It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 am

USA's Foriegn Policy 
Chibi-Czar

Location: Liverpool, England, HCCCP, Milky Way, Microsoft Universe XP ver 1.3.6
Post USA's Foriegn Policy
As a Brit, I'm kinda nervous as to what the USA's next moves on the world stage are going to be. Seeing that my government has in the past ignored some of the largest protests in history to follow the agenda of the outgoing administration. I was wondering if our American friends could give us the low-down on the candidates policies. My impressions are as follows:

McCain: Bush part 2.

Obama: Diplomacy bordering on appeasement.

Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:04 pm
Chibi-Czar

Post Re: USA's Foriegn Policy
Well, for what it's worth, from the token reactionary SOB's perspective...

Don't be too quick to dismiss McCain as a Bush-leaguer. Remember, this is the guy who Dubya had Karl Rove do the character assassination on back in the 2000 primaries. I rather doubt, for example, that he would have been as eager to do the Iraq campaign in the first place, but he does understand the concept of, "If you're stuck with it, try to fix it."

On Obama, I've heard the Neville Chamberlain comparison before, but I'm not sure it's entirely valid. OTOH, neither am I sure that the guy fully understands that there are, in fact, some groups out there who only negotiate in bad faith, with the intent of breaking any agreement before it's made.

Further, correspondent sayeth not...

"Tough times don't last. Tough people do."

"You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it."

Token Reactionary S.O.B.

Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:38 pm
WAR SysOp

I agree McCain won't necessarily be a "Cowboy Prez" like the poor folks of America (and the world) have had to suffer though the last 8 years. I'd be more worried about the GOP's influence than not, however. While McCain is a fairly decent person as far as I've read, seen and heard, he's also letting nutjobs join, run, and influence his race to the White House. Paying them back for all the "support" he's received may be one case where his honour and fairness end up hurting him and the rest of the administration.

There's wishful thinking that if Obama wins he should pick McCain (or someone like McCain) for something like foreign affairs.

Regardless of how competent Obama is going to be on the subjects of wars, the world and international policy in general, he's picked his Whitehouse-Race stance deliberately to cater to the people who are sick of hearing about Iraq. Considering that % of the US civilian body keeps growing, it was a smart move. Also, he's been careful not to say "we're just packing up and heading out, fuck them all" which is really good because I think a messy, quick pullout would destroy what little chances Iraq and Afghanistan have at fixing themselves long-term.

In other news, Obama is winning in the Early Voting results by a heavy margin. In a week we'll see what happens.

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:54 pm
Chibi-Czar

Location: Liverpool, England, HCCCP, Milky Way, Microsoft Universe XP ver 1.3.6
McCain running Obama's foreign policy team, or being part of an advisory committee with real hammer would be a decent solution, though right now it's completely unrealistic.

Like Fiss has said, McCain seems like a really decent guy whenever I've seen him speak; prepped and unprepped. But I really don't want Palin and some of the other people in his entourage getting near the White House and the BIG RED BUTTON. Then again maybe we've just not got reports of Obama's nutcases over here, or they're staying quiet for now.

Being a fan of Tony Benn (Wiki him) a former British Politician, I've come around to the fact that knee jerk responses to atrocities like Sept. 11th and the July 7th bombings are not the answer. Diplomacy (with gunboats ready to sail) may be the best option for countries like Iran. The whole gripe in that area is Palestine. Create the Palestine state and make Jerusalem a UN free city and suddenly things calm down a bit, or so the theory goes. How does this relate? Obama has said more about Palestine than McCain has, which may be were they can learn from each other. Obama should be less naive, but McCain must realise he must not just do what's best for the USA, but for the 'free world' that it leads currently.

Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:23 pm
Chibi-Czar

Interesting editorial on the Commentary blog today:

10 Reasons Why McCain Might Win

This just might be a horserace after all...

"You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it."

Token Reactionary S.O.B.

Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:51 pm
WAR SysOp

Obama is certainly treating it like a race, even with "polls giving him the victory". Good plan with the 10 + things that could go wrong.

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:26 am
Chibi-Czar

*ahem* Given my personal political leanings, I'm sure you'll understand if I don't think of those 10+ things as "wrong" :mrgreen:

Token Reactionary S.O.B.

Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:40 am