you have to twist the fault towards me? First of all, this is a criminal, plain and clear. The only connection she had to the Sacrifice was her unnaturally high obsession over it and thus, we suspected she'd seek out others who knew more about it. Also, she was held at a Palace-registered prision. And that, you can check with the recordspeople here in the Palace if you so desire. We do not sacrifice criminals because it is the infernal Demon's wishes that the yearly boon be spake from her own lips! Why would we send a criminal who would be all too likely to ask revenge on her captors, no matter how just that imprisonment?"

While he is smiling, there is something about this speach that seems practiced. SENSE MOTIVE DC 17 if you'd like to peer into his words a bit more.

"Furthermore, I have been speaking to the King all morning. If you believe I have been orchestrating random bandit attacks upon you, than please, let me see these men who attacked and I'm sure they will be quick to confess any of their sins. Unless you feel I were to be controling them, then by all means, ask them without my presence!"

He laughs again, then turns to the King.

"I must stress the seriousness of this, my King. I came to you instead of arresting your young charges because I believed you would want the truth as well. But now, I have no choice but to look for more evidence at the Orphanage. "

He turns to Madam K, who seems terrified at the prospects of guards tromping around the grounds.

"I will have my warrent by Supper. Please inform the children so they can stay out of the way."

He turns to the King.

"I have business to attend to. May I be excused, your Highness?"

The King looks back and forth worriedly between the Guard, Madam K, and yourselves. "Of course, Captain. I expect your duty to be done. But please, before you leave, allow the children here to refute their claims with the bandits."

Rolls, peoples? Reactions?

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:11 pm
Chibi-Czar

[Sense Motive: 1]
[Retard Agility: 3]

Stabby removes the silver ring he took from one of the assailants out of his pocket.

[Appraise: 6+4=10]

"Your highness, I can assure you that, despite what our dear captain believes, none of us had anything to do with the girl's escape. We did not even learn of it until this morning."

--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski

Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:59 pm
Cheerful Groupie

KingSenseMotive: 8
CaptainSenseMotive: 15

"Not only is that true," Kanus comments, "but that's also the first thing he's said all day that makes sense."

Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:26 pm
WAR SysOp

Stabby: You're not sure about the King, but you are SURE that the Captain is probably taking out his anger at running a crappy, government-run prison on you...more than likely looking to make some glory for himself so he can get a better job.

Kanus: King, nothing, but the comments from the Captain seem suspicious. (Can't point them out to you, roll was hard) but it seems that his words were practiced, as if this could be a comonly rehearsed alibi or statement.

Don't worry, otherdudes, I'm not forgetting you, post when you can, I'll give you reactions.

The King looks briefly at the ring and seems obviously disturbed by it. He turns to the Captain. "I think it's clear the children are not to blame."

The Captain also sees the ring, but seems to be trying to ignore it. "We will see then. I shall issue a formal appology if it is necessary after this is all said and done."

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:53 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next