It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:21 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 The Demon's Ring - RPG In-Character Posts 
Author Message
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:21 pm
Posts: 205
Location: Canberra, AU
Post 
King sence motive: 19+7= 26
Guard sence motive: 5+7= 12

"I may just seek out and ask these records people, not to second guess you, m'lord, but to learn what I can about the one at the core of this mess. So If I should happen upon the woman at the heart of this, I should know her for whom she is. Nicheleshika Bolstavi."

_________________
And God said "Let there be light!" and the tech crew asked, "On what cues?"

Information and knowledge: two currencies that have never gone out of style
-- Neil Gaiman, American Gods


Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:20 pm
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:14 pm
Posts: 2769
Location: Location, Location!
Post 
Stabby slipped the ring back into his pocket and drummed his fingers on the table. "Well, Kanus, how about this? I bet you that if we look into this matter, you'll find I'm right. In fact, I'll bet you a muffin. Everybody loves muffins! Don't you like BRAAAAN?" Stabby smiled at the inside joke.

"Though the records would be of no problem to forge for someone of the captain's rank, not to mention this shadowy organization's reach, it would make an excellent point to begin our investigation. I suggest we examine the records post-haste, to give us enough time to return to the orphanage."

_________________
Image


"Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step to true panic."
--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski


Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:14 am
Profile
Cheerful Groupie

Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:03 am
Posts: 1499
Location: not here
Post 
"I'm not sure you're in any position to claim you're right. You have no evidence, no motive, and, clearly, no sanity."

_________________
Don't forget.


Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:45 am
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:50 pm
Posts: 3467
Post 
[sense motive 1, king: 16 SUCCESS
sense motive 2, captain: 9 FAILURE]

Uther squints at the captain for about two seconds after he says the word "warrant," then snorts.

"I'll nae be taking yer rifling through my things lying down, ye badling bulkie! I druther take me chances wi' bandits than yer bane. if yer men truly wish tae search me, they can try tae pry my belongings frae me cold, dead fist, after following me intae the wilderness and facing the fury of me blade!"

At the first attempt to placate or reprimand him (easy to assume with Mistress K and the king present), he throws up his hands. "Enow! I'll stand this peacock blatherskite no longer! If he dares tae accuse me of this one more time, I'll respond wi' steel, nae words." He glares at the captain. "I dinnae care what reasons ye have tae blame me, but I will nae conscience it!"

He turns and stomps to the door, where he whirls and jabs a finger at the captain. "And ANOTHER thing, ye carnaptious puddock with a face like bag o' bruised fruit! If I see this gairl, ye can be rest assured I'll make sure tae hear HER saide o' th' story! I willnae be threatened by a puffed-up cuddie putting on airs!"

His (emphatic) piece said, he leaves, hustling to where he left the spare cart.


He plans to get back to the orphanage as quickly as possible, grab all the various incriminating objects he might have about, and suit up for a rough couple of days. Once he's prepared, he'll return just as quickly in the hopes of shadowing his brothers' return or further travels... if someone is following them, he thinks he's the best man to track them down. If the GM says this is okay, I'd like to put his entire inventory on his person, get back to the castle, and lie in wait for any would-be ambushers... ESPECIALLY now that he's pissed the captain off, hopefully to show his hand, if any.

_________________
Why carry a gun? Because a whole cop would be too heavy.


Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:23 am
Profile
WAR SysOp
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:56 pm
Posts: 3479
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Post 
Toze and Deceb, you both noticed that the King is shook up slightly after he sees you have that ring. He seems to be in a sudden hurry to clear you of any wrongdoing and get you out of there. The most curious thing is you sense that the exchange between the King and Captain isn't completly unfamiliar. The King knows something about this...more than just an innocent mediator in the middle of an accusation.

The Captain glares at Uther and says:

"IF you see this girl, young Dwarf, I would you expect you to do your civic duty and report it to me WITHOUT conducting a vigilante trial on your own. Now take me to these bandits so I may clear my name and get on with this!"

Madam K is beet red with anger, but it's clear she isn't angry at you guys. "Children. We should go. We must make sure the young ones aren't caught under heel if this...fiend is to be our supper-guest. I'll get the cart ready!"


