It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 am

RPG Bookshelf 
Knight

Post RPG Bookshelf
So, I'm looking to expand my collection of sourcebooks, and figured I'd ask for suggestions. Currently, I have
(all for DnD)
-the DMG
-Spell Compendium
-Expanded Psionics Handbook
-Complete Psionic
-Eberron Campaign Setting
-Mage: The Ascension, Second Ed (from White Wolf)
-Call of Cthulhu

The only reason I don't have the PHB for DnD is because I generally use the SRD from sovelior_sage or the Hypertext d20 SRD. And the prevalance of DnD itself is from the fact that I'm currently in two campaigns in the Eberron setting.

So, feel free to give me your suggestions. Any other system I should definately check out as it would be a crime against humanity if I neglected to do so? (I'm going to guess someone is going to yell "GURPS!", and so I say, "Okay, what should I get to start out?")

Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:43 pm
WAR SysOp

The "Weapons of Legacy" book is really nice for generating unique and powerful artifacts, and "Manual of the Planes" gives a lot of awesome ideas for twisting your world around.

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:01 pm
Moderator of Pain!

The pairing of "The Book of Exalted Deeds" and the "Book of Vile Darkness" can add great power to both DM and the PC's

Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:28 pm
Chibi-Czar

deities and demigods" and "oriental adventures" are both books I find useful. also, i like the "AaEG"

my current bookshelf includes most of the class specific books for dnd. d20 modern. *bleh*Rifts*bleh*. the manual of planes, the dmg, the players handbooks, the complete warrior, ect, ect.

Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:47 am
Chibi-Czar

Post Re: RPG Bookshelf
GURPS. 4E.
The Characters book has enough to get rolling. The Campaigns book has more extended rules. The Magic book has, uh... yeah. Powers is also good, but high-test and kinda mathy. Martial Arts has neat stuff if you're into nonmagical fighting.

But really all you need is Characters, Campaigns, and a willingness to modify stats. You can play any genre you want.

Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:05 am
WAR SysOp

The one thing I can never accept in GURPS is the 1 second round. How you can draw a pair of revolvers, empty them, and take a step in 1 second is beyond me.

However, agreed. 4th ed is fun. the only universal complaint is the fact the main core rule book is in 2 parts (Characters and Campaigns). Makes extra weird for finding page numbers when some of them aren't in the same book. o_o

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:57 pm
WAR SysOp

Oh, and on that note, 4th Ed DnD will be out in June. I have the books on preorder for dirt cheap, so if they end up sucking, I'm only out 10 bucks. :P I'll post a review once I have a chance to look through them, probably June 15th or so.

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:58 pm
Chibi-Czar

Christopher Fiss wrote:
The one thing I can never accept in GURPS is the 1 second round. How you can draw a pair of revolvers, empty them, and take a step in 1 second is beyond me.

A) You have obviously not watched enough Chow Yun Fat movies.
B) Revolvers have an ROF of 2 or 3, and attack actions don't allow you to run the mechanics of them faster than that- you can fire full ROF on both revolvers with an "Extra Attack" Advantage, and if you've got fastdraw (pistol) nice and high. But altogether you're looking at probably 25-30 points spent before you even start worrying about whether you actually hit anything. :P

Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:51 pm
Cherub

Being the total World of Darkness fangirl that I am, my suggestion can be put into two words: Moar Mage. By this I mean Mage Revised, not that nWoD "Awakening" crap. Having said that, I know the stuff is out of print, not particularly easy to find and pretty darned expensive. If you're interested in virtual books, though, drivethrustuff.com has a pretty good selection.

As for anything else, I'm really not sure. I'm actually interested in some ideas here too - I've got PDF copies of many of the D&D sourcebooks, but what about other game titles that people like? (Since GURPS has already been mentioned, I'll take it under advisement, even if the name does sound like a gastrointestinal emission.)

Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:14 pm
Chibi-Czar

Kaminari wrote:
Being the total World of Darkness fangirl

1) No girls on the internet.
2) Claiming to be a girl on a nerdboard? You are so asking for it. :P
3) No girls on the internet.
4) From your post in the RPG_joining thread, do you know Fiss? If so, have I met you, then? Or are you a more recent friend I haven't met yet?
5) Are you actually Binky with a new account, just messing with us? 'cause, you know, no girls on the internet.

Kaminari wrote:
but what about other game titles that people like? (Since GURPS has already been mentioned, I'll take it under advisement,

GURPSGURPSGURPSGURPSGURPSGURPSGURPSGURPSGURPSGURPSGURPSGURPS.

Paranoia XP is a hilarious mockery of Big Brother conspiracy theory nuts, and only 1 book. If you're an anime-style fangirl, take a look at Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM) and its many expansion packs, or some of the Fuzion-based anime games published by R. Talsorian. They published Cyberpunk 2020, not to mention the official RPG games for Dominion Tank Police, BubbleGum Crisis, Sailor Moon, and even (ugh) Dragonball Z.

But seriously, GURPS is the best thing ever. You can fudge or buy rules for anything. Dinosaur robot cowboy ninja pirates? Totally easy. I've played a kung-fu mage, a hacker priest, and an immortal, terminally unlucky gadgeteer superhero in the last three campaigns I was in. It's an astonishingly flexible system; I hit it up after years of D&D 2E/3E and WOD/VtM, and it blew my mind.

Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:13 pm
Chibi-Czar

Christopher Fiss wrote:

Got tuned into this one this weekend, seemed a rather definite answer to your question. :P

Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:18 pm
WAR SysOp

No arguments that guns and certain other weapons can do 1 second round multiple shots...

But basically it makes talking useless, and reactionary replies to situational changes unrealistic. The "Stuff that takes <1 second" works great, but the stuff that takes more than 1 second gets weird fast.

Oh, and Kaminari is a co-worker, so be nice to her or she'll cut off your phone line. Mwahaha. Also I don't think Binky likes WoD enough to pretend to be a girl for it anyway, lol.

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:53 pm
Chibi-Czar

Hah, my only phone's with Rogers, so I'm immune. :P

Yeah, the whole reaction thing isn't hot. Of course once shooting starts diplomacy's not really the skill of choice- but I find it helps to dump rules (like the ones in D&D that just make me stomp all over the books) that insist that interpersonal skills require Standard Actions and rolls, replacing such actions as attacking or taking defensive actions. I mean, really, D&D says you can't intimidate someone while you're chopping their friend in half. Total nonsense.

So my solution is to allow diplomacy or intimidation rolls on top of other ones in combat, to an extent. I mean, I don't allow PCs to make intimidation rolls every round, but I'll let 'em try to calm things down in a firefight instead of just having Mindless Robot Guards shoot and shoot and shoot.

Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:14 am