It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 am

GAME: US Support of Gondor 
Chibi-Czar

Post GAME: US Support of Gondor
I think this goes better here than Creative Writing.

This is a kind of text game, and here's how we play...
-----------------------------------------------
You are now the Joint commander of the U.S.'s aid to Gondor.

(I suggest, those of you who have The Atlas Of Middle Earth, get it out and turn to page 52)

You are deposited on the island seen on the map, two-thousand miles due west of the mouth of the River Angren (R. Isen) This island is moderately mountainous, and is 100 miles long N to S, and 50 miles wide E to W, and is slightly bean shaped.

ROB has placed staging facilities on this Island, and has tasked you with the following mission.

"Complete and total neutralization of the forces of Darkness within eighteen months. In all of Middle Earth."

The island is self sufficient, and will provide all the fuel, food, and ammunition for your task force.

The task force itself consists of: (All vehicles come fully crewed.)

Quote:

NAVY
- 1 Nimitz Class Aircraft Carrier, with a full modern Airwing.
- 1 Wasp Class Amphibious Assault Ship with LCAC onboard.
- 2 Ticos... (Tichonderoga Class Cruisers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ticonderoga_class_cruiser )
- 2 Arleigh Burke class destroyers ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arleigh...lass_destroyer )
- 1 Seawolf Class Attack Submarine
- The USNS Arctic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USNS_Arctic_%28T-AOE-8%29 )

AIRFORCE

Asside from your Naval Air Wing, you have the following.

- 1 AC-130 Spectre Gunship
- 1 B-52H StratoFortress
- 1 B-1B Lancer

- 1 E3 Sentry AWACS (E-767)
- 2 KC-10 Stratotankers

- 4 F-16s
- 4 A-10 Thunderbolt IIs.

ARMY

Your ground forces include the following.

- 1 Unit consisting of 4 AH-64D Apache Longbow Helicopters
- 1 Air Assault Unit with Six UH-60 Blackhawks, unarmed.
- 1 Armored Cavalry Unit with 10 M1A1 Abrams MBTs, 5 Bradley Fighting Vehicles, and fifteen Humvees.
- 4 Support units, which will consist of your communications team, logistics team, medical team, and engineering team all rolled into one. 2 Deuce-1/2s per team, with one CH-47 Chinook for all four.

- 2 Battalions of Infantry, common combat mix.

- 2 Artillery Units using 2 M-198 Howitzers apiece. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M198_howitzer )

- 1 Special Forces unit with their own UH-60 Blackhawk.

You have the following conditions:

Quote:

- Nukes are forbiddon, and it is your duty to prevent casualties of the innocents.

- You are a third party operation, and will not have initial support from ANYONE in Middle Earth. You must earn your trust.

- You do not have satellite support. Rendering SATCOM systems and GPS useless.

- You must maintain Logistics and Supply Lines realisticly and take them into consideration during your operations.

- You cannot manufacture lost vehicular assets. Your island has the ability to manufacture supplies, but not the industrial power needed for the larger equipment.

- You must clear and capture All of Middle Earth as seen on the map within the following four points.

a: Southwest point: Tolfalos Island.
b: Southeast Point: Sea of Nurnen (In mordor)
c: Northwest point: Tol Fuin (Island west of Forlindon)
d: Northeast point: The Iron Hills (Straight East of Lonely Mountain.)

- You must then hold this area until the eighteen months are up.

- The Ring is lost, but not destroyed. However the events that occure during LoTRs will occure as they would other than the fellowship not moving. Including the buildup of the Morgul Host and its march on Mordor in a few months time. The Ents will be motivated by some other act of ROB at the correct times.

- Your current Intelligence data as of the start of your mission is the detail maps from the Atlas of Middle Earth... however the data and event articles have been removed.

- Chemical and biological Warfare is also forbiddon.

Each player post will be an operation. Operations will follow theformat of OPERATION NAME, followed by Objective of operation, and a summary of your action.
We will then discuss it a little before moving onto the next operation.

Begin, we have eighteen months to free Middle Earth of Mordor and the forces of darkness.

Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:11 am
Chibi-Czar

[Not playing yet, but I had a couple of questions:

A) You mentioned a Wasp class LHD? Does that include the Marine Expeditionary Unit normally embarked on an LHD? And is the MEU included in the troop totals, or is that Battalion Landing Team. MEU Service Support Element, and Composite Squadron over-and-above the assets you listed?

