A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski

Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:30 pm
Chibi-Czar

Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:38 pm
Chibi-Czar

Yeah, so last night I was working on my notes for the game. One of the things I was working on to post here was a long, rather thurough description of money in the RPG. Unfortunately, my flash drive got jostled and I lost all data in any file created less than about six hours before the jostling occured. >.< This includes the aforementioned money descriptions, as well as the syllabus for your classes and the specific lesson plans I had made. I also lost a character sheet on one of the main NPCs I had made. Fortunately, most of the data I had written was saved to files created before the six-hour limit and thus was preserved.

I logged on today, expecting to have to delay the RPG, but fortunately for me I haven't recieved any new CS's yet. So I should be able to spend a few hours today re-writing that stuff.

Also, I'm having some ISP problems and can't access the internet from home. Fortunately, I'm within walking distance of my local library. Unfortunately my computer decided not to work. And my laptop decided not to work. Fortunately, my old laptop still works (with 300MHz, 3GB of HD, and all of 3 minutes battery life) at least well enough for me to muddle along. Plus, I saved most of the files I'll need to my flash drive anyway. Unfortunately my other HD contains my GURPS library and I'm now functioning on just the Basic Set and Magic books. Fortunately I have the other books I'll need (Compendium I, Beastiary, & Grimore) on an old HD I haven't been using that I can put in an IDE->USB case I have and access it from my laptop. (My laptop uses Win2000, while my HD with the GURPS library on it uses Linspire and Windows can't read the MINIX file system.) Fortunately I have a spare, blank 120GB HD I can load Linspire on and slave my other drive to so I can recover the data. (I bought two 120GB drives, but only need one so far. Why by one when you can buy two for twice the price? ^_^;) It's just really fortunate that I happen to have so many spare parts (and for that matter, spare computers) lying around my house. ^_^

"Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step to true panic."
--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski

Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:29 pm
Chibi-Czar

Amen to THAT! Sparky spent two days and $500 fixing his system when it died. Spare parts are the win.

Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:08 pm
Chibi-Czar

Post Money
There are three basic coinages that make up the currency in the Hogwarts Universe.

Galleon-- The Galleon is a round coin, roughly the size of a Spanish dabloon. It is made of 14K gold. On the front of the coin is the Gringotts' seal and a series of numbers around the edge signifying the goblin who stamped it and the date of manufacture. On the back is a dragon shown in profile, head bent back, tail arched forward, wings extended, and flame issuing from its mouth. A single Galleon has the purchasing power of roughly $20 or ?10 as this is going on in Britain.

Sickle-- The Sickle is a cresent coin, the size of an American quarter with three quarters of the material removed. It is made of pure silver. On the front of the coin is a series of numbers signifying the goblin who stamped it and the date of manufacture. On the back is a moonscape of a quarter-moon. A single Sickle has the purchasing power of $1 or ?.50. There are seventeen Sickles in a Galleon.

Knut-- The Knut is a torrent coin, the size of an American penny with the center removed. It is made of bronze. On the front of the coin is a series of numbers signifying the goblin who stamped it and the date of manufacture. On the back are seven five-pointed stars evenly spaced around the ring. A single Knut has the purchasing power of $.02 or ?.01. There are twenty-nine Knuts in a Sickle.

The Wealth advantage doesn't determine your starting wealth, but the starting wealth of your family. You don't have direct access to this money, but you do have limited access. This is not to say you will be without funds. Your parents leave you a stipend with the school. From this stipend you draw a weekly allowance. This money can be picked up at the school store. As you won't be able to go into town, the only place you'll be able to spend your allowance will be the school store unless you can convince an older student to buy something for you in town. An Average Wealth level will net you five Sickles a week.

--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski

Last edited by Anony-mouse on Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:35 pm
Chibi-Czar

I'm offering bonus XP in exchange for taking some of the grunt work off me, research-wise. For every spell pulled from one of the books with a brief description, you'll recieve .5XP. I'm also offering .5XP for each magical creature w/description pulled from the books (Blast-ended Skrewts, Hippogriffs, Cornish Pixies, and Doxies don't count because I already have them). If you don't include the description or the incantation, you don't get anything. For those of you without the books, here's a RapidShare of all six published to date.

