It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 am

The Removal of R&P, and Political Discussions 
WAR SysOp

Post The Removal of R&P, and Political Discussions
It seems that no good is coming from having an open forum on Religion or Politics, so I've decided to just say 'fuck it' and remove them completely.

However, because I love the gloriously missused tool that is free-speech so damn much, I figured the Rants section could now take over for anyone REALLY needing to say what they need to say about the above hot topics.

PLEASE NOTE: EVERYTHING SAID ON THE RANTS BOARD WILL BE UNMODERATED UNLESS IT CONFLICTS WITH THE WAR'S RULES. DO NOT BOTHER COMPLAINING IF YOU GET SUCKERED INTO A FLAME WAR HERE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED, AND I'VE ALREADY MADE ENOUGH CHANGES TO HOPEFULLY KEEP THE WAR CIVIL.

From here on in, the WAR is not for bitching. It is for the sharing of ideas, as I always wished it could be, even when discussing those horrible 'my opinion is better than your opinion!' topics.

It's clear that we, as a race, are still hung up on a lot of things (myself included) and I would rather that our limitations not poision the things we ARE good at: Like thinking, laughing and learning new things.

I hope everyone agrees with this decision, and that those who have been put off by the WAR's sometimes caustic environment will come on back and post some cool shit again. ^_^

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:43 pm
Chibi-Czar

Location: Liverpool, England, HCCCP, Milky Way, Microsoft Universe XP ver 1.3.6
It's the end of the world as we know it...and we all feel fine. Cumbaya and free love etc.

Meh. Probably a good move Fiss mate.

Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:10 pm
Chibi-Czar

yeah, i'd pretty much withdrawn what input I gave in that. ah well. we keep moving forwards.

Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:00 pm
Chibi-Czar

R&P and Politics migth account for 99% of the flamewars, but they also account for about 75% of the posts...

"Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step to true panic."
--Freefall

A file that big?
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.
-- David J. Liszewski

Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:07 pm
WAR SysOp

This is true. But also, the amount of active posters has dropped due to people bickering for various reasons. I'd rather have people troll and enjoy it than post until they got sick of it and left all mad. :)

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:25 pm
Chibi-Czar

An oxymoron statement that exists in so many history books.

Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:45 pm
Chibi-Czar

[tongue-in-cheek]Well, if the rest of you would quit drinking the Politically-Correct Flave o' th' Month Kool-Aid...[/tongue-in-cheek] :P

All BS aside, I'm compelled to admit that I largely quit writing posts in PD and R&P because the folks offering the propositions for debate seemed to have already made up their minds - why confuse 'em with mere facts? Nobody seemed willing to give serious consideration to the concept that, just this one time, the other guy might have the right of it - and, even if the other guy's wrong, that by itself doesn't make him a stupid, vicious, asshole. (Note: I don't necessarily except myself from that criticism, but I have made a conscious effort to at least try to avoid that particular logical fallacy.)

I lament the loss of those two topics - I don't learn anything from conversing only with those who agree with me. But, it's probably for the best - I learn even less from getting napalmed by those who napalm anybody who doesn't quote book, chapter, and verse from their pet doctrine...

"Tough times don't last. Tough people do."

"You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it."

Token Reactionary S.O.B.

Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:47 pm
Head Pollster

I'll be honest; it's a damn shame. Lately, I thought things had been getting better - by which I mean, there was still some heated exchanges, but the really nasty stuff, usually between, yes, me and Tozetre, had died down. The discussions about Lebanon and Gaza, I thought, were toward the heated side, but still pretty civil. And I echo AM's point; there were heated words, but, at least for awhile, quite a high proportion of participation.

However.

What's done is done, and I'm glad to hear that things of a political or religious nature are still welcome on the board. I guess we'll see how things go. :)

INCLUDING THE ABOVE SENTENCE.

HAVE FUN! :D

Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:37 pm
WAR SysOp

Exactly. I don't want to shut anyone up...but I think it was fair to say: Change the venue just in case. This will allow people to vent a little more, and/or still post interesting things here (or in Current Events for "info only" and any 'disagreements' can come here.)

Christopher Fiss
W.A.R. SysOp

Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:34 pm
Chibi-Czar

*puts on a minority hat* i never or very hardly posted in those sections.... too much things to comprehend and long posts most of the time

Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:02 pm