B) Mech Infantry? or Motorized Light Infantry?

C) Need a mapref linkage to Middle Earth...

"Tough times don't last. Tough people do."

"You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it."

Token Reactionary S.O.B.

Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:28 am
Chibi-Czar

[Not playing yet, but I had a couple of questions:

A) You mentioned a Wasp class LHD? Does that include the Marine Expeditionary Unit normally embarked on an LHD? And is the MEU included in the troop totals, or is that Battalion Landing Team. MEU Service Support Element, and Composite Squadron over-and-above the assets you listed?

B) Mech Infantry? or Motorized Light Infantry?

C) Need a mapref linkage to Middle Earth...

A: Sure.

B: I've never really looked into the difference. I'm thinking of infantry that tend to be on foot or in Humvees.

C: Google is your god and mine. http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q ... +earth+map

Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:04 am
Chibi-Czar

Lookin' at the map, don't see anything west of the Isen. I see one in Belfalas Bay, and one north of Forlindon...

From here, can you name it?

Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:40 pm
Chibi-Czar

None of the available online maps show the island I IDed. See, even your map doesn't extend far enough west. My Atlas of Middle Earth has this on a two page spread, and this island is on the far left side of the left page... well off any map you'll find easily.

The map scale is five-hundred miles for every two inches. And the island is ~8 inches west of Isen's mouth *Give or take the pade divide*.

The island is in the 'Bent Seas' roughly 1500 miles northwest of Meneltarma, the summit that just barely sticks above the water of the sunken former land Numenor.

Run to a good book store and pick this up for about 20 USD.

The Atlas of Middle Earth
Revised Edition
by Karen Wynn Fonstad

Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:17 pm
Chibi-Czar

Dude, I'm pretty sure that island is "The West" to which the Elves returned at the end of ROTK. In any case, it's kinda too dang far from Middle Earth to do any good except as a very rear base. Pick a spot in Middle Earth proper to start from.

Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:14 pm
Chibi-Czar

Seeing as that island is about 200 miles from, THE WEST, the CONTINENT, you would do good to go buy that book.

Now quit whining about HOME BASE being so friggin' far away. That's part of the overall challenge of the 'mission'. I didn't include a resupply ship and KC-10 Stratotankers because I thought they looked cool.

The Island is your supply home, your land based airfield, your home naval port.

You've got the gear, build a damn forward base of operations.

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:28 pm
Chibi-Czar

A) I'm not going to go BUY a book on fapping about Middle Earth geography just to do this. I managed to guess, from a thin description, within 10% of where it was; I believe I can manage without an atlas. Besides, without data, an atlas is a map. :P We got those already, and I've read the Silmarillion, which will give me enough of an unfair advantage. Mwa ha ha. Then again, I may get xmas money, and I do like books...

B) Last question from me; does losing "data and events" include losing information on cities, fortresses, where the good guys' and bad guys' strongholds are, and especially the diplomatic/military stances of the regional governments?

PS:
Wiki wrote:
Mechanized infantry are infantry equipped with armored personnel carriers (APCs), or infantry fighting vehicles (IFVs) for transport and combat (see also mechanized force). They are distinguished from motorized infantry in that their vehicles provide a degree of protection from hostile fire, as opposed to "soft-skinned" trucks or jeeps.

The distinction is kinda blurry now, since Canadians in Afghanistan are running around in retrofitted armoured Silverados... I assume you meant motorized light and not mechanized.

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:53 pm
Chibi-Czar

A: If you're a big fan of the series, or even a moderate fan, it's a good read.

B: Losing data means information you would have available if you say, read the books. For example, the Atlas includes details on different battles and how they went, as well as analysis of topographical features of an area.

All you have to start with is the maps from the book itself and how they are labeled.

To be precise... you have the following maps.

- Middle Earth Spread: Page 52, 53.
- Regional map: Eriador: Page 74, 75.
- Regional map: Wilderland: 76, 77
- Misty Mountains: 80, 81.
- Brown Lands, Wold, Downs, and Emyn Muil: Page 85.
- White Mountains (Gondor): Page 88, 89.
- Mordor: 92, 93 including inset.

About all you know, is that Orcs are bad, and people in the southeast aren't much better. And you are given a clue that there are a couple of not-so-friendlies hunkered down across the map.

C: Motorized Light.

Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:17 pm
Chibi-Czar

Right. So there's, what, two people interested in this? Anymore? Are we assigned commands?

(pity; if I _knew_ the orcs didn't have a sea navy, I'd run up and bottle them up in the Bay of Belfalas. As it stands, it looks like island depots is going to be the way to go, at least until we get to Forlindon...)

Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:27 pm
Chibi-Czar

Well, I'm trying the same thing over at spacebattles.
Much more activity there...

And I've already conducted Operation Angel Eye over there...
http://forum.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=111684

Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:31 pm
Chibi-Czar

(This'd be easier if you posted online maps of what we've got access to instead of just telling us over and over to buy the book, you know...)

OPERATION FULL BELLIES

objective: secure a forward base and depot for future actions. Since I've got no super-map, I'm going to assume the most useful base is on the land mass just off Forlindon- feel free to correct this assumption. Now, I've got no clue as to the enemies' capabilities, so let's start with my carrier, a Tico, a Burke, and my Seawolf. The other Tico and Burke are going to protect my Arctic, since it's pretty essential. I want my land forces in a state of readiness, give them a 24-hour period to embark at any time. Here's how I'll run it.

1) The Arctic's going to load up and support the carrier and cruisers. I'm not going to run my Wasp out, since leaving troops on a boat is going to screw with their state of readiness. The carrier uses a calm looey and a skiff to make contact with the natives. I mean a calm looey. I don't need him freaking out if they eat brains or something. Avoid an incident as much as possible- but let's not risk any command staff this early, yeah?

2) If they're friendly, the Arctic starts a depot, hustles back, and carries an expeditionary force (all my support units, for the depot, a battalion of infantry, my air assault unit, and the Wasp avec marines). They secure the forward base while the carrier's air force checks out the locals.

3) If the locals aren't friendly, mobilize the Wasp, the air assault, and the longbows. Play some Wagner, get an early start on levelling ground for my airbase.

I do believe that covers my back, my front, and my belly.

Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:13 pm
Chibi-Czar

Shit. Just finished my first day at State - I'm not going to be able to give it the time that the campaign would deserve, not to mention that I've been away from it too long. I'm not gonna have the fingerspitzengefuhl you need to be a good component commander, let alone run a campaign. I've still got some of the 80s - era Amphibious Warfare School Nonresident Course texts, so I can give technical advice here and there, but I'm not up for a campaign - not and do it right.

Sorry.

Looks like it'd be fun.

"You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it."

Token Reactionary S.O.B.

Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:27 pm
Chibi-Czar

Hell, dude, knowing anything means you know more than me. All I can supply is balls, clever historical tactics, and a neverending supply of self-confidence. I'm pretty sure the orcs will only fall for the Parthian shot three or four times...

Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:41 pm
Chibi-Czar

I take a slightly different approach VIA: OPERATION ANGEL EYE.

OPERATION: ANGEL EYE

OBJECTIVES: Establish Forward Naval Position and gather initial reconasance data in preperation for the selection of a landing point.

Deploying at this time, the naval task force from dubbed "Westreach Island". Sail East until sixty miles off the coast of Middle Earth.

At this point, the Nimitz will begin aireal recon missions along the western coastline, looking for a good spot. While still parked off the mouth of Isen, a flight of F-18s will be sent inwards to take photos of Isengard, Helm's Deep, Edoras, Fords of Isen, and anything of interest. A second two-hornet flight will be sent south to the Cape of Andrast, and make photorecon runs along southern gondor as far east as Edhellond. No ordinance will be carried on the recon flights, in favor of fuel drop tanks.

(Note I'm estimating the area of effect radius that can be projected by the carrier aircraft as 500 miles. Which puts them as far east as the eastern edge of Fanghorn Forest.)

The Seawolf will detach and move north, getting periscope photos of Grey Havens before heading south, stopping to drop off said photos before heading down to Umbar to get Periscope Photos of 'City of Corsairs.'

The carrier task force will move northwards after initial hornet recon runs, parking west of Eryn Vorn, where aireal recon will commense north over the Tower Hills, and east over Suza (the shire) as far as the Old Forest. Second flight will overfly Tharbad.

Collected information will be relayed back to command for the decision on landing point.

Items of consideration.

- Good location for initial deployment and easy supply of beach HQ.
- Good location for constructing the forward Air Base for the KC-10s and AC-130.
- Locations that will later be suitable for a field HQ.