--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski

Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:34 pm
Chibi-Czar

Are you looking for just a list, or do you want full GURPS conversion?

Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:33 pm
Chibi-Czar

Wikipedia has a list of canonical spells.

Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:37 pm
Chibi-Czar

Accio (The Summoning Charm)
Matches Apportation from M69, save that the object moves only to the caster. I suggest this reduction of casting cost to balance the reduced efficacy of hte spell; 1 for a subject up to 10 pounds, 2 for a subject up to 50, 3 up to 200, and 3 for each 100 additional pounds.

Aguamenti
Matches Water Jet from M40 pretty much exactly.

Alohomora
Matches Lockmaster from M70 fairly well, though Lockmaster doesn't also automatically open the door. However, the spell does require apportation and Magery 2 to cast. I suggest eliminating the Magery 2 requirement and adding the auto-open as a cinematic effect, which may have unfortunate repercussions when trying to sneak about.

Anapneo
"Clearing a subject's airway" sound kinda like Breathe Air from M39, except that it doesn't help water-dwellers. I would reduce the cost to 1 or 2, and 1 to maintain.

Aparecium
See Invisible from M58.

Avis
Beast Summoning from M23.

Colloportus
Magelock from M77

Crucio (The Cruciatus Curse)
Combination of Deathtouch, M27, and Pain, M26. I would take Deathtouch and add 2 to the cost of the spell to cast, making it 3-5, adding a round to the casting time, and allowing the caster to spend the fatigue again each round, as per Pain, to maintain the effect.

Deletrius
There's a Copy spell in M60, I suggest this is about as powerful but has an opposite effect.

Densaugeo
Seems to be a form of Alter Visage from M28.

Diffindo (The Severing Charm)
Looks a whole lot like Weaken from M59

Engorgio (The Engorgement Charm)
Enlarge Object from G69

Ennervate
Awaken from M49

Episkey
Minor Healing from M50

Evanesco (The Vanishing Spell)
Hide Object from G44

Expecto Patronum (The Patronus Charm)
Repel Spirits from G85

*posted here to save the info*

Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:49 pm
Chibi-Czar

i give you, the almost official, maintained by thedarkarts.org and co, harrpy potter wiki, covering: Characters ? Creatures ? Places ? Potions ? Spells ? Things.

http://harrypotterwiki.org/wiki/Main_Page

and, the canon discussion forum on fictionalley park: http://forums.fictionalley.org/park/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=10

more stuff: http://gothlupin.tripod.com/index.html

Last edited by Kerrus on Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:27 pm
Chibi-Czar

i'll be downloading the books tonight when i get home.. thing i'm trying to get is why its needed.. i have an idea why.. but meh

also.. its been a LONG time since i've done any DND/GURPS playing.. so i'm trying to create my CP and its confusing me for a few things.

Status/Rep/Wealth:Just how do we set this...?

speed/move/thr???/SW???/FT???/HP(Hit Points?)

the other stuff i think i understand..

like i said.. its been too long of a time

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:20 am
Chibi-Czar

Status/Rep/Wealth:Just how do we set this...?

They count as advantages. You spend points to increase their level. You start at Average Wealth, but for 10 points you get twice the starting money (irrelevant here for the most part) and twice the weekly pay. At 20 points (the limit for this game) you get five times the starting cash and five times the weekly pay. Conversely, you can take -10 points in Wealth, get half starting cash and pay.

Status is your level of status in the society. So if you're of a famous wizarding family, or one or more of your parents are in politics, you could have high status to reflect this. It increases you reaction bonus when you meet people. As with Wealth, you can take a negative in this for low social status. This frequently goes along with Wealth, but not always.

