It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 am

Online WAR RPG: "The Demon's Ring" - Fiss DM'ed, 
WAR SysOp

Post Online WAR RPG: "The Demon's Ring" - Fiss DM'ed,
THE DEMON'S RING
A WAR-Forum Online RPG Adventure

The Eleven Nations of Catena have existed in peace and co-operation for as long as the earliest recorded history in the earliest merchant town. According to such records, tomes and histories, each island is a nation with it's own culture and riches. From the small but harbor-ringed island of Jateus, to the wide, open cattle plains of the largest island Vill, all kinds of people live and come to the islands when they seek peace, prosperity and a purpose in their lives.

At least, that is what the old books say.

Upon the turn of the millennium, a twist of fate brought an unexpected, and widely unwanted guest to the chain of islands. A Gentleman by the name of Tharsis came traveled from island to island, apparently appearing out of thin air. Even though he seemed moneyless he was treated with kindness, respect, and enjoyed the Eleven Nations hospitality. Leaving the final inn on Jateus, he scribbled down a prophetic note to give to the harbormaster. It said that travel between the islands via the shortest route would soon be blocked, and to make plans for such. Because the islands formed a rough circle measuring miles upon miles across, the note was disregarded as nonsense.

Until Tharsis came back six months later.

Instead of traveling to each town and inn, his purpose was clear in intent to speak to the rulers of each nation. He traveled to the great halls, visited kings, and merchant guild leaders and all manner of people who were responsible for the land. When he had left each venue, his audience was always dumbstruck but shaking in fear.

Sure enough, a small, black rock appeared in the exact middle of the Eleven Nations water. It began to grow and grow until it rivaled the great land of Vill in physical size. It's top spewed forth raw lava from the Earth, but it grew and cooled with unnatural haste. Soon, it became shaped as a tall, foreboding mountain.

Before anyone could explore or make discoveries of the new mountain, not that any of the nations leaders were speaking about it publicly, a huge storm of mist enveloped the middle island and kept it away from the eyes of all in the Eleven Nations.

Finally, nearly a year later, as ships and ships of explorers had been lost to the never-fading mist, Tharsis appeared again in the harbor town and explained his actions. To this day, his every word has been recorded to the letter and never forgotten.

"People of the Eleven Nations, you have shown me kindness like I have never known. Sights that even my old eyes have ached to return to. And hospitality to make the most spoiled child weep with gratitude! Do not find folly in your own actions, that one from the depths of Hell has now come to you, for your kindness is not the target for some otherworldly evil. I will freely share your domain with you, but on these following conditions. No boats or people are to enter the mist, for it is an evil thing that I require to sustain me, and my new home is to be private from the eyes of Heaven, Hell and yourselves. I require a supply of things which I will relay to your Kings and your Merchant Guilds, and in return for such, I will give you prosperity and safety. I wish to live peacefully now, as war has tired me with it's repetition. But I will take up my sword again if any defy my requests. Leave me be, and you will live well. Give me what I need, and you will get back twice in worth the services I provide. And, when you talk about my home, you will refer to it as the Demon's Ring, and call it a forbidden land to all who inquire."

An uneasy whisper among the Nations rose up when the old man drove his boat back through the mist. While some were skeptical, soon, commands from the Kings showed that they were convinced. Every year, a small fortune in livestock, gold, silver, and other treasures was to be sent into the mist. Every year, a virgin woman was to be sent with the lead boat to be sacrificed. And Every year, the Eleven Nations could request one great boon from the Demon Tharsis, to be spoken by the Virgin herself.

This state of affairs started uneasily, especially when it came to the virgin sacrifice. One of the Kings bravely sent his own daughter as the first, and requested that the storms that came in Winter would not harm anyone on the islands.

Faith in the bargain became apparent when, while the winter storms did hit the islands, nobody died or got sick or lost their homes...the first year of such a miracle in recorded history.

Years later, when the islands were attacked by a band of pirates, there came a great screeching in the middle of the first night. Red, evil eyes flew out of the mist and attacked the pirates in numbers unknown. The pirates ships were found completely empty of life in the morning...though their booty was still there and was claimed by the Eleven Nations.

Decades have now passed. While some are still uneasy with the yearly rituals to feed the desires of the Demon Tharsis, life is good, businesses and families prosper, and despite the occasional priest or paladin rampaging into the mist (never to be heard from again), things are quiet. A ring of peaceful islands, lorded over by a greedy...but protecting...force.

You were born on the day of Yearly Sacrifice.

It is now nearly seventeen years later.

As you look out of your window into the far-off mist, you swear that it seems lighter than yesterday. And the day before that. Almost as if the mist is slowly fading. It is now one week before the Yearly Sacrifice and your Birthday and some are wondering what this means to you and your future. Is the Demon still alive? Is the bargain about to change? Did someone enter the mist and do something to it? This change...the first since the mist first came...and it's proximity to the Yearly Sacrifice can't be a coincidence, can it? Or is this all simply an omen of strange things to come for you and the other orphens?

Everyone is asking the same questions, but nobody has any answers.