---------------------

(We uncovered the following.)

- Flight One up the Isen discovered Isenguard to be heavily fortified, and appeared, to intel in CIC, to be in the later stages of a para-military medevil industrial buildup. Because of the altitude safety margin for flying over that location (I'd rather not let any lucky shots from something mideavil bring a hornet down, it would be both an embarrassment and a major blow.), the number of possible troops could not be identified, but the possibilities estimated upwards of ten thousand. Deforestation activity was IDed from smoke coming off Fanghorn.
An unidentified cavalry force was seen riding northeast and was given a low pass before the flight turned south to Edoras, where they discovered it to look mildly dilapidated and unprepared for any offensive. Helms Deep was hard to photograph due to inclement cloud conditions in the mountains.

- Flight Two Observed coastline conditions from the cape of Andrast eastwards, going supersonic over the green hills, and dropping back as they approached Edhellond. Recon photos showed villaiges to also be in mild states of unpreparedness and/or dillapidation... as if abandoning.

- Seawolf detatched early and sailed north. The Grey Havens seemed to have excessive departure activity, mostly wooden passenger ships. Very little Naval power was identified.
Umbar seemed to have excessive military Naval Activity... The port in the City of Corsairs was heavily developed and looked to be preparing to mount a sea-invasion. It would be prudent to send Seawolf back to sink the fleet and knock out the pier.

Recon Flights over Suza showed little activity of importance... A pocket of unusual activity was noted fifteen miles northwest of 'Green-Hill Country', a series of East-west hills with moderate forestation. It looked to be a smokestack. No reports of unusual activity at Tharbad.

- Coastal assessment shows just about anywhere is decent for landing except for the increased mountainous areas near Cape of Andrast. There are ruins located at the mouth of the river Greyflood, roughly 120 miles north of the mouth of the river Isen. Possibility for easier fortification construction for field HQ at this location.

Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:49 pm
Chibi-Czar

{All right, if you want to take Task Force Commander, Toze, I'll try playing Battle Staff}

"The Task Force overall objectives are:
A) Make contact with friendly indigenous forces on the Middle Earth continent
B) Form alliance with these friendly indigenous forces offering them military and civil assistance commensurate with the Task Force's available assets
C) Defeat opposing indigenous forces, denying them their apparent objective of domination of the Middle Earth continent; and
D) Destroy opposing indigenous forces, rendering them incapable of interfering with the friendly indegenous government (OOC: Aragorn) and its efforts to restore civil rule.

"Intelligence: Initial intelligence is sketchy. We have no diplomatic sources in place to facilitate our meeting with friendly authorities. Similarly, we have no HumInt or TechInt assets in place to assess the situation on the ground, and SigInt efforts appear to be, at best, of questionable value. At present, we are limited to aerial reconnaissance from the Carrier Air Wing, maritime reconnaissance from the Seawolf, and ground reconnaissance from the Special Forces A-Team and Recon Platoon attached to the MEU. What little is known suggests pre-industrial military capabilities, i.e., wind- and oar- powered naval forces, no air capability in our common understanding, and horse cavalry, foot infantry, and non-gunpowder artillery armed with polearms, swords, bows, and ballistae, and the like. However, we have indications of extra-normal capabilities, including... what might as well be referred to as sorcery, or magic. We have no capability of a similar nature.

"The TF Commander has tentatively proposed an operation, called Operation FULL BELLIES, intended to gain a beachhead on the Middle Earth continent for future operations, and from which to make initial contact with indigenous forces. Our intended area of operations is Forlindon. The following concept of operations is recommended:
1) The full naval task force, with MEU embarked, should set sail towards the area of operation.
2) We should begin immediate aerial reconnaissance and maritime surveillance of the area of operation and surrounding areas of interest to identify beaches potentially suitable for amphibious landing that are far enough away from local concentrations to prevent their reacting effectively to our operations yet close enough for our forces to reach out.
3) Upon identifying potential landing sites, the MEU's attached Recon teams should begin hydrographic reconnaissance of the approaches and area immediately inland to verify suitability (OOC: the historical precedent for bad beach recon is Betio Island, at Tarawa atoll - let's not do that twice, right?)
4) Simultaneously, the SF A-Team should insert inland with the objective of ascertaining the character of local forces. If friendly, they should attempt to make contact; if hostile, they should avoid contact, observe, and pass intel to the task force (OOC: If we grant a Middle Earth existing along with the US, then SF should have recruited operators who speak the language, and regular SF A-Teams specialize in getting on good terms with the local friendlies)
5) The MEU commander should have one company of Marines prepared as a quick reaction force (heliborne), with the Whiskey-Cobra and Harrier detachments ready as covering CAP should the SF require emergency extraction.
6) If determined to be suitable for landing, the MEU should land, establish a perimeter, and begin work on our forward operating base, while additional assets are ferried over.
7) Continual updating of operational planning, and dissemination of information to subordinate component commanders will be critical, as the mission will be driven by what intelligence we uncover