Party Options:
First of all, I'm a kind DM, and won't make you face a million trolls if you split up. Here are your possible courses of action while you're here:

-Madam K is going to get the wagon ready. Someone can go with her and the Captain to check on the Bandits and try to get some info from them.
-The Records Library is in the Palace, but researching the information about the prision and it's prisioners may take a few hours. You can arrange for transport back to the Orphanage about the time that the Captain plans to go with his Warrant (research and the warrant-getting will take about the same time)
-You can go back to the Orphanage on foot or other transport. The king is generous, and you can probably get there with plenty of time to hide/check/setuptraps/whatever you want.
-Also, once someone goes with the Captain to check out the bandits, someone can stay and talk to the king if they want.

I'll be generous with time. Just let me know what you want to do, who you want to do it with, and if/how you want to split up. If you want to check the records, it WILL take hours, and will be unable to do little else. I may require Int rolls.

_________________

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp


Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:44 pm
Profile
Cheerful Groupie

Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:03 am
Posts: 1499
Location: not here
Post 
While searching through the library seems like fun to Kanus, he volunteers instead to go with the Captain and Mrs. Karch to see the prisoners. He almost reconsiders his direction, though, as he has spent so much time in the libraries before, but he would rather go and find what the villains have to say.

_________________
Don't forget.


Last edited by Daemon on Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:58 pm
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:50 pm
Posts: 3467
Post 
[Yeah, still booting it to the orphanage then. No desire to have someone rifling through my various acquisitions and tools. <_< Also want to return right quick, even meet the group halfway if it's possible, do the shadowing thing, on account of I'm pretty much naked and useless to the group atm, and protecting them from the shadows is the best idea Uther can come up with right now.]

_________________
Why carry a gun? Because a whole cop would be too heavy.


Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:48 pm
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:21 pm
Posts: 205
Location: Canberra, AU
Post 
Holding true to his suggestion earlier, Larkspur heads through the castle to the Lbrary of Rcords, doing a hunt for information on the fugative both attackers and aids tie directly to us. When the time comes he will return in the company of the captain and his unit.

_________________
And God said "Let there be light!" and the tech crew asked, "On what cues?"

Information and knowledge: two currencies that have never gone out of style
-- Neil Gaiman, American Gods


Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:47 pm
Profile
WAR SysOp
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:56 pm
Posts: 3479
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Post 
I'll wait before going gung-ho until SC can post, but in the meantime:

-Toze, you quickly excuse yourself and find a stable-guard who you've known for a long time to lend you a speedy little horse.
-Daemon, you head with Karch and the Captain to question the prisoners. The captain seems very smug about the whole thing.
-Decebalus, you head to the library of records and start doing some research. I'll need a Search DC 8 check from you to start.

_________________

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp


Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:43 pm
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:21 pm
Posts: 205
Location: Canberra, AU
Post 
[Roll+Search=13]

_________________
And God said "Let there be light!" and the tech crew asked, "On what cues?"

Information and knowledge: two currencies that have never gone out of style
-- Neil Gaiman, American Gods


Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:37 pm
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:14 pm
Posts: 2769
Location: Location, Location!
Post 
Stabby decides against going with the captain, figuring he's already got all the information to be had out of the attackers. Instead he journeys to the records. Sifting through the records, he looks for both records of the escaped girl, and any records bearing the symbol on the ring he carries.

[Search: 9+2=11]
[Search: 20!+2]


[I assume I need two rolls for the two searches?]

_________________
Image


"Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step to true panic."
--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski


Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:42 pm
Profile
WAR SysOp
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:56 pm
Posts: 3479
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Post 
Mmm, interesting. SC, I'll be nice and accept your 20, since it does make sense you'd look for it as well. Really, however, it ties into the first search.

Uther: After managing to get the horse, you rush back to the orpahnage. Nothing seems out of the ordinary as you reach the stables and are greeted by many of the younger children...but... ROLL SPOT!

Stabby and Larkspur: You are shown to the Records Library. Nearly EVERY mundane aspect of the entire country is there, but luckily, it was indexed by an intellegent gnome by the name of Dewy Desemal, and you are soon in the right sections. Stabby sifts through the Family Crests and Coats of Arms, while Larkspur hunts through the records of the Prison and the Prisoners held within. Both of you reach for the same book at the same time. "Eastport Ivory Prison" with a promanent symbol matching roughly the coat-of-arms on the ring. You each grin and take the book to the tables for further study.

