It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:36 pm

A friends work. 
Doom Lobster

Post A friends work.
A good friend of mine recently wrote this essay/freeform poetry thing, and being a person who thought it was rather good decided to share his work with everyone. I would have encouraged my friend to share unfortunately his computer recently up and died on him. (And yes he did give me permission.)

My Greatest Gift?

I am a dreamer.

That is what I am. It is my greatest gift, but my greatest failing.
With it I dream of worlds beyond my reach and revel in them, but I become blind to the world that lays about me, and life pasts me by. Though this does not sadden me, but there are things in life that I leave untended, and one day that may very well be my undoing.

I am a dreamer.

And there is nothing I can do about. I don?t even know why, it is simply a fact.
I dream, that is what I do, but it is not always for the best. At the time when I try to reconnect myself with the world of reality, I am only half there, the rest of me drifts through thoughts, always tugging at the rest of me, always drawing me back to my nature, a constant distraction that has no end.

I am a dreamer.

For better or worse, I run across fields, the wind roaring as it rushes to keep up. Yet in the world I grew round, my body slow, but my mind is free.
I bear few regrets for in the world of shadows, all is well. My life is nothing but a shadow as I dream beyond. But I try to live here, in the world of flesh and bone, but my nature calls and I can?t escape. Try as I might, my two worlds do not join, not now but one day I dream? I hope that I can find a way. Until then the dreams call to me, always.

I am a dreamer?

Now and forever. Gifted, or cursed to bear a child?s view of the world, even through the trials of an adult. At times it is a freedom, at others, it bears a heavy weight upon me. I wish to see the world of life as it should be, but I am a dreamer and I never want to lose that. I am afraid that, if given the choice between one or the other, I would choose the land of dreams.

I am a dreamer?

In the land of dreams and imagination I reside among kings and lords, godly and immortal, but here I am but a man, doomed to die with the passage of time. My dreams are my children, and I would never forsake them, not even for the greatest of gifts. The dreams drew me in, and I can never fully leave them behind.

I am a dreamer?

Though I am lord within my dreams, I am not lord over my dreams.
They came as they will, regardless of my whims, though I never resist very hard, the dreams are what I hold dear. One day I shall master them, until then I dream.

I am a dreamer

Even now I hear them; the sound of a sword being drawn, the tribal noises as feet dance about a fire, whispers on the wind, the scream of a dieing warrior forgotten on the field of battle. They are always there, giving me my stories, my greatest gift. But every gift has a price, mine is the world of the living.

I am a dreamer

I it shall forever pull me in. The stories of heroes and evils, all whirl through my head. A content distraction only ceased through the funneling of their energies, pulling me away from the needed attentions of life. I bear not woman, trade or wealth, and often I wonder why, but the answer is always there? for I am a dreamer, wasting my labours as I struggle to keep my mind in the here rather then the there, but always they call, my greatest failing.

Forever the dreamer? My greatest gift, and my greatest failing.

Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:25 am