"Respectfully Submitted,

J-3 Operations"

{EDIT to add: "It is respectfully recommended that under NO circumstances should an attempt be made to establish a Forward Operating Base without robust security and a credible combat force capable of at least limited offensive operations. (OOC: the other historical precedent of mismanaged landings that comes to mind is Gallipoli - poor choice of site, too close to the Turks' forces, ANZAC forces committed piecemeal, and so on...)

Token Reactionary S.O.B.

Last edited by Michael J Doyle on Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:47 pm
Chibi-Czar

Since I'm ex-army, I guess I'm playing as Ground Force commander.

But at the same time, I like directing the Naval Air-Wing and the Army Helicopter and airforce A-10s.

So I guess what I'll do, is act as the Joint-Air-Wing commander. I take orders directly from the JTF and the Battle-staff.

EDIT: Are we going to assume Operation Angel Eye has happened and did so before Toze got into the swing of things?

Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:56 pm
Chibi-Czar

(Guess that works. The TF Commander and the Component Commanders come up with the ideas, and the Staff figures out how.

Go ahead and restate what recce comes up with, and I'll check back in tomorrow night.)

Token Reactionary S.O.B.

Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:02 pm
Chibi-Czar

(Guess that works. The TF Commander and the Component Commanders come up with the ideas, and the Staff figures out how.

Go ahead and restate what recce comes up with, and I'll check back in tomorrow night.)

Okay, I'll act as the combined Air Wing commander... which means I tell everyone who flies what to do.

Anywho, OP Angel Eye still uncovered as follows, but I'll send out some Airial Recon over Forlindon.

Detailed Airial Recon report.

Forlindon appears to be mostly coastal flatland, with a gentle slope and few hills. Just about anywhere is a suitable landing point. Vegetation throughout consists of mostly scattered woodlands. The prevailing winds are out of the west, and the sea current is warm. The climate is mild, and humid.

Recon photos around the mouth of the river at Forland show some minor developement. However, no activity was seen.

Further recon was provided by helicopter. Evidence of recent activity was seen. Possible conclusion is that the local population is Elvish, heard us coming in long before we were in sight, and dissappeared.

I would suggest an area south west of Forlond out on the penensula jutting into the Gulf of Lune. It will be defensible, easy for direct shipping to reach, and not intrude too directly into the Elves' territory.

End of Recon Statement.

Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:32 pm
Chibi-Czar

Suitable as the peninsula may be, I would prefer the island as a forward base, especially a forward air base, for the same reason the Americans wanted Britain free of invasion in WWII: it becomes a stationary carrier, separated from the mainland by a moat and exposing any force to both naval and air attacks before it reaches land. While contact with friendly natives is of the utmost importance, landing a military force on their doorstep may backfire, no matter how well-intentioned.

Negative on strikes against Isengard and Umbar until we can ID the teams in play. I don't want to knock out friendlies in the first round, and we can always carpet-bomb massed forces later. On the other hand, once we ID them I don't want to give them the chance to run. Velvet glove, iron fist, and keep out of the way of pissy warlords.

OPERATION WATCHFUL EYE

With a base- or at least a depot- established, we have two primary concerns and one secondary, all of them based around intel.

1. We need to make contact with friendlies. To that end, I want my SF to make contact with possible indigenous forces in or around Forland. I need intel, not body counts; avoid conflict, make peaceful contact if necessary. Make sure they've got "gifts" to lubricate first contact; foodstuffs, a couple of sidearms to demonstrate our capacity to help militarily. Report back any vital intel at once, any useful intel at earliest convenience.