[ASSISTED ROLL: INT ROLL. Both of you each must Roll INT (add your modifier, of course) and the TOTAL must equal 15 for basic knowledge....but I will reward you if the total is over 25. :P]

Kanus...you follow Madam K and Captain Cisco down to the guards stables:

The guards flash you all a strange look. Kanus, roll Sense Motive, DC 14. They allow you past into the guards cells, and lead you to a holding pen.

Three, mouldy old men sit there, completely dazed and near death from mistreatment and disease. They are ALL obviously NOT the attackers you brought into the city.

The captain sighs and turns to you and Madam K.

THESE were the attackers you escaped from? Why, it looks as if they would tumble over at the slightest breeze! I would say it be a good thing that they had not bested you, or you would be the laughing-stock of Eleven-Year-Olds everywhere!

_________________

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp


Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:37 am
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:21 pm
Posts: 205
Location: Canberra, AU
Post 
Just before opening the book McShrub taps out a quick drumroll before delving into these records.
[Int Roll 20+2]

_________________
And God said "Let there be light!" and the tech crew asked, "On what cues?"

Information and knowledge: two currencies that have never gone out of style
-- Neil Gaiman, American Gods


Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:45 am
Profile
WAR SysOp
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:56 pm
Posts: 3479
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Post 
Larkspur turns to the (unknown to him) PERFECT page.

[waits on SC's roll. ^_^ +1 due to the mega 20 Decebalus rolled. Roll a 2 or higher and you're golden, SC. And yes....the higher total result will equal more info. If you guys reach 30 or 40.....well, it won't give away the entire plot, but you'll know EXACTLY where to go.]

_________________

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp


Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:49 am
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:14 pm
Posts: 2769
Location: Location, Location!
Post 
[INT: 6+2=8]

_________________
Image


"Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step to true panic."
--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski


Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:12 am
Profile
Cheerful Groupie

Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:03 am
Posts: 1499
Location: not here
Post 
Sense Motive: 1d20+1=16

Kanus looks at the captain as if he's stupid. "These are definately NOT the assailants from before. Why, we just brought them in today - on our way here. How could they have developed mold and disease in such a short time?" Kanus looks at Madam Karch, asking, "Do these men look like the ones that attacked us to you?"

Kanus turns to look behind them, briefly, lowering his head in thought. "Since I know you never got a chance to see the attackers, it would be unreasonable to assume you set this up. Therefor, my assumption must be that one - or some - of your men assisted the "girl" in escaping and, because they knew we'd be on our way here, one of them set up the attack on us."

Kanus turns back to the Captain. "Just in case, may I ask that you question them about the items we took from them after their defeat? Ask them what weapons they used. Ask them to describe our combat - how it was that we captured them. I want to see what they relate to us.

_________________
Don't forget.


Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:33 am
Profile
WAR SysOp
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:56 pm
Posts: 3479
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Post 
Kanus, you have a very strong suspicion that the guards are in on this 'misplacement', and the eyes of every armed guard are very heavy on you. They don't seem hostile, but it's clear who's side they're on. The captain is very much aware of this if the grin on his face means what you think.

Madam Karch glares at the guards. "No, Kanus they look nothing like the attackers. Something is obviously very wrong here." she says, though she is also getting the hint that this is hardly a time to throw around accusations.

The Captain walks over to the cell and looks in ont he prisoners. "Your spoils are still at the front gate. Use them as you see fit, I care not. After all, this has nothing to do with me. I trust you do not need me to stay any longer? It's clear I would have nothing to do with this riff-raff, and I find it insulting that you would choose to implicate me on a childish game. I'm glad you see that I have nothing to do with this."

He turns to you, takes a step over and whispers right next to you so Madam K can't hear. His voice takes on a dangerous edge. "Now, listen to me you little scruff. I don't know why you're helping her. I don't right care. We all have a moment of weakness here and there for the pretty girls, but this is beyond your control. There are a lot of people who would pay a lot of money for her, and you wouldn't want them as your enemies...especially since they'll send me after you. Your 'Father' cannot protect you. Make NO mistake about that."

