It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 pm

DND for crazies 
Moderator of Pain!

Post DND for crazies
Ah Kneverwave, the only reason to look forward to Saturday nights, aside from Alkihol

Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:06 pm
Chibi-Czar

I'm not a DnD nut.. but i know fissy has told me before what kneverwave is.. but i dont remember..

someone refresh my memory... i think its got something to do with gurps.. :?

Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:11 pm
nah nah, we use the Dngeons and Dragons 3.5 rules for the new campaign

Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:46 pm
Moderator of Pain!

who are you, guest? i'm confused and scared!
lol.. well, why not start a kneverwave2 thread here? I play Gregory "Sin" Lionheart. Sin was a rocker in a world very much like our own until a couple days ago. he was touring in Seattle, nearing the end of his second year at the top of the charts, and suddenly woke up in a strange place. there were midgets and people with pointy ears everywhere. assuming it to be a star trek convention, he wandered into a battlefield and met some unusual people. now, armed with his pull-start electric guitar and crystal-diode-powered belt-mounted amp, not to mantion an impressive little automatic named Clarisse that he keeps hidden safely in his leather jacket, hurtled across space and time, he is... the bad-ass bard.

http://spiketheslayer.livejournal.com/

Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:23 am
Moderator of Pain!

Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:24 am
Moderator of Pain!

You've been drinking wayyyy too much, trying to get into character, eh?

Oh, I was the "Guest" of which you speak, I hadn't signed in.

Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:56 pm
The BURNiNATOR!

Location: Main Engineering station of the IPS XionII (hawiian shirt time!)

What are the specific rules for this Kneverwave system? Ie: Stuff that a person interested in DM/GMing a campaign would need to know?

I'm suffering from lack of insparation, and my group is suffering from lack of game. This sounds veeeery promising. ^_^

Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:17 pm
Moderator of Pain!

It's basically the Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 edition rules, with a few house rules thrown in for good measure/comedic importance.

The truth is just to let the dice fall where they may, and to have fun with it. Our DM ( the good Mr. Fiss himself) likes to see his players use "unique" methods to roleplaying.

That's the secret, sorry to spoil it for you :D

Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:45 pm
The BURNiNATOR!

I mean on the characters...there was that bad ass bard--- is it all variations on a theme like that?

Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:47 pm
Moderator of Pain!

Not really, the characters seem to meet under similar circumstances. Like for example, my character is a thief, a very good thief, who steals a book that starts the mess with the Kneverwave coming back. Over the coarse of the first session, she (my character) meets said bad-ass bard, a druid, a centaur and a "Gun-Monk"

Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:04 pm
The BURNiNATOR!

so it's basically emphasis on the roleplaying, and less emphasis on the +5 stick of beating down salsa dancers...am I close?

Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:18 pm
Moderator of Pain!

Yeah, lots of roleplaying and storytelling, with a little bit of combat thrown in for good measure

Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:20 pm
The BURNiNATOR!

Then I guess I've been doing it right all along! My heart sings with joy.

Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:23 pm
Moderator of Pain!

Yeah, a good DM brings imagination to the table and allows his/her players to be imaginative too. In fact, being imaginative is almost a pre-requisite for being in the campaign.

In fact, Mr. Fiss himself said the idea for Kneverwave came from a dream he had. Whether alcohol or bad food was involved is completely coincidental.

Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:27 pm
The BURNiNATOR!

People tell me they enjoy the fact that my campaigns are never too linear...

One day I'll post that list of how to spot a bad DM a mile away. XD Much funness to be had with that one.

I don't know your Kneverwave plot, so I won't comment on the status of Mr. Fiss' unconcious health just yet. ^_^ Although I think we all have come to conclusions with that one.

Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:30 pm
Moderator of Pain!

my own campaign, GURPS 20X6 (where X=5), has been popular despite it being my first attempt at GMing and my general incompetence. the trick i use is, i'm lazy as hell but i have awesome players. so i provide them an environment and let them make their own plot, then when i get inspired i nudge them in the right direction.
its a stark contrast to the last GURPS campaign in our house, in which Tozetre had everything planned with contingencies.. i found pages upon pages of notes when we cleaned the living room.
of course, laissez-faire GMing has its downside.. for instance, you let just two vampires into the party and guaranteed you'll have four by the end of a game-month. accidents happen.
for more on this campaign, consult your local library.. er, my webpage.
i'll update soon, i promise!

Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:33 pm
Moderator of Pain!

hey hey hey, nothing wrong with vampires, just have to know how to play them is all

Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:42 pm
Moderator of Pain!

yes, and its not your vampire who created the other two. in fact both incidents could be easily blamed on the angel. hmm, interesting. austin, rebuttal?

Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:49 pm
Moderator of Pain!

The only time my character fed on a human, he snapped her neck after draining her. At least after he played with his food he was done with her.

Rebuttal time, explody vampire!! Mwahahahahahahahahahaha!

Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:52 pm
WAR SysOp

...don't blame me. I'm just good with paper. :P

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:52 pm
Moderator of Pain!

it strikes me as intensely amusing that although we're together all the time we chose to talk about this here, and also that everyone else on this forum is completely lost.
okay, since i havent written my chronicles of 20x6 far enough, here's the summary.
danielle, the astrally-projecting angel, was drinking with karen, the angsty vampire npc, and in her drunken idiocy offered karen a drink because she was having a damn rough day.
so karen, being of only above-average will, accidentally turned her.
later, when fighting karen's vengeful vampire-hunting daughter, danielle failed a will roll, and i mean critically failed, and turned her as well.
so we went from two created-at-character-creation vampires to having a total of four.
of course we're back down to two now, since karen retired and danielle, um... 'sploded.
as for fiss, well, yeah, he's just good with paper.
scary good.

Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:57 pm
Moderator of Pain!

Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:39 pm
Moderator of Pain!

Among the rules Fiss created for Kneverwave was "retard agility". The idea that you can fail SO badly but get SO lucky, that things work out anyways. Here's the rule:

If the player roles a natural 1, they can choose to role again. If they get a natural 19 or 20, they suceed in some freakish off the wall kind of way. If they roll a natural 2 or 1, they fail extremly badly. In the original Kneverwave, I tired retard agility every time, and due to my chaotic D20, I made the roll about 50% of the time.

The first use of retard agility was when the group was fighting a demon of some sort. Tholin, with his blessed dwarven battleaxe attacked the Demon and crit failed. I rolled again and got a natural 20. The axe missed, hit a rock, bounced up and nutted the demon.

Retard agility was great for me. Until one day when I was rolling a fear check.

You see my character, Tholin, was claustrophobic. The Bard in the party, Senies old character being run by someone of lower than average intelligence instead of her, blew up and took the top of the mountin with her. Tholin was buried alive and had to make a will roll. I crit failed. I tried retard agility. I crit failed. I lost 2 wisdom points.

There are a couple of examples of retard agility.

If you want an off the wall campaign try this rule. It's a blast.

Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:33 pm
Chibi

I am scared what the retard agility roll would do in my PBEM but I think that I will keep it on the back burner of ideas to add for later. Aside from that, IN Spike's GURPS game I play the Exceedingly humble/nice/shy/humble Healing mage, DON'T GET THIS CONFUSED WITH THE "WHITE MAGE" MY CHARACTER IS A GUY, AND NOT GAY! He has a genetically modified cat/human ie CATGIRL that "he bangs on the side so not to be all the way gay." to quote Spike. So far the antics of the vampires has driven him to develop a spell that will stop the chance of turning if a vampire has "tainted" someone, so far his reasearch has proven to be unsuccessful due to the fact that he really has not had time in the day (and who wants to have one of their players say "I study" for every single day?) I try to get more involved in the campaign but due to my work I have been very busy and only arrive for the last hour. Basicly in that last hour I appear, say "who is nearly dead?", heal them, leave again.

"I will rule you all with an IRON FIST.......YOU OBEY THE FIST"
Invader Zim

Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:53 pm
The Bard in the party, Senies old character being run by someone of lower than average intelligence instead of her, blew up and took the top of the mountin with her. .

Blowing up a mountian doesn't sound less than average intelligence what else did this person do. and how do you blow up a mountain

Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:41 am