Reputation is the word that's abuzz about you. An example of this is that Harry Potter would have a very high score in this with most Wizards, but a very low score with dark Wizards and certain other groups.

Uzumaki Naruto wrote:
speed/move/thr???/SW???/FT???/HP(Hit Points?)

Speed is (HT+DX)/4, keep the decimals. Move is your Speed score, rounded off to an integer, and minus any encumberance. Thr is short for Thrusting Damage, and Sw is short for Swinging damage. This is a measure of how much damage you do with physical attacks. FT is Fatigue, which is equal to your Strength, plus or minus any advantages or disadvantages. You expend this when you cast spells or physically exert yourself for prolonged periods of time. HP stands for Hit Points and is equal to your HT score, plus or minus any advantages or disadvantages. The difference between FT and ST, or HP and HT is that your FT and HP scores can vary over gameplay and come back naturally, but your ST and HT don't.

--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:51 pm
Chibi-Czar

Alright. i kinda get the idea.. but just to make it sound.. could you give me an idea of how to spend the XP into the points.. i have a slight idea how i'm to do this, but i'd like to be sure

i'm still writing up my CP and should have it done either tomorrow or on thrusday.

Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:07 pm
Chibi-Czar

(making the rounds, picked it up at Absinthe & Cookies....)
Fifty Rules for Hogwarts students

1. I will not poke Hufflepuffs with spoons, nor will I insist that their House colors indicate that they are "covered in bees".

2. No matter how good a fake Australian accent I can do, I will not imitate Steve Irwin during Care of Magical Creatures class.

3. Growing marijuana or hallucinogenic mushrooms is not "an extra credit project for Herbology".

4. "I've heard every possible joke about Oliver Wood's name" is not a challenge.

5. Putting up Doug Henning posters in Filch's office is not appropriate.

6. I will not go to class skyclad.

7. The Giant Squid is not an appropriate date to the Yule Ball.

8. I will not use Umbridge's quill to write "I told you I was hardcore".

9. I will stop referring to showering as "giving Moaning Myrtle an eyeful".

10. Polishing my wand in the common room is acceptable. "Polishing my wand" in the common room is not.

11. If a classmate falls asleep, I will not take advantage of that fact and draw a Dark Mark on their arm.

12. House elves are not acceptable replacements for Bludgers.

13. Starting a betting pool on the fate of this year's Defence Against Dark Arts teacher is tasteless and tacky, not a clever money-making concept.

14. I will not start every Potions class by asking Professor Snape if
today's project is suitable for use as a sexual lubricant.

15. "Liften Separatis Crotchum" is not a real spell.

16. I will not claim Chick Tracts are an accurate presentation of Muggle life.

17. Seamus Finnegan is not "after me Lucky Charms".

18. I will not refer to the Weasley twins as "bookends".

19. I will not refer to the Patil twins as "bookends".

20. I will not call the Defence Against Dark Arts teacher Kenny, even if he
is wearing an orange anorak.

21. There is no such thing as a were-thylacine.

22. I will not provide Luna Lovegood with Coast-to-Coast AM transcripts.

23. I will not bring a Magic Eight Ball to Divination class.

24. I will not place anything by Silver Ravenwolf on the library shelves.

25. Tricking a school house elf into stripping does not mean that they are
now mine, even if I yell "Pwned!".

26. I am not a sloth Animagus.

27. I am not a tribble Animagus.

28. I am allowed to have a toad, rat, cat, or owl. I am not allowed to have
a reticulated python, snow leopard, Tasmanian devil, or pirahna.