2. I want to know who owns the army at Isengard and who owns the navy at Umbar.
a) Seawolf to resupply at forward base Adam and proceed with all haste to Umbar bay, proceed to cautious observation. Surface only at night, get as many images as close as possible of the crews, ships, and of command staff if available. Report any sortie to Tico and Burke, stationed northwest, well out of the way of any trade routes.
b) I want the carrier outside of Angren with the other Burke, and I want heavy air cover over Isengard; they know we're here, I want to know who knows it. Keep high in the day, but at night see if you can't get some more detail; unless they can see in the dark we'll have an easier time getting closer. The Tico and Burke will stagger resupply time; I want one on station at all times.

a) The only, and I mean only thing capable of beating our forces is lack of supplies. Arctic with the last Tico will be filling that depot as fast as it can load, get back, and unload. I want 6 months of supplies, plus an airfield capable of lifting our Stratofortess, in one month.
b) The only other thing that can even threaten us is a naval force catching us by surprise; if that fleet at Umbar sails, I want to know about it, and I want my cruisers to know about it, immediately. Seawolf to dog the fleet and report positions, carriers to keep ahead and prepare to strike at my command.

To protect our rear I want the F-16s stationed at Home Base doing long-range air patrol, until we get an airfield at Adam, and I want those Longbows protecting forward Base Adam. I also want the Armoured Cav at Adam on the next boat over, and until we find some ass to kick, I want them, the marines, and the infantry battalion we brought to train together with the Longbows in mixed-force exercises, especially in the mountains, which there are too many of for my taste in this neck of the woods. I'd happily detach some F-18s to handle patrols, but there's no airstrip yet. What the hell are my support teams playing at?

Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:27 pm
Chibi-Czar

1: I would suggest an obvious helicopter insertion at a key location. Delivery of gifts, and immediate departure. If they ARE elves, we won't find them if they don't want us too. I suggest a nice writup of our intent and when we will return. If they want to talk, they'll be there. I also suggest we perform at least one supersonic flyover at high altitude, and have that clearly marked. We want to advertise that we are fully capable of what we are doing, and appear non-hostile to them.

2b: I'll sortie F-18 flyovers of Isenguard and CAPs of that local area twice daily unless you say otherwise. Any more and we could risk fuel supply bottlenecks until the supply lines are established.

3a: Once we have that airstrip, I can have the AC-130 stripped and doing cargo runs as needed. I could also modify at least one of our KC-10s for the task in about a week. This would increase room on the Arctic for heavier supplies, such as fuel, or heavy ordinance.

3b: I'll put an E-2 on nightly patrols to the south and east. If anything with combat capacity moves, we'll know.

As for establishing Supply Base Adam... I'm ready to Sortie F-18s on your command. Pick a suitable spot, and we'll drop a dense group of Fuel Air Explosives to clear the land in a hurry. Since you want to go for the island, we shouldn't have to worry about catching the locals in the blast. I'll even toss in a nice low, LOUD initial pass of the target area if you're concerned with any wildlife. A low speed approach with an afterburn rush should do it.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:49 am
WAR SysOp

Just a heads up: I've moved this to Creative Works.

ATC: this is an excellent thread, but it doesn't have anything to do with Trial By Fire. Please note that "Trial By Fire" does, in no way, indicate the military version of that phrase. 8)

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:46 am
Chibi-Czar

Supply teams have final say in what's done to prepare the island, keeping in mind they've got one (1) month to get the whole shebang finished. I assume they'd prefer an easy start, and it's not like we're short on munitions. Then again, if we can use the local wood to build some temporary shelters to speed things up, let's use that. Like I said, supply groups have the final say.

What's an E-2? Unless it's the Seawolf, it's not underwater, and therefore it's visible. I don't want to be visible to a sea navy, I want data. The land forces at Isengard I can accept noticing us, but not the navy.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:19 am
Chibi-Czar

E-2C Hawkeye AWACS. Prop Driven, carrier based aircraft. Nobody's going to see it because it can see everyone from 400 miles away. Or at least, any ships.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:56 pm
Chibi-Czar

Oh, AWACS. Yeah, that'll do dandy- I want it watching Isengard, then. Seawolf on the fleet where it does what it was built to do.

I'm down with SF insertion at a "key point," as long as we know, say, that we're not violating any taboos. Since we've no idea what those taboos are, let's insert SF at the last known location of activity and have them track in.

So. What's my naval and air recon got to say, and how prepped are my land forces for a sortie if necessary?

and where's my airfield?

Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:11 pm