He turns and walks out in an angry stride before you can respond.


Using your prev Sense Motive roll, you know for a fact that he is honestly convinced you are hiding this 'girl'.


Madam K taps you on your shoulder. "Kanus...We should leave. The guards don't seem to be most co-operative." she says, glaring at them as they glare back.




Back in the Library:



Larksur and Stabby find a very interesting bit of information on the prison. It is indeed registered as it should be, but there are a few odd facts that don't seem to match up with other prison registers. First of all, this is an old farm-building that had been retrofitted into a stronghold. Second of all, it's prisoner content seems to be quite exclusive. The entire prison is designed to hold not but 30 people, including staff. And indeed, the crest on the rings is the very same of the old farm building's crest.

There is also a hand-written note that seems to be scawled by a VERY FAMILIAR hand, by the King himself. It prohibits tresspassing in all circumstances, and states that a special guard duty has been assigned to this prison. Tresspassing on this land is punishable by pain of death.


Of course, directions to the prison are included, and you may make use of a crude map of the area at a later date if you so wish. (I'll draw it up)

_________________

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp


Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:51 pm
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:14 pm
Posts: 2769
Location: Location, Location!
Post 
"Curiouser and curiouser... Come, Larky, let's find madam and get back to the orphanage, post haste."

_________________
Image


"Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step to true panic."
--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski


Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:38 pm
Profile
Cheerful Groupie

Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:03 am
Posts: 1499
Location: not here
Post 
Kanus nods his agreement to Madam Karch, and hurries out with her. Speaking swiftly to Madam K on their hasty exit, Kanus comments, "You know, the funny thing is that we aren't helping the girl at all - we're just defending ourselves from misplaced malice, but do you think the Captain and his guards will believe it? At least now we know the Captain is in on it. Remind me not to tell Stabby."

Where Kanus and Madam K go is entirely up to Madam K's leading, at the moment.

_________________
Don't forget.


Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:44 pm
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:14 pm
Posts: 2769
Location: Location, Location!
Post 
[ ^_^ ]

_________________
Image


"Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step to true panic."
--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski


Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:48 pm
Profile
Cheerful Groupie

Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:03 am
Posts: 1499
Location: not here
Post 
(OOC: Hey, I knew where you were going, too, but we had no reason in-character to believe it. And, you're still insane. :P )

_________________
Don't forget.


Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:03 pm
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:14 pm
Posts: 2769
Location: Location, Location!
Post 
[Eh, all I did was yell, "The butler did it!" repeatedly. ^_^;]

_________________
Image


"Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step to true panic."
--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski


Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:15 pm
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:21 pm
Posts: 205
Location: Canberra, AU
Post 
"The name is either Larkspur, or McShrub, and I would prefer no deviations from these. But anyway you go on ahead, I'll catch up in a while, I just want to catch up on a spot of reading first nothing important or anything. Please tell Madam Karch I'll be home in time for the inspection."

Essentially I just want to kill some time to make sure I am walking back with the Captain of the Guard, as he is on his way to search the orphanage.

_________________
And God said "Let there be light!" and the tech crew asked, "On what cues?"

Information and knowledge: two currencies that have never gone out of style
-- Neil Gaiman, American Gods


Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:52 pm
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:50 pm
Posts: 3467
Post 
[aaaand back from class for the day. whew.]

...

[aaaaand rolled a TWO. plus my spot, which is... 7! for a total of 9, ugh. Barring seing anything, he'll hustle to his room and clean it out.

Then, he'll steal that horse. ^_^]

_________________
Why carry a gun? Because a whole cop would be too heavy.


Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:11 pm
Profile
Chibi-Czar
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:14 pm
Posts: 2769
Location: Location, Location!
Post 
"Fine, fine. Just don't get yourself killed. I've been having a pretty good day so far and I'd hate for you to ruin it with an untimely death."

Stabby leaves and meets up with Madam Karch and Kanus heading towards the stables. "I found some information that could prove usefull to us. How did it go with you guys? The captives mysteriously disappear?"

_________________
Image


"Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step to true panic."
--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski


Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:57 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forums/DivisionCore.