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Last edited by Christopher Fiss on Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:59 pm
WAR SysOp

Engine: D20 3.5, Dungeons and Dragons Core
House Rules:
-"Retard Agility" When you Crit-Fail a roll (1 on a d20) you can declare to the DM you wish to try and Retard Agility your fail. If you roll a 19 or 20, your character does a cinematic "Oops, I won!" action, like slipping on a banana peel and killing the monster. However, if you roll a 1 or 2, you instantly fail, and the results are cataclysmically bad...ie, stat loss or horrendous failure. If you choose not to "Retard Agility" your Crit, you simply fail...no horrible loss, but still a loss.
-Skill Rolls may be subject to Crits if the situation allows.
-Taking 10, or 20 on a skill is limited by the situation and DM's digression.
-To make it easier to roll-play if we get a massive amount of people talking at once, I may request you roll Social Initiative, most likely your Init roll with a Cha modifier instead of your Dex mod.

Dice Roller: If you do not have the appropriate dice IRL, you may use either the Irony Games Server roller that we use for GURPS, or the official Wizards of the Cost D&D Roller. Keep in mind that any cheating not only bans you from the game, but from ALL future games. We're all above-average-peoples, here, right? Please play honorably.
http://www.irony.com/igroll.html
or
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm

Starting Package / Limitations / Notes
-Character Generation via 4d6, drop the Lowest
-Each player may start as a Standard Class (or any combination) Level 4. Unless you have a VERY good back-history, you cannot start as an advanced or prestige class. You may Multiclass to your heart's content, but observe all XP penalties if your race does not have a favored Class.
-Races to choose from: Human, Half-Elf, Halfling, Gnome or Dwarf. Half-Orc if your character history allows it. NO DEMONS/CELESTIALS :D
-Starting Gold: 1000, buy what you need with it.
-Starting bonus skills: Navigate (sea) +2, Swim +2 (because you grew up or have lived near these islands for a good portion of your life at least)
-Alignment: Any, but the general alignment of the area is Non-Evil
-Other: No Psionics, no Underdark, no Planes

Style: This game will be MOSTLY story, but I do plan on having some nice, epic combat sequences. Make sure you are not so weak as to explode upon the first Kobold. :)

Base Story: You were born on the day of Yearly Sacrifice, halfway through the Summer. Your parents are long dead, and there is some mystery and rumor that the date and their deaths are related somehow. The world to you is Eleven island-nations, but Home is the large, farming and agricultural land of Vill. It is ruled by Old King Gukert who is known for his charity with children, and because of your unfortunate childhood, you have been placed in the Royal Orphanage until your birthday this year. The king has been generous and you have been allowed to study, pray or train in any form you wish, even going so far as to bring experts in from the Eleven Nations to assist when the vast library of Vill cannot. While lonely at times, you have always had the King as a father-figure, and the (other PC's) other orphans of your age to keep you company. The King hopes you will stay as Palace Staff to help train, and maybe even enter his court as advisors or something more...but knows that youth is restless and will accept whatever you wish to do in the weeks to come.

To Join: Please announce your intent to Join and e-mail me your character sheet (text is fine, but if you have a Generator, let me know so I can install it and view the file as well) with a short story about your character. Make sure to include what he or she thinks about
-their station in life
-their upcoming freedom and future
-and any flaws/quirks you feel you want to play. I will require at least 1 quirk per character, so make sure it's something fun that you WANT to give your character to spice things up. Examples: Slurred speech, Kleptomania, Scars, Lazy Eyes, Never Shuts Up, Only Eats Lobster....etc. You can make it as major or minor as you want...it's simply for roll playing purposes, but it CAN affect the game, especially if it's something like kleptomania.

EMAIL: strikef@telus.net

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:08 pm
WAR SysOp

-Uther (Tozetre) - Dwarven Thief
-Stabby McStabbsalot (S.C.) - Human Bard
-Kanus Rufus (Daemon) - Human Ranger
-Larkspur McShrub (Decebalus) - Gnomish Bard

Alright, looks like we have an excellent group forming here. Bards and non-meat-shield combat-capables are exactly what I was hoping for. ^_^ You guys will do well together.

Monday night, I should have the opening scene crafted for your enjoyment, and we can be off! Toze, can you please re-send your sheet to me via e-mail? Didn't come through, but the PM of your character was excellent for background.

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:28 pm
Just a quicky question. though if i can't i'll play human, but traditionally I run a gnoll charcter. would it be possible to use that race?

Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:18 am
WAR SysOp

A gnoll might be possible....you'd have to give me a good backstory/concept before I even looked at it, though. ^_^

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:33 am
Chibi-Czar

Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:56 am
Chibi

Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:40 am
WAR SysOp

I can have an opening ready for 1 or 2 people in a few days worth of posts, but we'll have to see. Having too many people slows the game down emensly over a forum.

Give me a character idea, and I'll see what I can do. PM me the details.

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:24 pm
sorry, can't join anymore. stuff goin on at home, so my computer time is very limited (the bronchitus over march break didn't hgelp either)

Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:41 pm
Chibi-Czar

I'm having problems handleing the GURPS HP RPG.. if i find it too difficult, might i take up the opening seat?.. i'm damn good with AD&D and remember a lot, charactre generation would take me no more then by monday,friday the earleist

Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:28 am
Chibi-Czar

uhh, i think this is sorta dead. the last reply by fiss was a year prior.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:04 am
WAR SysOp

Yeah, this kinda died after a few tempers flared up elsewhere on the board...not that I blame anyone for needing to get away from that kinda stuff.

I'd be willing to give the D&D stuff another try. GURPS is nice, but Senie and I haven't had any time to do character generation. Damn real life. :(

Also, the advantage with D&D over GURPS is open-source/free resources.

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:05 am
Chibi-Czar

Ah.. well i guess i'm a little behind in the times..

Well, if you deside to get the whole thing going again.. please let me know.. i'm always game for a D&D adventure

Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:53 am