29. I do not weight the same as a duck.

30. Remus Lupin does not want a flea collar.

31. I do not have a Dalek Patronus.

32. I will not lick Trevor.

33. I will stop asking the Arithmancy teacher what the square root of -1 is.

34. The Ravenclaws are not "Mentats in training".

35. Any resemblance between Dementors and Nazgul is coincidental.

36. I will not change the password to the prefects' bath to "Makes getting
clean almost as much fun as getting dirty".

37. There is no such thing as an Invisibility Thong.

38. Professor Flitwick does not wish to be addressed as "Admiral Naismith".

39. Asking "How do you keep a Gryffindor in suspense?" and walking away is
only funny the first time.

40. I will not offer to pose nude for Colin Creevey.

41. I will not offer to pose nude for Dean Thomas.

42. It is a bad idea to tell Professor Snape he takes himself too seriously.

43. It is a bad idea to tell Professor McGonagall she takes herself too
seriously.

44. I am not to Owl copies of the Evil Overlord List to suspected Death Eaters.

45. I will not offer to prepare tandoori owl.

46. I will stop asking when we will learn to make "Love Potion Number Nine".

47. I will not ask Dumbledore to show me the pointy hat trick.

48. I will not teach the first-years to sing "A Wizard's Staff Has A Knob
On The End".

49. If Ginny Weasley wanted to borrow my Darkover books, she would have
said so already.

50. I will not take out a life insurance policy on Harry Potter

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:54 pm
WAR SysOp

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:09 pm
Chibi-Czar

i voted for slytherin but didn't read the posts and relised i have no idea how to play no matter how hard i try :cry: ah well... it will be fun to read when you guys start

Quote:
31. I do not have a Dalek Patronus.

EXTEREMINATE! EXTEERMINATE EXTEEEERMINATE!

Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:38 am
Chibi-Czar

28. I am allowed to have a toad, rat, cat, or owl. I am not allowed to have
a reticulated python, snow leopard, Tasmanian devil, or pirahna.

and here, i wanted a raven. ah well, a cat shall do. indeed.

Quote:
44. I am not to Owl copies of the Evil Overlord List to suspected Death Eaters.

yep, it'd actually make them somewhat more competant.

Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:20 pm
Chibi-Czar

Here is the Basic-set book on Rapidshare: http://rapidshare.de/files/16676800/GUR ... n.pdf.html

And here is the Magic book on Rapidshare: http://rapidshare.de/files/16676954/GUR ... c.rar.html

Those should be the only two you need. Technically, the Basic-set has most of the Magic book in it. Magic simply expands upon it. There's also the Grimore book that expands on the Magic book. The Compendium books have more advantages and disadvantages in them. The only one you'll really need that's not in the Basic set is Extra Fatigue which costs 3-points per level. Because of the point limits I've set, you won't be able to buy more than 6 levels of it though.

--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski

Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:18 pm
Chibi-Czar

Okay, the RapidShares of the books I've posted have each been downloaded several times. There has been ample time to make a character sheet. So I'm just going to start the RPG Sunday, come hell or high water. If you have questions, comments, or need help, you can PM me here, e-mail me (s1l3nt.c0y0t3@gmail.com), or post on the board. If you're almost finished and just need more time, send me what you've got so far.

--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski

Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:32 pm
Chibi-Czar

Sorry.. but i'm not gunna be able to make the RPG.. as much as i want to.. GURPS is just a little to hard for me to understand.

Enjoy, i'll keep an eye and comment when i feel like laughin ^_^

Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:43 pm
Chibi-Czar

Well, looks like it's just me and Tozetre for now. hopefully the other's can join up soon.

Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:15 pm
Chibi-Czar

Sorry.. but i'm not gunna be able to make the RPG.. as much as i want to.. GURPS is just a little to hard for me to understand.

Enjoy, i'll keep an eye and comment when i feel like laughin ^_^

You can still join at a later point. You'll just have to be in a different house, most likely. Or be female. :P

--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski

Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:23 pm
Chibi-Czar

Sun May 06, 2007 10:04 am
Chibi-Czar

I would say... but since its not my RPG... I dunno... but I would like to join in on this!

Sun May 06, 2007 10:48 am
Chibi-Czar

I don't know. RL got in the way last time (seriously, I had three computers stop working on me in the span of one week!) and Tozetre is gone now. However, I still would like to run this. I mean, someone has to cross Neverwhere with Harry Potter.

--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski

Sun May 06, 2007 11:17 pm